You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another US Shooting

General Dryness

Concerned NRA Official Rushes Out To Purchase Congressman Following Mass Shooting

NEWS IN BRIEF June 13, 2016

VOL 52 ISSUE 23  ·  News · Death · Congress · Guns ·Violence

WASHINGTON—Admitting he felt “scared and nervous” after the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history at an Orlando, FL nightclub, NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre reportedly rushed out of his home early Monday to buy a congressman. “When I saw what happened in Orlando, I wanted to make sure that I was able to properly defend myself,” LaPierre told reporters after driving to the nearest congressional office to buy the most reliable and powerful legislator he could find. “I already have some others, but I figured getting one more couldn’t hurt, especially after something like this. It gives me peace of mind knowing that if I ever feel threatened or come under attack, I can always use my senators or representatives to fight back.” LaPierre added that he is simply glad to live in a country where he can freely and legally own as many elected officials as he wants in order to protect what he values most.

http://www.theonion.com/article/concerned-nra-official-rushes-out-purchase-congres-53084

• Upvote 2

Firstly, this is not even close to sufficient evidence, as you are speculating about a specific case with specific circumstances here.

It's not speculation. People have been killed in enormous quantitites with handguns before. It's up to you to demonstrate that there are reasons in this specific case why what has been true before could not be true here.

Secondly, in 4 of the 5 most deadly shootings in the US, semiautomatic rifles or submachineguns were used. Only 1 (Virginia Tech) had the exclusive use of handguns.

These were the 5 most deadly:

#1 - Pulse Nightclub - semiautomatic rifle

#2 - Virginia Tech - handguns

#3 - Sandy Hook - semiautomatic rifle

#4 - Luby's shooting - handguns

#5 - San Ysidro McDonald's massacre - handgun, shotgun and an Uzi

In other words, as many exclusively used handguns as exclusively used semiautomatic rifles.

What "arms" were they referring to? I said hanguns should be banned, you said that was against the "Constitution". Again, where does it mention handguns?

It mentions arms. What arms would you leave them with?

It's not speculation. People have been killed in enormous quantitites with handguns before. It's up to you to demonstrate that there are reasons in this specific case why what has been true before could not be true here.

It is speculation, every situation by definition has to be seen on it's own. You made a claim, you have to demonstrate it is true, otherwise it can be dismissed as conjecture. Comparisons with completely different events at completely different settings in completely different circumstances are not sufficient.

These were the 5 most deadly:

#1 - Pulse Nightclub - semiautomatic rifle

#2 - Virginia Tech - handguns

#3 - Sandy Hook - semiautomatic rifle

#4 - Luby's shooting - handguns

#5 - San Ysidro McDonald's massacre - handgun, shotgun and an Uzi

In other words, as many exclusively used handguns as exclusively used semiautomatic rifles.

Fair enough, the list I saw left out the Luby shooting for some reason.

It mentions arms. What arms would you leave them with?

What arms do you think they are referring to? I asked first ;)

You can call it conjecture if you want to. That wouldn't stop it from being a reasonable possibility.

I guess "arms" originally referred to flintlocks and muskets or something like that. I would find it hard to believe that they didn't intend for that to move with the times as technology improved, and the modern equivalents of those would be pistols and rifles of some kind.

Deffo banning guns would be a good start.

There's a bloke in our place who eats his dinner in his car, and I'm absolutely certain we'd all be dead now if this was America.

I do this. Fuck sitting in the lunch room and listening to hateful pricks banging on about reality TV, Faceaids and immigrants.

He had been to the gay club before and used gay chat/dating app called Jacked. This has been reported, I wasn't flirting with him on there. He's too young for me.

I've only seen bits and bobs of news but definitely not heard about him being on Jacked...you sure it's been reported?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You can call it conjecture if you want to. That wouldn't stop it from being a reasonable possibility.

I guess "arms" originally referred to flintlocks and muskets or something like that. I would find it hard to believe that they didn't intend for that to move with the times as technology improved, and the modern equivalents of those would be pistols and rifles of some kind.

Whilst I disagree with your 'as effective as assault rifles' stance (Any weapon with better accuracy, longer range, and larger magazines are more effective than those where the opposite is true), I agree with you on the constitutional bullshitery regarding 'arms'. More importantly, it doesn't just say 'the right to bear arms'. It says that ' well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed'. Well, forgive me if I'm wrong, but these shooters aren't part of a well regulated militia. Even if they were, the militia is pretty fucking ineffective against the American military. 

Ghay.

• Upvote 2

Whilst I disagree with your 'as effective as assault rifles' stance (Any weapon with better accuracy, longer range, and larger magazines are more effective than those where the opposite is true), I agree with you on the constitutional bullshitery regarding 'arms'. More importantly, it doesn't just say 'the right to bear arms'. It says that ' well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed'. Well, forgive me if I'm wrong, but these shooters aren't part of a well regulated militia. Even if they were, the militia is pretty fucking ineffective against the American military. 

Didn't have time to respond yet, but this is pretty much how I see it.

Also, the Constitution is good and well, but it should not be forgotten that it was put together in the 18th century by (educated and progressive) people who had an 18ths century frame of mind, education and knowledge. To just go on and assume to know what they must have meant, while progress in all areas of the world has long ago moved so far beyond anything they could even have come close to imagining is ridiculous. 

An armed "well regulated militia" was supposed to keep the people safe from foreign dangers and potential despots seizing power from within. How is that supposed to work though with what states have been starting to equip themselves with after WW1. 

To just assume a document written by humans, who are always children of their time, will in its enirety stand the test of time forever and ever is unrealistic and comes pretty close to bible thumping. There are ideas in there that may be "timeless", but that does not mean everything is (as the amendments have shown from very early on).

• Upvote 1

No worries, by the end of the week there will be another mass shooting, or some rapey swimmer kid with affluenza will get six months or a gorilla will get the bullet at a zoo and we all move on.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

An armed "well regulated militia" was supposed to keep the people safe from foreign dangers and potential despots seizing power from within. How is that supposed to work though with what states have been starting to equip themselves with after WW1.

You know, I think their intention was actually to stop their own government from controlling the people. Which is a good thing to defend yourself against. Ironically, there's never been more control over them and they have no chance of defending themselves. They do, however, have lots of people getting killed. I mean, it's not just the availability of guns that's the problem. There are high gun ownership in other places where there's not a mind blowing amount of gun violence, but rather gun ownership in addition to many other factors which make people act like that.

• Upvote 1

You know, I think their intention was actually to stop their own government from controlling the people. Which is a good thing to defend yourself against. Ironically, there's never been more control over them and they have no chance of defending themselves. They do, however, have lots of people getting killed. I mean, it's not just the availability of guns that's the problem. There are high gun ownership in other places where there's not a mind blowing amount of gun violence, but rather gun ownership in addition to many other factors which make people act like that.

That's what I meant with my clumsy reference to despots, yeah.

On the other point, of course gun ownership is not the only problem, there are plenty of others (flawed educational system and inequality of opportunity just to name two important ones).

How did the gunman get into the club,was he a member?

Apparently, according to reports, he had visited it multiple times.

He was obviously a closet homo, hated himself and decided to take that hate out on those who went there.

Apparently, according to reports, he had visited it multiple times.

He was obviously a closet homo, hated himself and decided to take that hate out on those who went there.

Pales into insignificance when you notice the fact that he was a Muslim, apparently.

• dave u changed the title to Another US Shooting