You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

11 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

That could very well be the case. Horrific to think that bomber crews would jettison bombs wherever they wanted just to make sure they got home and fuck everyone else.

I'm only going on my area but it was the same all over, damage was done in the surrounding countryside where you wouldn't expect it, no where was completely safe because of that. 

They had aerial reconaissance photos which were quite clear, but at night, at 10,000+ feet it's incredibly difficult to be accurate. The RAF conducted a survey of their raids in 1942 and discovered that something like 5% of the bombs they dropped fell within a couple of miles of the target. One of the first things Harris did when he took over Bomber Command was to target ports, because they were so much easier to find. Even then, the idea was to bomb areas, if you couldn't hit the vital installations you could disrupt services and dehouse workers. The Americans believed that by bombing in daylight they could hit targets precisely, but it's not clear that they were successful.

law_11.jpg

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Frank Dacey said:

They had aerial reconaissance photos which were quite clear, but at night, at 10,000+ feet it's incredibly difficult to be accurate. The RAF conducted a survey of their raids in 1942 and discovered that something like 5% of the bombs they dropped fell within a couple of miles of the target. One of the first things Harris did when he took over Bomber Command was to target ports, because they were so much easier to find. Even then, the idea was to bomb areas, if you couldn't hit the vital installations you could disrupt services and dehouse workers. The Americans believed that by bombing in daylight they could hit targets precisely, but it's not clear that they were successful.

law_11.jpg

Didn't they find a UXB in Burscough a year or so ago? Which would be some way off target, 20 miles? 

It must of been terrifying in the black out, listening to the drone of incoming aircraft especially if you lived close to the river. 

I went to the Bootle Town Hall some time ago to see the exhibition of photos of the carnage,quite something to have had to live through that. 

They also had detailed plans of Coventry which had quite a few important production factories all in a relatively small radius of each other, not to mention the the houses within. 

By no means were all the bombs dropped aerodynamic, which might have enabled them to be 'aimed' more accurately. They dropped parachute mines, which were largely metal cans packed with explosives. Of course parachutes would be vulnerable to any winds and so could easily be blown off course. They dropped one on Orrell Park, where I grew up, and destroyed a pub, some houses and shops and damaged a couple of shops. I daresay they'd hoped to hit the docks.

The Coventry raid was notorious for the Germans using an early direction finding device which enabled them to pinpoint a target well inland and do an enormous amount of damage, but once the British worked out what they were doing they could jam the signal.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, stringvest said:

6195671959_8f6fa83733_o.jpg

6196183486_bcab6be983_o.jpg

Exchange Station

When we worked on Formby and Freshfield for Manpower Services we had to build a rough road and car park and apparently the hard core we used was from the Exchange Station which was being demolished sadly, that was 1978.

I can't remember the Station even though I was often on the Liverpool to Southport line, but I don't think it used to terminate at Exchange or maybe it did at one time? 

5 hours ago, easytoslip said:

When we worked on Formby and Freshfield for Manpower Services we had to build a rough road and car park and apparently the hard core we used was from the Exchange Station which was being demolished sadly, that was 1978.

I can't remember the Station even though I was often on the Liverpool to Southport line, but I don't think it used to terminate at Exchange or maybe it did at one time? 

Yes, that's where the Southport and Ormskirk lines terminated before they built the underground to Central.  In fact, it was possible to get trains direct to Preston and Glasgow from Exchange.  

While I'm in train spotter mode...

125761879_10158824580332491_6756184087238661184_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

17 hours ago, stringvest said:

Yes, that's where the Southport and Ormskirk lines terminated before they built the underground to Central.  In fact, it was possible to get trains direct to Preston and Glasgow from Exchange.  

While I'm in train spotter mode...

125761879_10158824580332491_6756184087238661184_n.jpg

I thought it did, I know remember the underground being built as met someone working on it when I was walking through Cases St at that time. 

I think your right about the train services to further afield, Exchange looks a so much better though. There's plenty of forgotten stations dotted around the area and especially disused lines that run all over the city and surrounding areas. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I thought it did, I know remember the underground being built as met someone working on it when I was walking through Cases St at that time. 

I think your right about the train services to further afield, Exchange looks a so much better though. There's plenty of forgotten stations dotted around the area and especially disused lines that run all over the city and surrounding areas. 

I was never off the ralla, though a bit dodgy when you got out of your area, walking up to Aintree from ours, first was the Dodge then further up the line some other cunts also in Crombies. 

14 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just imagine a government policy to open up all those disused railway lines and stations again,it would be fantastic. Of course it wont happen but it would be great and a good way to ease traffic congestion.

It would be good that though as you say it won't happen, but you would think that someone could of thought of that years ago. 

I suppose some have become a bit of a wildlife haven now, where our stretch was, from Linacre Rd Litherland up to behind the Giro and Chicken Factory is all overgrown and reclaimed by nature, plus its all closed off, who knows what beasts lurk down there. 

Even if it was places to walk or cycle tracks, some have, would be sound. 

Despite being no spring chicken I had no knowledge of this magnificent looking place , The Customs House , which was on the Liverpool One site. The story says it was damaged in WW2 and pulled down a few years after it finished. Pictured here from the Town Hall down Castle St. The 4th grace it is described as.

2_Echo-archives-for-September-25.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...