You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Burning Question: "If Victor Valdes joins, will he be number one?"

tlw content

The only he thing he would learn off Valdes is Spanish if Mignolet was 20-21 but he is 26 with 250 odd games under his belt. His learning curve has passed. It would be nigh on impossible to rebuild his game.

Disagree.

At 32 Valdes isn't even that old for a goalkeeper. At 26 Mignolet is a million miles away from being done with his learning. Do I think his game would evolve the amount it needs to? I don't. Do I think he could learn a lot from Valdes about being a leader and about commanding his key areas both inside and outside the box? I absolutely do.

I think it's such a lazy thing to say that he had nothing to do at Barce. As if keeping goal for one of the greatest sides in history was some easy task. Any keeper who has 30 shots to save during a match will look good in highlights and montages like Mig at Sunderland or Marshall at Cardiff last season. It takes a top keeper to be able to do it on the odd occasion their goal is attacked and be able to keep focus for the duration.

It's why keepers from lower down the table don't usually get the number one spot at a champions league team, they have the mechanics but not the character. Mignolet's character is about to be tested to the limit and if he doesn't develop now then he's fucked.

• Upvote 2

Ok it has dawned on me now. As we made such a big deal about Reina and his wages and  being aging we have to rebrainwash the masses. As we now may want an aging keeper who is good with his feet on big wages. See that reverse gear go in for a lot of fans now.

Are you thick or something?

The problem with Reina wasn't that he was on big wages and aging.  It was that he was on big wages and not playing well.  Valdes has at least 4-5 more years at the top of his game if he comes back fit from this injury, and he is miles better than Mignolet (who is himself miles better than Reina's last 2 seasons).

Can't believe the amount of people on here who think that Valdes is coming here to "compete with Mignolet."  If he's fit, there's no competition.  He was in brilliant form for Barca before his injury, there were respected journos saying he'd been more important to them than Messi that season.  If his knee is ready to go then he comes in and is our number one from day one, no questions asked.  We would have won the league if he had been here last season (actually, we would have won the league if Mignolet had just stopped that Negredo shot in the City away game that he really should have kept out).

This will make you a little bit sad, but this is what I'm talking about.  I know you can't go back and redo just one moment of the season (and it's not all Simon's fault either), but it's heartbreaking to think that if Mignolet gets a stronger wrist to this we would have gotten to see Gerrard lifting number 19 last season:

negredo-goal.gif

• Downvote 1

I'd rather Cech for 10 million

Valdes is ok but as has been said, he didn't have much to do in that barca side! Not an upgrade on mignonet, defo an upgrade on jones though

More chance of kelly brook fingering your hoop tomorrow morning than chelsea selling us cech for 10m.

Valdes is deffo a better keeper than Mignolet as well. Really not understanding people saying otherwise. He's been excellent for Barca for the last 3/4 years.

• Upvote 1

More chance of kelly brook fingering your hoop tomorrow morning than chelsea selling us cech for 10m.

Valdes is deffo a better keeper than Mignolet as well. Really not understanding people saying otherwise. He's been excellent for Barca for the last 3/4 years.

Agree. On both points. Don't know why people keep mentioning Cech, they will not sell anyone else to us. They wouldn't even sell fucking Bertrand to us.

The perceived wisdom from a lot of people on Valdes is that he looked better than what he is because he played in the one of the greatest teams of all time. I think the opposite is true. He never got the credit he deserved because the rest of the team was so good. He was excellent for them and I'd be made up with him here.

We can't lose signing him. Either Mignolet ups his game considerably to keep him on the bench or we get a top class keeper coming in to replace him.

This will make you a little bit sad, but this is what I'm talking about. I know you can't go back and redo just one moment of the season (and it's not all Simon's fault either), but it's heartbreaking to think that if Mignolet gets a stronger wrist to this we would have gotten to see Gerrard lifting number 19 last season:

negredo-goal.gif

Oh, no. You absolutely cannot use this incident and blame Mignolet for us not winning the title.

Are you thick or something?

The problem with Reina wasn't that he was on big wages and aging.  It was that he was on big wages and not playing well.  Valdes has at least 4-5 more years at the top of his game if he comes back fit from this injury, and he is miles better than Mignolet (who is himself miles better than Reina's last 2 seasons).

