You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Black Friday thing

Red Banjo

Me too. I'm looking at the mid range UHD Samsungs. But I keep reading in reviews that these new TVs have crap sound, so might need a sound bar too.

Worth bearing in mind that John Lewis will price match (well, they claim to, I've never tried it), so you'll get better customer service and extended guaranty

Yeah I'm thinking a Samsung 6400 and a Sonos Playbase with a couple on Sonos One speakers and a Play 5

Like everything these days it's hyped to hell. Prices are sneaked up months before so they can miraculously be lowered to their normal price and everyone goes apeshit and buys everything. Of course they'll throw a couple of items of stock on a low offer but you're not getting them, you'll just get the email a few days later saying they can't supply it. 

If I want something and I can wait, I use camelcamelcamel.com and paste an amazon link in to it and set an alert price I will pay. Sometime in the future it emails me and I generally buy. 

I hate crowds, I really can't stand the public at large so you won't find me anywhere there are rabid creatures trying to save a quid. 

Like everything these days it's hyped to hell. Prices are sneaked up months before so they can miraculously be lowered to their normal price and everyone goes apeshit and buys everything. Of course they'll throw a couple of items of stock on a low offer but you're not getting them, you'll just get the email a few days later saying they can't supply it. 

If I want something and I can wait, I use camelcamelcamel.com and paste an amazon link in to it and set an alert price I will pay. Sometime in the future it emails me and I generally buy. 

I hate crowds, I really can't stand the public at large so you won't find me anywhere there are rabid creatures trying to save a quid. 

camelcamelcamel is great!

Last year I went into Curry's a week before all the Black Friday shenanigans to try some TVs out and see them with my own eyes. Set myself a budget, had already done all the online reviews, found a 55inch 4k LG I really liked and paid for the fucker then and there. Only drawback was that due to the imminent Black Friday demand Curry's couldn't deliver for 3 weeks. I was in no rush, not a problem.

One week later, curiosity led me to checking the Curry's Black Friday sale prices (both in-store and on their website), imagine my glee when I discovered my new telly in the sale but at £200 MORE EXPENSIVE than the price I paid ! Apparently this is a really common occurance according to the guy I spoke to in the shop and some website I was reading shortly thereafter.

The sound on my LG 668 is actually pretty damn good for a big old flatty, but I connect it via Bluetooth to my Cyrus One amp and Quad S2 speakers and it sounds fucking phenomenal.

Last year I went into Curry's a week before all the Black Friday shenanigans to try some TVs out and see them with my own eyes. Set myself a budget, had already done all the online reviews, found a 55inch 4k LG I really liked and paid for the fucker then and there. Only drawback was that due to the imminent Black Friday demand Curry's couldn't deliver for 3 weeks. I was in no rush, not a problem.

One week later, curiosity led me to checking the Curry's Black Friday sale prices (both in-store and on their website), imagine my glee when I discovered my new telly in the sale but at £200 MORE EXPENSIVE than the price I paid ! Apparently this is a really common occurance according to the guy I spoke to in the shop and some website I was reading shortly thereafter.

The sound on my LG 668 is actually pretty damn good for a big old flatty, but I connect it via Bluetooth to my Cyrus One amp and Quad S2 speakers and it sounds fucking phenomenal.

Been looking for a brand new car for my missus on a few sites, Black Friday deals £1000 pound off, same price as days before, raised and lowered to trap any fool just looking. You have to check out everything, Curry's are bad for it.

Yeah I'm thinking a Samsung 6400 and a Sonos Playbase with a couple on Sonos One speakers and a Play 5

I very nearly got the 6400, but went for the 7000 instead. Not sure it was worth the price difference, but just thought fuck it

The 6700 is meant to have ok sound, so thought I would try it before getting a sound bar

Samsung have a promotion at the moment where you get £200 cash back on some of the soundbars if bought with a TV, so that might be worth thinking about for you unless you've got it already. If you get it from Currys or John Lewis, you get them in a bundle at the same time with discount applied (Currys at the mo also have rear speakers thrown in on the promotion with the soundbar). I got my TV from Richer Sounds in the end, and I've got 60 days before I need to buy the soundbar to be eligible for the cash back directly from Samsung

I very nearly got the 6400, but went for the 7000 instead. Not sure it was worth the price difference, but just thought fuck it

The 6700 is meant to have ok sound, so thought I would try it before getting a sound bar

Samsung have a promotion at the moment where you get £200 cash back on some of the soundbars if bought with a TV, so that might be worth thinking about for you unless you've got it already. If you get it from Currys or John Lewis, you get them in a bundle at the same time with discount applied (Currys at the mo also have rear speakers thrown in on the promotion with the soundbar). I got my TV from Richer Sounds in the end, and I've got 60 days before I need to buy the soundbar to be eligible for the cash back directly from Samsung

Got the 6400 for £75 less than retail and the Sonos Playbase for £75 less than retail too.

• Upvote 1

Like everything these days it's hyped to hell. Prices are sneaked up months before so they can miraculously be lowered to their normal price and everyone goes apeshit and buys everything. Of course they'll throw a couple of items of stock on a low offer but you're not getting them, you'll just get the email a few days later saying they can't supply it

BlackFriday is full blown rampant consumerism where humans get to act like stampeding wildebeest for some electrical goods they wouldn't normally buy.That will quite often be cheaper in January anyway.