You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepijn Lijnders

Dicko

No way Ljinders will get a shot at the manager's job when Jurgen leaves unless it's as a caretaker due to an unforeseen circumstance.

Flopping at Nijmegen(?) and being a stand in for Jurgen very occasionally doesnt qualify him for a shot at the manager's role here, no matter how good a coach he is and I think the ownership will see it that way.

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

Watching the build up to the legends game and the talk about Xabi Alonso made me think about him as one to keep an eye on. 

I imagine Pep would be first choice for when Jürgen goes - hopefully in a long long time -. but I could see Xabi being a really good manager. Bright, well travelled, played under many great managers with many different styles, knows the club, knows the competitive style,  had an edge, understood the game, a winner.  

Not to say he will be a great manager but certainly be one to keep an eye on and see how he progresses. 

I always thought that about him if arteta can manage arsenal I think he could manage Liverpool, great players often don't make great managers I just have a feeling about him 

On 25/09/2022 at 14:19, Bobby Hundreds said:

I find Ljinders to be very Rodgers. No idea who should be next for the job maybe it should be him. I just can't quite get over that video of him giving the players his book I've no idea why it just made me cringe. It was all very Gilderoy Lockheart in Harry Potter.

Yep, he absolutely gives off David Brent vibes. Even before the cringe fest of him giving the players his book on video, he was already showing signs of being too talkative and overly enthusiastic. He is a good coach no doubt, but if he ever became manager of Liverpool he would piss off majority of our fans fairly quickly.

55 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Makes you wonder what criteria some are using suggesting Alonso as a future Liverpool manager yet Stevie isnt good enough and needs to 'prove himself' elsewhere first!

Familiarity breeds contempt, sadly in this case

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Makes you wonder what criteria some are using suggesting Alonso as a future Liverpool manager yet Stevie isnt good enough and needs to 'prove himself' elsewhere first!

Everyone needs to prove themselves elsewhere. That was why I said he would be interesting to monitor as he has a lot of potential in the same way Gerrard did. 

Worst thing you can do imo is give the top job at a huge club to someone just because he was a top player. Sure, it can work out, but it's one hell of a risk. 

Just now, HBenn said:

Everyone needs to prove themselves elsewhere. That was why I said he would be interesting to monitor as he has a lot of potential in the same way Gerrard did. 

Worst thing you can do imo is give the top job at a huge club to someone just because he was a top player. Sure, it can work out, but it's one hell of a risk. 

Surely Alonso is way behind even Gerrard seeing as his management level is limited to one of Real's junior teams and hasnt even won a championship at any level?

Insofar as monitoring him goes, he's hardly even on the scale yet, no?

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Surely Alonso is way behind even Gerrard seeing as his management level is limited to one of Real's junior teams and hasnt even won a championship at any level?

Insofar as monitoring him goes, he's hardly even on the scale yet, no?

He is but anyone who takes over from Jürgen needs to be exceptional but he has 4 years and that a long time in football. 

He can easily catch and overtake him.in that time. They are all one bad job away from being counted out and how Stevie manages the current situation at Villa could be quite significant. 

On 25/09/2022 at 15:53, dockers_strike said:

No way Ljinders will get a shot at the manager's job when Jurgen leaves unless it's as a caretaker due to an unforeseen circumstance.

Flopping at Nijmegen(?) and being a stand in for Jurgen very occasionally doesnt qualify him for a shot at the manager's role here, no matter how good a coach he is and I think the ownership will see it that way.

He didn't flop there?

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

He didn't flop? He was gone in about 6 months. And if I recall correctly said he didn't enjoy being manager, which is why we took him back. 

I think he got into the playoffs which was the goal but he wanted to come back. I think I read this in an article recently. We just see a lot of sensational black and white thinking. Person X is A FLOP. Etc. 

21 minutes ago, TheSire said:

I think he got into the playoffs which was the goal but he wanted to come back. I think I read this in an article recently. We just see a lot of sensational black and white thinking. Person X is A FLOP. Etc. 

I know he wanted to come back. As I said, my understanding was it was because he didn't enjoy the experience of being number 1. Which makes me think he's about as unsuitable a candidate as there could be.

The club has shown with a lot of what it does is it likes to stick by the team that got us somewhere (players, coaches and recruitment). This continuity approach though doesn't mean we have to always promote from within. I think the most likely situation when klopp leaves, is he leaves his backroom team behind to cause minimum disruption and we bring in a new top level coach to replace him. 

46 minutes ago, TheSire said:

He missed direct promotion from the Dutch 2nd Division. He then lost the end of season play off to the 7th place side.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-liverpool-coach-back-market-14668966

His strengths are as a coach not manager. No shame in that.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

He missed direct promotion from the Dutch 2nd Division. He then lost the end of season play off to the 7th place side.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-liverpool-coach-back-market-14668966

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I know he wanted to come back. As I said, my understanding was it was because he didn't enjoy the experience of being number 1. Which makes me think he's about as unsuitable a candidate as there could be.

The club has shown with a lot of what it does is it likes to stick by the team that got us somewhere (players, coaches and recruitment). This continuity approach though doesn't mean we have to always promote from within. I think the most likely situation when klopp leaves, is he leaves his backroom team behind to cause minimum disruption and we bring in a new top level coach to replace him. 

I hope so as I think a big reason for our success is the level of collaboration and teamwork behind the scenes.

He's a very good coach and is probably a lot of the brains that drives how we play as a team.

He's given management a try and seems happy in his current role.

Fuck knows who could replace klopp but we have a few years before that needs to be a serious discussion luckily.

Bring back Brendan?

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Sounds like he did alright but no cigar. For some reason I recall something about a family health scare or something at the time and he left the role as a result? I could have that wrong but for some reason it sticks out in my head.

I'm glad we have him here and he's up there with the best as an assistant. We do have an amazing backroom team. We've been completely modernised and they'll dissect everything to push any edge.

On 29/09/2022 at 13:40, dockers_strike said:

Alonso's main qualification is not being Gerrard.

Have you watched Gerrard's sides play? Fuck me, no thanks. 

13 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Honest question: is his book the reason we've been found out? 

I just want to know if I should burn my Pep Ljinders posters or not. 

It remains one of the most spectacularly badly timed releases of all time.