You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How confident do you feel for next season?

Section_31

It's the first time in a long time I don't see a side better than ours on paper. 6's and 7's sure, we can, and more than likely will, lose the odd game. Having said that, I think through the squad we've got the talent, and we have the man in charge to get it done. As far as I'm concerned we can win every competition we're in, but I think with the fixture build up the FA cup will see us out to a side that has no business beating us, probably Millwall.

I think it’s important city lose/drop points early so that teams actually believe and see a tangible way to take them on. For us, we need to eradicate the silly draws, irs always been an issue for us drawing too many games. Last season we were absolutely fucked by giving away too many cheap goals and a litany oh bad decisions against us, Watford opening day 2 points, Burnley at home stone Waller on Salah not given 2 points, Newcastle away Joselu the most jammy goal you’ll ever see 2 points, Chelsea at home willian’s Fucking cross into the top corner 2 points , Spurs Lamela offside and dive 2 points, Arsenal away capitulation 2 points, West Brom A capitulation + hegazi red card and blatant pen on Ings, denied around 6 penalties at OT, Stoke at home Pieters handball from around 12 yards away. Everton Home and away 4 points, all need to be improved upon we should aim for 90 points as an absolute minimum, we’re good enough to do it.

I agree with he central defenders worries , but looking at our immediate rivals I don't see anybody's options that I am massively envious about. ( City are probably best if Kompany stays fit ) If we can keep VvD and Lovren together we probably have the best 'two'.

MU - Smalling / Lindelof / Bailly / Jones / Rojo

MC - Laporte / Otamendi / Stones / Kompany

TH - Sanchez / Vertonghen / Aldeweireld ?

Ch - Luiz / Christensen / Azpilicueta / Rudiger / Cahill

Ar -  Mustafi / Holding / Koscielny / Papadopoulos

Would feel a lot more confident if we had a world class partner for vvd.

It has been a great window but we need more depth. Moreno and karius are ticking time bombs. Lallana and sturridge are perma crocks.

We still need lb cover, coutinho replacement, a partner for Virgil and a back up striker to make it almost perfect imo.

If we stay fit we should challenge.

We have some deadwood that will raise funds and maybe we can fill in the gaps in January.

Watching the last couple of friendlies has increased my confidence because of two specific areas we seem to have improved (albeit in games that don’t matter).

1. Playing it out from the back. A goalkeeper that doesn’t look like he’s shitting himself with the ball at his feet increases everyone else’s confidence to play, knowing he’s there behind him. Both Karius and Mignolet were terrified to have the ball and it showed through the team. VvD helps no end in that regard too, and I’ve liked what Fabinho does when he receives the ball deep facing his own goal. Hendo twatting it 5 yards back to a defender with a hit and miss First touch isn’t great for playing out confidently.

2. Interplay around the box. United used to win the league often by beating teams into submission in the final minutes, winning games they were losing with 2 minutes to go and just never giving in, but aside from that Arsenal first, and especially City now, beat the shit teams that come for a draw by clever, patient and intricate play around the box.

Anyone daft enough to come and try to play against us is likely going to get bummed. That was clear last year and looks even more likely now, so we’ll see even more come and defend deep and that’s what we’ve struggled against.

But... the last couple of games have had some really lovely close play around the box. Not in the patient style of arsenal or city, but in our own fast way, but definitely different to last year. Shakiri has actually played into that more than I expected and having Fabinho deep seems to allow Wijnaldum to get more involved, and Keïta looks set to help in that regard too.

I echo what everyone else is saying about luck with injuries, and I think we’re still a very long shot to better City over a full season, but those two things more than anything have me feeling more positive than I did even a month ago.

The centre back depth is fine. Only issue is they might be injury prone. 

I'd never seen Nat Phillips before last night.  He looks like he could be trusted in a cup game or two and then, who knows...?

I'm less concerned about the centre-backs than I was last year, not only because (injuries permitting) we've got Van Dijk for a full season, but also because the goalkeeper behind them and the midfielders in front of them are so much stronger; there's less danger of them being exposed.

We play chelsea at the end of september which is good as it means that their new goalie could still be bedding in. Looking at our fixtures, some very tough early aways but if we can come through them we can do it.

City are favourites but that is more because of their squad. Should Aguero or De Bruyne be out for a large part of the season, then that will reduce them considerably. We need a bit of luck in this regard. I do think City will fall back to 88-93 points as they will be going for the champions league more this year. That is catchable.

Spurs have a strong spine. United are angst filled teenagers that are full of bad attitude but on paper could be up there. I hope the Pogba/mourinho civil war divides them as i think they can't stand each other. Arsenal are going to improve a lot. Chelsea are dark horses for the title but a lot depends on how good the new goalie is.

I haven't felt this confident of winning the title since the summer we bought Collymore.

1 liverpool

2 man city

3 chelsea

Watching the last couple of friendlies has increased my confidence because of two specific areas we seem to have improved (albeit in games that don’t matter).

1. Playing it out from the back. A goalkeeper that doesn’t look like he’s shitting himself with the ball at his feet increases everyone else’s confidence to play, knowing he’s there behind him. Both Karius and Mignolet were terrified to have the ball and it showed through the team. VvD helps no end in that regard too, and I’ve liked what Fabinho does when he receives the ball deep facing his own goal. Hendo twatting it 5 yards back to a defender with a hit and miss First touch isn’t great for playing out confidently.

2. Interplay around the box. United used to win the league often by beating teams into submission in the final minutes, winning games they were losing with 2 minutes to go and just never giving in, but aside from that Arsenal first, and especially City now, beat the shit teams that come for a draw by clever, patient and intricate play around the box.

Anyone daft enough to come and try to play against us is likely going to get bummed. That was clear last year and looks even more likely now, so we’ll see even more come and defend deep and that’s what we’ve struggled against.

But... the last couple of games have had some really lovely close play around the box. Not in the patient style of arsenal or city, but in our own fast way, but definitely different to last year. Shakiri has actually played into that more than I expected and having Fabinho deep seems to allow Wijnaldum to get more involved, and Keïta looks set to help in that regard too.

I echo what everyone else is saying about luck with injuries, and I think we’re still a very long shot to better City over a full season, but those two things more than anything have me feeling more positive than I did even a month ago.

Disagree about Karius with the ball at his feet,he was actually pretty decent and why Klopp persisted with him over Mignolet. His hands however!!