You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Been away for a few days.. read the highlights of the last 2 pages and guessed we are signing Deli Alli, Not signing Douglas Costa and Kevin Stewart is the next Jordan Ibe.. Am I up to date?

Arsenal to bid a pound for Sturridge if he proves his fitness.

• Upvote 1

If he gets in the Brighton first eleven, and you'd have to imagine a promoted side spending £10m on a player suggests he would, they will finish the season with about 12 points.

Does that mean if he had played for us this season, we would have got 12 more points than we have now? Damn, we could have won the League this season after all.

Arsenal to bid a pound for Sturridge if he proves his fitness.

I've heard we will include a quarter pounder with chips so that if Sturridge doesn't pass a medical, at least Wenger will have some lunch to eat.

£4.5m for the best young player in the football league was hardly an outrageous amount. If anything it was an absolute bargain at the time.

Said in retrospect. The reality is if one of our main signings that summer was a sub 5 million league 1 (or league 2?) player people would have been apoplectic.

If he wasn't one of our main signings he would have been packed off to the reserves and may not have developed as quickly.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Said in retrospect. The reality is if one of our main signings that summer was a sub 5 million league 1 (or league 2?) player people would have been apoplectic.

If he wasn't one of our main signings he would have been packed off to the reserves and may not have developed as quickly.

That's not true. He would've been too talented to play in the reserves. We missed out on arguably the best young player in Europe in Alli because £5m was considered too expensive. It was a stupid mistake, no point pretending otherwise.

• Upvote 3

fe6a6bca3deb5eaa895c9787ae5d6205.jpg

x

You edited your post just in time, well done.

Happy to put it back, it just seems odd to be using one of the top couple of richest clubs in the world and a club with the poorest team in decades who have just been taken over by chinese investors who could elevate them up into the richest or at the very least have the ability to add dubious revebue streams.

You seem oddly obsessed with bribing players with cash while being oblivious to the circumstances rhat facilitate it.

• Upvote 1

That's not true. He would've been too talented to play in the reserves. We missed out on arguably the best young player in Europe in Alli because £5m was considered too expensive. It was a stupid mistake, no point pretending otherwise.

It's nothing to do with talent and everything to do with perception and enviroment.

Nobody knew how good he could be and, through no fault of his own, he would have been judged on what his signing represented before a ball had been kicked.

Happy to put it back, it just seems odd to be using one of the top couple of richest clubs in the world and a club with the poorest team in decades who have just been taken over by chinese investors who could elevate them up into the richest or at the very least have the ability to add dubious revebue streams.

You seem oddly obsessed with bribing players with cash while being oblivious to the circumstances rhat facilitate it.

It wasn't me who brought Milan into it, and I agree with you that Milan was a bad example.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't the transfer fee but his wage demands or something like that. I'm not saying that makes a huge difference to the point but I think that was the official line.

Edit:

Here's what Ayre said:

"There was interest in the player, but where it got to was that the demands at that time were not fitting to what he had achieved at that point,"

"We didn't feel the player matched that demand. It's easy to sit and say 'look what you could have bought', but how many players could you apply the reverse of that to? That's the truth."

Actually, that's quite ambiguous

We're the 9th richest club in the world. 

Based on what, the Deloitte richest clubs tables have us 8th based on club value and 9th based on revenue but that only tell's part of the story.

Based on the last set of accounts from PL teams (via swiss ramble) we have the 12th highest cash balance,  3rd highest gross debt, 6th highest wages to turnover, highest wage growth in the year (and over the last 5 years), 3rd highest wage bill, 2nd highest profit on player sales (4th over 5 years), 4th highest match day revenue, 4th highest commercial revenue, 4th highest revenue growth (5th over 5 years),  11th highest revenue growth, 5th highest revenue, 5th highest EBITDA, 14th in profit/loss before tax (loss)

The other thing we need to factor in is the cost of doing business in our market. Everyone knows Prem teams have money, so prices go up accordingly.

It still doesn't change some underlying realities:

We have money, more than most, but not as much as a handful of elite clubs

We need to spend more than we have been lately

We need to spend it well

Oh, and Dele Ali was a mistake. Should have signed him. Even if we would have held him back a bit more than Spurs, the talent and desire is so obvious that the player would have come through.

Obviously there could be lots of similar tales that most clubs could tell, and that's the sort of point Ian Ayre is making, but it doesn't gloss over the fact that a mistake was made and he is now one of the best players in the Prem and worth perhaps £100M in this crazy market.

I don't agree at all. I've seen other posters on here urging us to sign players like Ryan Sessegnon this summer. 

Even if our sole transfer strategy was just signing The Football League's young player of the year every season we would've ended up with Gareth Bale, Clyne, Zaha and Alli. You're talking hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players for a couple of million each. Nothing wrong with signing talented young players in the football league for £4.5m. We spent more on Grujic, Luis Alberto and Ilori.

• Upvote 1

The thing that grates the most with Ali is the circumstances. Not only was he the boyhood fan who idolised Stevie, he's turned out to be his natural successor in the English game. He could have had a year under his wing. I don't begrudge missing out on players, we can't sign them all but he was perfect for us.

I don't agree at all. I've seen other posters on here urging us to sign players like Ryan Sessegnon this summer. 

Even if our sole transfer strategy was just signing The Football League's young player of the year every season we would've ended up with Gareth Bale, Clyne, Zaha and Alli. You're talking hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players for a couple of million each. Nothing wrong with signing talented young players in the football league for £4.5m. We spent more on Grujic, Luis Alberto and Ilori.

How many are advocating Sessegnon as our first choice left back or a player to come in and play a significant number of games as opposed to one for the future?

The thing that grates the most with Ali is the circumstances. Not only was he the boyhood fan who idolised Stevie, he's turned out to be his natural successor in the English game. He could have had a year under his wing. I don't begrudge missing out on players, we can't sign them all but he was perfect for us.

He's perfect for us now, he wasn't perfect for us then.

Can't remember many saying he should come in and play 40 odd games for us in the first season.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't the transfer fee but his wage demands or something like that. I'm not saying that makes a huge difference to the point but I think that was the official line.

Edit:

Here's what Ayre said:

"There was interest in the player, but where it got to was that the demands at that time were not fitting to what he had achieved at that point,"

"We didn't feel the player matched that demand. It's easy to sit and say 'look what you could have bought', but how many players could you apply the reverse of that to? That's the truth."

Actually, that's quite ambiguous

Nice one Liverpool. Did we apply the same logic to signing Henderson? You know, the old "transfer fee, where we were at that time" way of thinking.