You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chickity China the West Bromwich chicken

Chip Butty

You eat a drum stick and your arse starts weepin

Seriously though, this is a disgrace. Never mind the the 3 year plus dark cloud over the 50% + compylobactor shocker or, the other dark cloud of growth hormones pumped into chickens and then the woeful and disgraceful conditions they're kept in. This surely must make people think its time to pack in the Zen like properties of a KFC, does it not?......

• Upvote 1

Just checked BBC News to see if there was anything there, and the only thing I can find is an article where the Food Standards Agency are suggesting that people shouldn't wash raw chicken as it spreads the bacteria. No, the problem isn't caused by washing the chicken, but the careless way in which people handle everything once they've touched raw chicken. You see it on cookery shows all the time, where the chefs handle raw meat and with unwashed hands, start reaching for all the oil, seasoning and everything they're going to use. That's how the contamination spreads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-27864423/food-safety-raw-chicken-should-not-be-washed

Food safety: Raw chicken 'should not be washed'

Consumers are being warned to stop washing raw chicken, as doing so increases the risk of food poisoning.

An online survey of 4,500 UK adults by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) found 44% washed chicken before cooking.

But experts have warned this spreads campylobacter bacteria onto hands, work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment, through the splashing of water droplets.

Andy Moore reports.

I have to be honest, I'm finding it harder and harder to justify the consumption of meat or animal products in general. The entire industry is inherently untrustworthy, and the processes used to get the animal to my plate are pretty disgusting.

The missus is entirely plant based, bout time I joined her.

• Upvote 1

As a vegetarian of 20 years, I hope the punishment meted out to that chicken killer is a week crouching in a 2x2 foot cage.

I did enjoy The Guardian's discussion of Tesco's marketing swindle whereby they've created the name of a twee-sounding wholesome English farm, Willow Farm, and plastered it on low-grade, mass produced murdered animals to make it sound like a small, personalised, cottage industry based on a traditional old farm in the Cotswolds.

Look at the name, don't engage with the concept of the product's origins (ie on the back or sides of a living animal), and place it in your trolley.  All's well with the world.  Well, global capitalism, anyway...

• Upvote 1

I have to be honest, I'm finding it harder and harder to justify the consumption of meat or animal products in general. The entire industry is inherently untrustworthy, and the processes used to get the animal to my plate are pretty disgusting.

The missus is entirely plant based, bout time I joined her.

Aren't you the one who wanted to buy a leather trenchcoat from Top Man?

As a vegetarian of 20 years, I hope the punishment meted out to that chicken killer is a week crouching in a 2x2 foot cage.

I did enjoy The Guardian's discussion of Tesco's marketing swindle whereby they've created the name of a twee-sounding wholesome English farm, Willow Farm, and plastered it on low-grade, mass produced murdered animals to make it sound like a small, personalised, cottage industry based on a traditional old farm in the Cotswolds.

Look at the name, don't engage with the concept of the product's origins (ie on the back or sides of a living animal), and place it in your trolley. All's well with the world. Well, global capitalism, anyway...

I love this place.