You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australian Red Wine Gift Recommendations

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Numero Veinticinco

1) I've no real idea about wines

2) It has to be Aussie

3) It's a gift. I really do mean thank you.

4) The recipient is a well off guy who knows wine but isn't overly snobbish about them.

5) I'd like to limit it to below 50 quid for a bottle. Certainly less than 100.

6) It's about saying thank you and not looking like a lager swigging idiot (which essentially is what I am)

So yeah. Make him happy, me look good and don't break the bank. I'll rep the fuck out of you kind bastards and wine virgins.

1) I've no real idea about wines

2) It has to be Aussie

3) It's a gift. I really do mean thank you.

4) The recipient is a well off guy who knows wine but isn't overly snobbish about them.

5) I'd like to limit it to below 50 quid for a bottle. Certainly less than 100.

6) It's about saying thank you and not looking like a lager swigging idiot (which essentially is what I am)

So yeah. Make him happy, me look good and don't break the bank. I'll rep the fuck out of you kind bastards and wine virgins.

Sorry, mate but is any Aussie red worth more than 20 quid in this country? I tend to drink Merlot, so Aussie tends to be too spicy. Is it a boss or just a generally ocker-type Aussie who won't drink foreign shit you are buying for?

I found this: http://www.mentzendorff.co.uk/portfolio-main/portfolio/producers/producer-pdfs/tapanappa/Whalebone%20merlot%20cab%2008.pdf

So obviously people disagree with my view.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cabernet Sauvignon is a bit generic, I'd say. My knowledge is limited but I like wines with a mix of grape varieties, such as Shiraz Cabernet.

I'm also guessing you might just be paying for the name going to F&M.

I reckon you've got to go Shiraz if you're going Aussie red.  Avoid 2011 as it was a bad year for reds - 2010 or 2012 were both good.

How about a Henschke Mount Edlestone 2010 Shiraz?  It should be around £60 - 70 in the UK.

Henschke is a fairly swank label - the "Hill of Grace" red is one of the most prestigious produced (but £300) - so you may be able to get it over there.

I reckon you've got to go Shiraz if you're going Aussie red. Avoid 2011 as it was a bad year for reds - 2010 or 2012 were both good.

How about a Henschke Mount Edlestone 2010 Shiraz? It should be around £60 - 70 in the UK.

Henschke is a fairly swank label - the "Hill of Grace" red is one of the most prestigious produced (but £300) - so you may be able to get it over there.

Henschke would be my pick, this man knows his stuff.

The Henry Seven and the Keyneton Euphonium are also great drops Henschke do.

Hill of Grace would cost about $160-350 a bottle here depending on the vintage.

A Peter Lehmann wine wouldn't break the bank. The Stonewall shiraz can't go wrong.

Penfolds Grange is the top shelf stuff but that is rather an expensive exercise.

Henschke would be my pick, this man knows his stuff.

The Henry Seven and the Keyneton Euphonium are also great drops Henschke do.

Hill of Grace would cost about $160-350 a bottle here depending on the vintage.

A Peter Lehmann wine wouldn't break the bank. The Stonewall shiraz can't go wrong.

Penfolds Grange is the top shelf stuff but that is rather an expensive exercise.

As stated above, Penfolds Grange and Henshke are two of the most prestigious reds in Australia. He'll know you paid top dollar, and the acknowledgement that goes along with it is probably what you're after.

I'm a sucker for a Grant Burge red though, in fact going to the Barossa for my 10 year anniversary next week. There's quite a few highly regarded reds from this winery, and the 2010 Filsell won best shiraz in the world this year or last.

I bought a half dozen just to see what the fuss was about and I've got to say it was one of the best I've ever tasted.

Anyway, you'll be able to find something nice without too much trouble.

• Upvote 1

If you like reds anything from the Barossa or Clare Valleys is an excellent choice

Any of the following are great

Yalumba The Ocatavius

Penfolds RWT or a 389

Rockford Basket Press

Grant Burge Meschach

Cyril Henschke Cab Sav

Also the cellar door at Grant Burge is amazing, as is Charles Melton and Rockfords if anyone goes to the Barossa

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Thanks chaps. I've decided on the Henschke but can't find it close to me. Might take a look at the penfolds stuff.

No mate, it is somebody who has really helped me on a personal level and we spoke about his travels in Aus.

Don't be afraid. Show us on a doll where he touched you.

In all seriousness the penfolds is a good choice. He must have helped you a lot for such a gift.