Can't believe the amount of people on here who think that Valdes is coming here to "compete with Mignolet."  If he's fit, there's no competition.  He was in brilliant form for Barca before his injury, there were respected journos saying he'd been more important to them than Messi that season.  If his knee is ready to go then he comes in and is our number one from day one, no questions asked.  We would have won the league if he had been here last season (actually, we would have won the league if Mignolet had just stopped that Negredo shot in the City away game that he really should have kept out).

So a man has a different view and you suggest he is thick. Deary me no wonder Frode, Rashid and Bex do not post here anymore. I have heard many people suggesting Mignolet is the future and boasting about his lower wage and age. Highlighting Mignolets weakness as being irrelevant (he stops the ball you know) but now people are salivating at what Valdes does, that kicking and sweeping stuff. The man who is a carbon copy of Reina except Reina is much more dominating on crosses.  It's hilarious we get rid of Reina but allegedly want his clone but the clone has busted his ACL.You could not make this shit up.

But I will be made up if we get Valdes quality keeper and the back-line could speak 60% Spanish so that should make it easier to stop goals going in.

• Downvote 1

So a man has a different view and you suggest he is thick. Deary me no wonder Frode, Rashid and Bex do not post here anymore. I have heard many people suggesting Mignolet is the future and boasting about his lower wage and age. Highlighting Mignolets weakness as being irrelevant (he stops the ball you know) but now people are salivating at what Valdes does, that kicking and sweeping stuff. The man who is a carbon copy of Reina except Reina is much more dominating on crosses.  It's hilarious we get rid of Reina but allegedly want his clone but the clone has busted his ACL.You could not make this shit up.

But I will be made up if we get Valdes quality keeper and the back-line could speak 60% Spanish so that should make it easier to stop goals going in.

Same time next week?  And the one after?  And the one after that? Forever?  While calling everyone else odd/disturbed/etc?

I'm in, I know everyone else will be.

Same time next week?  And the one after?  And the one after that? Forever?  While calling everyone else odd/disturbed/etc?

I'm in, I know everyone else will be.

You are quoting me when Imya insinuates Mignolet cost us the league. He could have at least pointed out Agger was on the bench for that game and avail, ffs.!.

peter-sellers1.jpg?w=150

You are quoting me when Imya insinuates Mignolet cost us the league. He could have at least pointed out Agger was on the bench for that game and avail, ffs.!.

2CAE1A9A5E229A2147FAAFF9253FD.jpg

• Upvote 3

How did Mingelot cost us the league frode sorry I meant Denny. Last 13 games we won 11 drew 1 lost 1 we were 4th when that run started, we lost the one because of Gerrard mistake, saying that Code blamed Sakho on it. That mistake cost us the league, whatever way we dress it up that was the one, Chelsea rested half a team v us and we couldn't get a result.

Is right Richie we blew it against Chelsea.  No one was to blame, we put ourselves in an incredible position and we feel short, nothing bad in that.  I was proud of every single player, it was a great challenge.

I very much doubt if Valdes signs for us he is doing so to warm the bench.  He will be our number one.

• Upvote 1

How did Mingelot cost us the league frode sorry I meant Denny. Last 13 games we won 11 drew 1 lost 1 we were 4th when that run started, we lost the one because of Gerrard mistake, saying that Code blamed Sakho on it. That mistake cost us the league, whatever way we dress it up that was the one, Chelsea rested half a team v us and we couldn't get a result.

I think you should address that to Imya not me. I have not said anything like that at all about Mignolet.

No effective replacement for the suspended Henderson. No effective substitutions available full stop, Rodgers didn't trust any of them. All the players dead on their arse in the second half of games at the end of the season. Man City a whole squad of class players to rotate. No need for a blame game from Liverpool supporters.

• Upvote 1

This is what  the ever reliable Tony Evans said a few days ago that backed up what he said a few months back where he was shouted at by lots of 11year olds on the internet.

Tony Evans on Valdes:

"He's a free agent and coming back from injury. LFC looking for a better keeper. "LFC have not been impressed with Mignolet. They would like one who commands his area, directs the defence & distributes better. The lack of confidence in the keeper runs throughout the club "

Evans: They (LFC) are disappointed with Can who "strolls" too much". "Early days,It could change. It's rare to come in fully formed but it's fair to say they (LFC) expected a bit more from him"

On Markovic "has a burst of pace they (LFC) love "but didn't see it in preseason". Overall Tony reckons LFC did "good business"

Evans on Balotelli "Rodgers didn't want Balotelli initially but the price was too good."

Evans on Rodgers: He's been much better at not running his mouth over last year & his tactics have become more flexible and vibrant."

• Downvote 2