You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bad Wool Behaviour

Section_31

The Scouse accent was Lancastrian for many years but since the overspill into the new towns,like here in Runcorn,its been dissolved into second and third generation woolyback accents. My accent is a mild one and my kids havent really got an accent either but there are plenty of either OTT scouse accents here or a horrible scouse/woolyback mix that makes you cringe. This is usually from the younger generations.

Canadian Tire.

They even have their own money with a lumberjack on it.

What you encountered in Quebec was more than likely a 'maudit anglais'. or damn english.

You did know it was the only place name I could think of that had both a B and a Q in it...?

(I actually took the time to google a Canadian DIY chain.}

*shame*

Whilst it can be annoying and ott I don't get the hate?

People being proud of where they come from shocker.

I'm not in agreement with exaggerating your accent and totally assuming anyone who's scouse is your mate but fucking hell. It's a great city with great spirit and uniqueness. Of course that has spawned over the top super scouse pride in some people.

It is quite funny bumping into a scouser abroad in my experience. A cunt is a cunt wherever they're from but I find most of the time I've come across one they'll be sound and you can share a quick joke or whatever and crack on with your day.

Completely agree with all that mate, but it's when it becomes the "I'm more Scouse than you" situation it starts to grate.

Im a fucking wool as my family moved from the city to southport when I was born, but I'm extremely proud to be associated with the area and the city and Scouse is far and away the best accent.

Proper Scouse that is, not lid Scouse.

• Upvote 1

Used to play for a team in Crosby and whenever we would play against a team from Burscough, Ormskirk or Southport the lads in our team would ramp up the scouseness and act hard. However, when playing anyone from Speke, Toxteth or Garston they would be quiet as a mouse.

We also had a cockney lad in our team and when we played the scally team from Speke he was just called a "wrong-un from Southport" even though he sounded like someone from Green Street.

• Upvote 1

Used to play for a team in Crosby and whenever we would play against a team from Burscough, Ormskirk or Southport the lads in our team would ramp up the scouseness and act hard. However, when playing anyone from Speke, Toxteth or Garston they would be quiet as a mouse.

We also had a cockney lad in our team and when we played the scally team from Speke he was just called a "wrong-un from Southport" even though he sounded like someone from Green Street.

Garston was posh back in the day, they had a Woolies. 

I've played in the Maghull and Lydiate league, the Craven Minor (Southport) and even Preston leagues. The soundest and best team we came up against were Civil Service in Liverpool. Quality team, very Scouse, but non of the hands down their shorts and flicky toe walk at all. Just there to play footy.

Playing for Formby mens a couple of times when I was 16 was a different kettle of fish though. People threatening to stab people after the game and loads of sqaure ups. I got threatened with a stabbing last year playing 5 a side behind the Formby Tesco by an uber Scouse Formbyite. I just don't understand why that is someone's priority when going for a game of footy.

The old school Scouse accent was basically a Dublin/irish accent mixed with a Welsh accent with hints of Lancastrian thrown in to create a really lovely accent. Listen to Scouse accents from then (even the Beatles) and it's sad to see the way our accent is going. It isn't a surprise that it was one of the most popular regional accents in Britain back then.

Our accent then spoke of song and warmth. The modern scally speaks of menace and aggression, despite the fact they would have gotten an almighty kicking in old school Liverpool.

• Upvote 6