You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Pros and Cons of living in a tourist destination

Champ

I saw threads entitled 'Edinburgh' and 'York' in succession recently and was about to start one called 'Widnes'. Living in a tourist trap can be a pain, but there are loads of places where the populace must gaze longingly at the big castle or church, built somewhere else in days of yore, and wish it had been them.

Friend of a friend owns a house in Byron Bay in northern NSW. Fucks off at the beginning of December every year and returns in February, rents the place out to tourists over the school summer holidays. Makes enough to live on for the year - the prices, especially over Xmas/New Year are stupid.

My wifes cousin owns a restaurant in Byron Bay.

I saw threads entitled 'Edinburgh' and 'York' in succession recently and was about to start one called 'Widnes'. Living in a tourist trap can be a pain, but there are loads of places where the populace must gaze longingly at the big castle or church, built somewhere else in days of yore, and wish it had been them.

I really like where I live, for all its tourists. I've lived in grim enough places and am happy to put up with French kids and Chinese photomaniacs, if that's what it takes...

I really like where I live, for all its tourists. I've lived in grim enough places and am happy to put up with French kids and Chinese photomaniacs, if that's what it takes...

Kind is similar, I grew up in a part of Halewood that got rough as fuck over the 20 years l lived there. I also lived in a shitty part of Leeds for a year.

Lived in some boss places since then, both in Liverpool and over here in Aus. Now I’m St Kilda, live over the road from the beach, next road along from the main drag of shops and restaurants, can see Luna park from the roof. Place is always full of tourists, even in the winter, but it’s a fucking boss place to live, so no wonder it’s full of tourists. Take the rough with the smooth.

If global warming and rising sea levels ever pits the Grenadier and Mackets on a smilies vibe I may well move back and battle the tourists there, but for now, this will do.

It was an oblique joke referencing the assumptions people make when they see a bloke punching above his weight in the woman department. It was rubbish anyway.

You two make a nice couple, all the very best to you. And you still don't look a bit like Alvin Stardust.

cheers.  And be careful crossing that road.

Kind is similar, I grew up in a part of Halewood that got rough as fuck over the 20 years l lived there. I also lived in a shitty part of Leeds for a year.

Lived in some boss places since then, both in Liverpool and over here in Aus. Now I’m St Kilda, live over the road from the beach, next road along from the main drag of shops and restaurants, can see Luna park from the roof. Place is always full of tourists, even in the winter, but it’s a fucking boss place to live, so no wonder it’s full of tourists. Take the rough with the smooth.

If global warming and rising sea levels ever pits the Grenadier and Mackets on a smilies vibe I may well move back and battle the tourists there, but for now, this will do.

Fuck Cornwall this is where i want to be

To be fair mate, I’ve never been to Cornwall.

I’ll do yer a fortnight’s house swap next June.

You can go and see the penguins, cold as fuck though!

Hang on, penguins? I like, err....... assumed you were in the Caribbean. Fuck that

Very nice

Would love to be a position to move to the arse end of nowhere. Preferably near some mountains and a lake

There is a lot of woodland for sale in Northumberland, but they always have absolutely ridiculous covenants on them which has stopped me from doing it.

I'd love to be able to fuck off into the middle of nowhere like that.