You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Talking about shiteness of modern football, I can remember when steve mcmahon played for us. In his pomp, he was a great player. But when his powers waned, we hoyed him off to city sharpish.

Now, it seems we may sign milner from city in the summer on a free. How times have changed.

The Europa League is such a burden these days because it fucks up the domestic campaign so much by being played on Thursdays. Having to play your league games on a Sunday usually means trying to claw back points on the teams around you who have usually played the day before, and it's a different mentality needing when you know you need a result from your game. You're always playing catch-up. It creates a mentality where fans are often glad that their team is no longer in the Europa League, and that is sad because it should be that you want your team to be successful in any competition they are in.

• Upvote 2

The Europa League is such a burden these days because it fucks up the domestic campaign so much by being played on Thursdays. Having to play your league games on a Sunday usually means trying to claw back points on the teams around you who have usually played the day before, and it's a different mentality needing when you know you need a result from your game. You're always playing catch-up. It creates a mentality where fans are often glad that their team is no longer in the Europa League, and that is sad because it should be that you want your team to be successful in any competition they are in.

This.

Despite the fucktardfest of Rodgers' lack of doing anything proactive last night, in the cold light of day I'm actually quite pleased we've gone out especially as Spurs have also gone out, which would likely have meant us trying to play catchup with that shower every other weekend. In reality I should actually be really pissed off that we're out of European competition and on one level I am but on another I'm quite pleased. That should NEVER be the case, especially for this club.

The ballness of modern footshit.

• Upvote 2

I want to take the Europa League seriously, I really do, and I certainly think it would be worth winning. God, the memories of Dortmund are as vivid today as they were all those years ago. But when you see the contempt with which Uefa treat the competition, locking it away on Thursday night like a disabled member of an inbred royal family (is there any other kind?). then I manage to shrug my shoulders and tell myself that it's just fine to go out now rather than plough our way through to the semi-final and get knocked out there.

It would be weirder if things stayed the same. Mcmahon somehow stuck in a 'Hoyed off to City' space time vortex, with the music from minder playing on a constant loop in the background, while we beat them 5-0 at Maine road every game. 

In those days, ex Liverpool players were a real coup for us. And for the large part, they were fondly remembered too. McMahon still had something to offer to City back then.

McManaman, Fowler, Beardsley, Clough, Anelka, Hamman, Walsh - there seemed to be loads. 

I always liked Walsh, seemed a decent lad until Alan Ball fucked him over.

I think we beat Liverpool once... 3-1 (it's a long time ago)... it was a minor miracle. Must have been early 80s. Other than that, yes, it was 'the dreaded Liverpool' - we'd be lucky to get a goal.

The Premiership really has got a hold on football fans, must be down to the marketing.

I was down in the local last night and my two mates fucked off a bit early as they were smashed.  I went over to talk to the barman and finish my pint and there were two lads propped up at the bar talking about how Man City and Arsenal were both definitely going to qualify from their ties and that City could go on and win it.  This despite all the evidence pointing to the Premiership as overhyped and overrated.  One of them was a Liverpool fan as well.

In those days, ex Liverpool players were a real coup for us. And for the large part, they were fondly remembered too. McMahon still had something to offer to City back then.

McManaman, Fowler, Beardsley, Clough, Anelka, Hamman, Walsh - there seemed to be loads. 

I think we beat Liverpool once... 3-1 (it's a long time ago)... it was a minor miracle. Must have been early 80s. Other than that, yes, it was 'the dreaded Liverpool' - we'd be lucky to get a goal.

remember playing you 1995/6 in the league cup on wednesday and the league on the saturday... joke going round after.. whats the time in manchester???  10 past immel...6-0 and 4-0.. i think.. happy days... 

remember playing you 1995/6 in the league cup on wednesday and the league on the saturday... joke going round after.. whats the time in manchester???  10 past immel...6-0 and 4-0.. i think.. happy days... 

I remember reading a preview of the league game. You'd think after the cup game the guy writing it would insert some caveat about a backlash or wounded animal or complacency or something. The verdict? "Home avalanche."

That was my point. McMahon was a major coup for you. Now it seems milner will be a major coup for us.

Stupid plastic flags at Wembley for finals, just fuck them off and whilst at it fuck off with the stupid loud music before game and let the fans create some atmosphere. The music actually ruins any atmosphere and the flags look really, really shite.

Stupid plastic flags at Wembley for finals, just fuck them off and whilst at it fuck off with the stupid loud music before game and let the fans create some atmosphere. The music actually ruins any atmosphere and the flags look really, really shite.

*cough* Chelsea.... *cough*

Not sure that this is exclusive to modern football but anyway...

Sat by the pool on holiday, a couple of loud families of cockney gooner gobshites come and sit within earshot. One bloke says to the other, as he bounces his young lad on his knee, 'are you teaching him arsenal songs?' Bloke says 'yeah mate' and starts singing an anti Spurs song to his lad. Fucking bellend. Comprehensively sums up what's wrong with most london teams' fans these days.

• Upvote 2

Fucking tv commentators going on about 'a pen' whenever the ball hits a players hand. Its not a fucking pen unless its hand to ball, in other words, deliberate.

No wonder fucking morons at the pit and places like stoke scream for a pen when the ball's nowhere near the hand or arm.

Far too much money, racism, the payers having no clue what the real world is like, boxer short betting adds being more offensive than 'You fackin' black cant' Warrior kits, fucking Warrior, 'industrial' players wearing pink boots,  £62 a ticket to watch dross, Robbie 'Sav' Savage doing his best everycunt impression and now sexism from the kit makers!

26744E2700000578-0-image-a-3_14258584513

Someone hit the lights on the way out, I think we're done...