You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Amazon Brushes Off Brexit Blues With 5,000 New Jobs...

Amazon says it will create 5,000 jobs in the UK by the end of 2017.

The number includes those working at three fulfilment centres that are set to open this year, as well as 1,500 technical roles.

At the same time, Amazon is adding 15,000 jobs across the rest of Europe, taking its workforce there to 65,000 by the end of 2017.

The company currently employs 19,000 people in the UK.

Doug Gurr, UK country manager for Amazon, said: "We are creating thousands of new UK jobs including hundreds of apprenticeship opportunities as we continue to innovate for our customers and provide them with even faster delivery, more selection and better value.

"We are hiring for all types of roles from flight test engineers, software engineers and corporate managers in our development centres and head office, to operations managers, supervisors, engineers, service technicians, HR roles and order fulfilment roles in our fulfilment centres."

Big tech companies have seemed unfazed by the prospect of Brexit. Google confirmed it would be going ahead with a new campus, despite the EU referendum vote.

Facebook has said it will hire 500 more employees in UK - increasing its headcount here by 50%. And Apple is committed to a new headquarters at the redeveloped Battersea Power Station by 2021.

http://news.sky.com/story/amazon-creating-5000-new-jobs-in-uk-10774895

• Upvote 1

Amazon is barely a net creator of jobs. For every job online retailers create there's a threat to employment in physical stores. Let's not forget all the taxes they don't pay either.

They need to get on with this Brexit asap. Stop dicking about.

Fully agree. Invoke Art. 50 and then let's debate what's happening in the country. It's only a pity that we'll be doing so huddled around old metal drums, burning scraps and scrambling for some of the warmth when we are all made homeless.

*There might be some alt-facts in this post.

• Upvote 1

They need to get on with this Brexit asap. Stop dicking about.

It'll be for the best if they just forgot about it all together 

Arrest Farage, Johnston and Gove and stick them in the nonce wing of Pentonville for the duration and bring back the Birch for the Brexit mongs

So 20,000 jobs across Europe overall for Amazon 1/4 of these in the UK.

I had no idea about Facebook, and Apple building a HQ on Battersea PowerStation I hope none of them ever stumble over this thread they'll pull out.

We have a Prime Minister committed to making the UK a low-wage, low-tax deregulated, deunionised sweatshop.

That's great news for Amazon, Apple, etc.  Less so for you and me.

We have a Prime Minister committed to making the UK a low-wage, low-tax deregulated, deunionised sweatshop.

That's great news for Amazon, Apple, etc. Less so for you and me.

Yes Google, Apple and Facebook are setting up shop in the UK to cut running costs that would have been sky high in other EU countries like Lithuania, Romania and Poland.

• Upvote 1

Yes Google, Apple and Facebook are setting up shop in the UK to cut running costs that would have been sky high in other EU countries like Lithuania, Romania and Poland.

The UK already has the advantage of a mature, developed economy. At the time those companies started looking at their future plans, we also had the advantage of access to the Single Market. This Government have been explicit that (with no electoral mandate) they intend to throw that away and drive down the costs of tax, regulations (safety, environmental protection, job security, etc.) and wages.

The UK already has the advantage of a mature, developed economy. At the time those companies started looking at their future plans, we also had the advantage of access to the Single Market. This Government have been explicit that (with no electoral mandate) they intend to throw that away and drive down the costs of tax, regulations (safety, environmental protection, job security, etc.) and wages.

You think Apple, Google and Facebook are pouring millions into the UK to get away with treating there workers like shit and put them all on minimum wage? Seriously?

• Upvote 1

You think Apple, Google and Facebook are pouring millions into the UK to get away with treating there workers like shit and put them all on minimum wage? Seriously?

Yes, you're right. Overseas factories for tech firms have been quite the opposite of the reported workhouses whilst they've all paid their fair share of taxes too. More alt-facts from the loony left.

What should he do - and what do you think the consequences of that would be?

He should be pointing out the flaws in the claims made by leave and be giving  Theresa May a fucking hard time over the lies she is telling and the fact everything else is being neglected as a result of Brexit. Most people did not know what they signed up for as May claims and if Labour are serious about getting the amendments they claim to want they had better start fighting for them  

If you don't buy this argument then at least what does he have to lose?. Corbyn is leading the party down the road to oblivion at the .moment

So 20,000 jobs across Europe overall for Amazon 1/4 of these in the UK.

I had no idea about Facebook, and Apple building a HQ on Battersea PowerStation I hope none of them ever stumble over this thread they'll pull out.

Amazon are currently paying £21000 a year for operations supervisors on shite shift patterns, the cheeky cunts. That is fucking disgraceful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He should be pointing out the flaws in the claims made by leave and be giving  Theresa May a fucking hard time over the lies she is telling and the fact everything else is being neglected as a result of Brexit. Most people did not know what they signed up for as May claims and if Labour are serious about getting the amendments they claim to want they had better start fighting for them  

If you don't buy this argument then at least what does he have to lose?. Corbyn is leading the party down the road to oblivion at the .moment

He's doing everything he can to do that.  It's not on the news, obviously, because he only gets reported on when his top button's undone or something.

It'd also help if his fellow Labour MPs would join the fight against a particularly hard-right Tory Government, rather than wasting their time scheming against the party's democratically elected leader.

Njackets is deluded, or has had the wool pulled over his eyes good and proper, or is ideologically committed to brexit come hell or high water for reasons he is probably too shy to admit to.    He tells us that he believes brexit will be good for the country.   I'm not sure he believes that himself.  

I'm undecided.

About njackets, that is. 

Njackets is deluded, or has had the wool pulled over his eyes good and proper, or is ideologically committed to brexit come hell or high water for reasons he is probably too shy to admit to. He tells us that he believes brexit will be good for the country. I'm not sure he believes that himself.

I'm undecided.

About njackets, that is.

Have we gone back in time or something? Leave won! We're coming out the EU! More people agree with me than you pal.

It's been really quiet in here lately also, I miss the pages and pages of hysterics the weeks after the result, what happened to the mass slitting of wrists?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have we gone back in time or something? Leave won! We're coming out the EU! More people agree with me than you pal.

It's been really quiet in here lately also, I miss the pages and pages of hysterics the weeks after the result, what happened to the mass slitting of wrists?

Personally speaking I've just had to get over the fact that I didn't get my bonus this year and my job is hanging in the balance. There's only so many times I can call all the leave voters complete and utter spastics.
  • Upvote 3

More people agree with you, but more people watch Jeremy Kyle than listen to Radio 4.  Usually it pays not to be following the majority, because the majority are usually wrong.   We have more ignorant, ill-informed and thick people in this country than educated, informed and intelligent people.  By design.  It's a bummer, but that's the long and short of it.   And, as I suspect you know, the tangible consequences of being out of Europe won't really be evident for a while yet.  When the hysteria really takes hold, it won't be coming from my side of the argument.  

• Upvote 6

Are you going to answer the accusation against you on the UKIP thread, or is it true about you defending Nuttall over Hillsborough?

• Upvote 2