You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blatter resigns

Captain

I wouldn't usually quote myself but here's a post I made about Blatter back in November:

Aye, I'm suprised the corrupt cunt hasn't suggested double points for the last World Cup qualifying game yet, probably just hasn't found someone who will pay him enough.

It's not the fact that he's so crooked he has to screw his pants on (credit to Hunter S Thompson) that bothers me; I expect that from the head of an old boys backslapping club like FIFA.  It's the fact that he's so secure in his position that he can afford to treat anybody attempting to challenge him with utter contempt.

For a glimmer of hope, we can look to cycling - for years the corruption in the sport from top to bottom was effectively ignored by UCI president Hein Verbruggen; he was then replaced by Pat McQuaid, possibly most venal, duplicitous sack of shit ever to run a sporting organisation and took an honorary role whilst McQuaid carried on his 'good work'.  That's exactly the same situation as FIFA had with Joao Havelange being replaced with Blatter.

Even three years ago McQuaid had pretty much an iron grip on cycling, largely because just like Blatter he knew exactly whose nest to feather whilst he was in power - that's the great truth of leading these organisations, you only need to identify maybe five people who matter and you can afford to say fuck the rest.

The cunt has gone now though, mainly because like others before him there comes a tipping point where they are so high on their own hubris that they don't notice the wind has changed direction.  Blatter's day will come, it always does.  The waiting will just make it all the sweeter.

The real problem is that the organisation itself is only set up to enable the next Blatter and the next and the next.  Any meaningful change at FIFA has to come from the national associations and be pumped into the organisation; the organisation itself only has one interest these days and it is self preservation.  At the moment the national associations basically just get into an orderly queue to suck FIFA's corporate cock in the hope of getting splashed with a bit of its jizz.

Delighted that the first part has now happened.  The last paragraph is going to be key for what comes next though - there's basically one chance to sort this towering pile of shite out, get the wrong appointee who just starts to feather their own nest instead of beginning the kind of root and branch reform that will be needed before the organisation can even begin to climb out of the cesspit of Blatter's making and this will achieve nothing.