You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

Honestly. I don't know what we can do with him. His ego won't let him play as a conventional RB any more, this inverted stuff fucks up the shape of the entire team and he's too lazy to play in midfield.

50% of the problem is his attitude, he thinks he's Pirlo.

• Upvote 1

His cowering lack of any sort of challenge for DCL was shameful for a vice captain. Granted he shouldn’t have been on him but he didn’t anticipate or even attempt a challenge.

It was also noticeable that when he moved further right and wider for 5 mins he started getting the ball.

The issue isn’t inverting, and I think people need to accept all the top teams do that now. The issue is the fact that he now never goes out wide. You’re meant to do both. That’s either coaching and tactics or execution by the player but either way it’s wrong. 

Hopefully the new manger Jibs off playing him at RB - he's a midfielder all day long his vision and passing is exceptional. The ball he played in the first half yesterday when Salah ended up crossing & Everton just about cleared it is DeBruyne level ability. 

He thinks defending is above him, he was disgraceful for that first goal not so much the missed header - watch the replay he wonders away from goal instead of going back to mark his man that leads directly to the goal, never seen anything like it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Hopefully the new manger Jibs off playing him at RB - he's a midfielder all day long his vision and passing is exceptional. The ball he played in the first half yesterday when Salah ended up crossing & Everton just about cleared it is DeBruyne level ability. 

Just that the day hasn't started yet. When it does I doubt he goes all day.

It is one of KDB's abilities.

4 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Nothing wrong with his talent, vision or ability. That's about as good as it gets. A 9 or 10 for ability

The problem is attitude, willingness to do the dirty work and fight. A 1 of 10 for attitude,

He won't be the first player in history to sqander a brilliant career because he thinks he's to big for his own shoes.

10 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Nothing wrong with his talent, vision or ability. That's about as good as it gets. A 9 or 10 for ability

The problem is attitude, willingness to do the dirty work and fight. A 1 of 10 for attitude,

He won't be the first player in history to sqander a brilliant career because he thinks he's too big for his own shoes.

We are seeing this more and more though.  It’s odd and I don’t think we’ve seen it at this level from players who are technically this good.  Deli Alli has already fully gone despite that comical PR episode of Monday Night Football.  Rashford is probably in a similar place to Trent now.  It’s difficult to explain why they don’t address it or the managers indulge them in the first place.

Like when he gets home or back into work and watches back the game and the goals what is going through his mind.  I know he’s as thick as two short planks but there must be something in there where he thinks “shit that was my fault.  What could I do next time to stop it?”  He never does though.  He just keeps doing the same lazy shitbag stuff every  single game.

• Upvote 1

That's the problem, the hard stuff comes so easily to him, he forgets about the hard yards. That's what separates the great players from the could have been players. At the moment hes the walking definition of a luxury player. He's he most naturally talented player in our squad, possibly to the right hand side of midfield should be his position as he cant (or should that be wont?) defend for a toffee.

• Upvote 1

You free him up to get the best out of his obvious talent and try to minimise his obvious weakness. Before Howie comes back thinking I'm asking him to play in a back 3 like Tarkowski no. You still have a traditional back 4. You have 2 sitting midfielders. You have a front 3. Trent can just start from a deep position move into midfield knowing he has cover. If you don't think that is worth the hassle, sell him. Again I will say watch how Man City play. 4 central defenders or Walker, making a back 3 when Stones or Akanji go forward.

One big observation for me is the number of times he deliberately lets his man go when the other team is attacking. You can see him actively gambling on the other team losing the ball by holding a slightly more advanced position.  No other full back does it so I don't think it's by instruction.

His long balls piss me off too. One in ten looks incredible and the rest just give the ball away. It's great for YouTube compilations or Match of the Day highlights but it's not a productive way of attacking or playing.

29 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

That's the problem, the hard stuff comes so easily to him, he forgets about the hard yards. That's what separates the great players from the could have been players. At the moment hes the walking definition of a luxury player. He's he most naturally talented player in our squad, possibly to the right hand side of midfield should be his position as he cant (or should that be wont?) defend for a toffee.

Right.

If I was playing against Liverpool and my team had a corner, I'd place myself in behind or around Trent as I'd know I'd get a free header if the ball came my way. Wait a minute, not my idea. That was Calvert's idea wasn't it?

1 hour ago, Smell The Glove said:

You free him up to get the best out of his obvious talent and try to minimise his obvious weakness. Before Howie comes back thinking I'm asking him to play in a back 3 like Tarkowski no. You still have a traditional back 4. You have 2 sitting midfielders. You have a front 3. Trent can just start from a deep position move into midfield knowing he has cover. If you don't think that is worth the hassle, sell him. Again I will say watch how Man City play. 4 central defenders or Walker, making a back 3 when Stones or Akanji go forward.

I won't do that.

But can I point out City use this tactic not for added offensive creativity but defensive solidity - somebody has to at some point.

31 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I won't do that.

But can I point out City use this tactic not for added offensive creativity but defensive solidity - somebody has to at some point.

Fucking hell, you're as clueless as your North American mate. Have you watched them play at all this season or are you just guessing?

Clue. Kovacic.

See, I can do boring semantics as well without actually saying anything.

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

Fucking hell, you're as clueless as your North American mate. Have you watched them play at all this season or are you just guessing?

Man, one of us has definitely not. Rather than beating the same tired drum to the wrong beat how bout you put up some of the moments of creativity from that pair. Or any thing supporting your "idea." Cuz it is just yours - no one is agreeing with you so stating it as fact over and over again makes you look dim.

You are not dim are you?

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Man, one of us has definitely not. Rather than beating the same tired drum to the wrong beat how bout you put up some of the moments of creativity from that pair. Or any thing supporting your "idea." Cuz it is just yours - no one is agreeing with you so stating it as fact over and over again makes you look dim.

You are not dim are you?

I'm not asking anybody to agree with me. Why would I care on a forum throwing out ideas as to how to find a way for a seriously talented footballer to make Liverpool better. I could slag him off and ridicule every other poster but when asked  would you sell him, completely bottles the question.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I forgot to add Kyle Walker to your list.

So:

John Stones

Manuel Akanji

Jorginho

Declan Rice

Ben White

Kyle Walker

What do they all have in common?

The only ones you need to care about are Akanji and Stones for what I'm talking about. Another clue for you and what you are boringly alluding to is that he's not using them defensively.