You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Upcoming Games

Allan

19 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It looks like Square Enix still see PC gamers as nerdy geeks who spend money on literally anything. They don't do anything like that on other formats. They haven't quite moved with the times, whereas capcom were at one point on their knees and had to change to be successful again. 

I guess Square don't really need the money, they just see PC releases as extra pocket money. 

Yeah, considering they've gone EGS-exclusive for many recent games I don't think they've got much faith in their games or the PC market. Stupid really, a bit of effort and a day and date Steam release and they'd probably do very well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

FKwtR9zWUAUb-P9?format=jpg&name=medium

Hopefully the people who picked up the recent car crash that was GTA 3 Remastered will be getting their copy of the new game half price?

Didn't think so.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

Hopefully the people who picked up the recent car crash that was GTA 3 Remastered will be getting their copy of the new game half price?

Didn't think so.

I'd be surprised if that blunder didn't play a part in the decision to release the news they're in development.

Nice little diversion.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, skend04 said:

It's getting great reviews. Mine should be delivered tomorrow and think I could be playing this for a while.

Holy fuck! 97% on 45 reviews! Lowest so far is 9/10!!

14 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont know whether to get this, if it will be too frustrating. 

Have you played Bloodborne, Sekiro or Dark Souls?

I'd probably suggest playing Bloodborne (it's free on PS Plus I think) before getting Elden Ring, especially if you've not played any From Software games before.

Dark Souls 3 is probably going to be the closest thing in terms of the combat. They are punishing, but if you're intrigued then I think they are worth having a go at. There are always ways to mitigate the difficulty, and there's a lot of help out there to help new players to get used to the more obtuse mechanics.

Elden Ring being open means that you can at least enjoy the exploration.

One small but significant thing people often don't realise is you can save and quit anywhere, so you aren't tied into getting back to a bonfire/lantern before ending your session.

Sekiro has just about clicked for me, so I'll be torn between the two. Terrible timing.

8 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I plan to wait, I imagine a few will buy it, get frustrated then sell it on. Hopefully a lot of second hand copies in a few weeks. 

I will then buy second hand, get frustrated and sell on.

Frustrating is very apt for the Souls games. I don't mind them being 'hard', but endlessly doing the same bits again and again gets old very quickly. It doesn't help that they're quite janky and getting stuck in the scenery is pretty much insta-death, to say nothing of hit boxes not being clear, especially for bosses. Also, I got parrying off perfect in the first Dark Souls, and they changed the timing for DS3- after 2-3 hours of practicing and still not getting it right, I gave up.

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Dark Souls 3 is probably going to be the closest thing in terms of the combat. They are punishing, but if you're intrigued then I think they are worth having a go at. There are always ways to mitigate the difficulty, and there's a lot of help out there to help new players to get used to the more obtuse mechanics.

Elden Ring being open means that you can at least enjoy the exploration.

One small but significant thing people often don't realise is you can save and quit anywhere, so you aren't tied into getting back to a bonfire/lantern before ending your session.

Sekiro has just about clicked for me, so I'll be torn between the two. Terrible timing.

I only suggested Bloodborne because it's free and I don't think Dark Souls 3 is so it will give you enough of a flavour of the mechanics and difficulty spikes in those type of games without having to shell out for another game.

If Dark Souls 3 is free as well then go for that.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Frustrating is very apt for the Souls games. I don't mind them being 'hard', but endlessly doing the same bits again and again gets old very quickly. It doesn't help that they're quite janky and getting stuck in the scenery is pretty much insta-death, to say nothing of hit boxes not being clear, especially for bosses. Also, I got parrying off perfect in the first Dark Souls, and they changed the timing for DS3- after 2-3 hours of practicing and still not getting it right, I gave up.

And then transfer that to a vast open world with very little in the way of hand holding, map markers or quest information.

Sounds like you need a pen and paper to keep track of NPC's, quests etc (which is no bad thing but may be a bit intense for lots of people).

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

And then transfer that to a vast open world with very little in the way of hand holding, map markers or quest information.

Sounds like you need a pen and paper to keep track of NPC's, quests etc (which is no bad thing but may be a bit intense for lots of people).

Yeah, but there are people who want to feel they've done everything and people who will want to organically pursue certain ones. Bodes well for letting your experience and preferences drive how the world reveals itself.

Interesting to see how smoothly things progress in an open setting though. Wouldnt want to miss a Solaire equivalent because I accidentally ran into the wrong boss room...

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

I only suggested Bloodborne because it's free and I don't think Dark Souls 3 is so it will give you enough of a flavour of the mechanics and difficulty spikes in those type of games without having to shell out for another game.

If Dark Souls 3 is free as well then go for that.

Totally. BB's also probably the best world building out of the lot, still my favourite, even if I haven't actually beaten the final boss yet...

It's about what grabs/interests. If elden ring, is what is interesting to someone then don't get hung up on it, don't give yourself homework. Just expect that you'll have to get through the learning curve. 

There is a "tutorial dungeon" in ER to cover the basics, after all.