You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: Rickie Lambert - Are you on board with it?

tlw content

The point doesn't translate and it isn't the same point anyway in all those cases.

City can basically buy whoever they want when they want. You're not suggesting we spend £40 million plus on two backup strikers surely when we already have two top strikers here?

Bayern are an established European superpower, we're just back in the CL for the first time in 5/6 seasons. Bayern can basically buy anyone they want from the Bundesliga, even from their nearest (only) rival. Plus they're minted too.

With Juventus, they needed strikers, first choice ones at that despite winning a weak Serie A. We don't need first choice strikers.

Of course yes it would be desirable to have the cream of European talent on our bench but realistically we need to prioritise other positions.

As others have said that Lambert signing can't be judged in isolation. We need to add top quality in positions where we actually need top quality, which isn't up front.

We can get by with what we have up front for the time being, provided as you mentioned, we end up spending big money on a couple signings in other areas that massively improve the first team. Save the money and wages spent on a useless acquisition for those other big first team signings.

Then as the squad builds with real quality spend big money on another striker later on in Jan or next transfer window. As for me 3 top class strikers should be the goal for rotation purposes so there is no drop off in quality when tiredness or injuries occur, which is exactly what City have who can afford a player like Aguero to spend loads of time on the sidelines injured yet still compete.

Love how so many supporters are so accepting of signings like these. Small time mentality after so many years of being also rans? Chelsea and City will be laughing if this is the type of signing we make to supposedly have a chance of competing with them with the addition of continental competition.

It seems like supporters expect our managers style of play to carry us to glory. Rodgers style and management abilities will take us a ways, but a style of play can only take you so far when your rivals are buying the best players each window, while we continue to shop out of the bargain bin.

The same Chelsea that bought a 33yr old striker on massive wages on a one yr deal and then had their own manager make fun of his age? They are busy laughing at themselves.

We have higher priorities than spending 20mill on a backup striker right now. Lambert is a good choice till we have that liberty.

If we're not paying silly money for a 32 year old and are indeed getting him in for something like £4m, then I think it's a good deal. He has different attributes to our other striking options so has something to offer the squad. At circa-£4m, my only concern with him is whether he'll adapt to playing less regularly than he's been used to in his career thus far, and whether he can adapt to a preparation routine that involves regular midweek as well as weekend football.

The same Chelsea that bought a 33yr old striker on massive wages on a one yr deal and then had their own manager make fun of his age? They are busy laughing at themselves.

We have higher priorities than spending 20mill on a backup striker right now. Lambert is a good choice till we have that liberty.

You aren't getting it. Chelsea have massive quality throughout the rest of their team. They shit on us with their quality and depth in defense, and therefore don't need to score as many goals. If we do strengthen the rest of our team with top quality players we will also be less reliant on goal scoring. So why waste money and wages on a squad player that Rodger's clearly stated we weren't going to focus on, instead of what we really need?

Later down the track if we really want to sustain our ability to compete then I think we ought to spend big money on a 3rd striker who is at a level on or close to our first choicers in order to maintain quality when we rotate as City can do. That will remain a big advantage to City, as we are basically relying on Suarez and Sturridge to not have to spend too much time on the sidelines or we are fucked. City are sitting pretty in that regard.

We need decent cover up front. The lad knows the league, is an upgrade on Aspas and he's a Red - something that I think is needed still even in this day and age.

Fighting on 4 fronts means we have to be able to change it a bit more so as a squad player its ok in my book.

He takes a belting penalty as well which may come in handy if our captain isn't on the park.

Get 2 years out of him whilst we consolidate our place back at the top table and build our other weaker areas.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Is he worth 4m? Yes. Is he a good player? Yes, certainly handy. Is he the player I wanted? Fuck no. Is he the limit of our ambition? I hope not.

Just imagine the feel good factor when he lashes his first goal in, and how much the rest of the squad will buzz off it. Team sprit will be superb, successful squad building's all about these shrewd opportunistic signings that no-one sees coming, which cover a gap in the ranks intelligently.

Have half a vision of God coming back and half of when Crouch finally broke his duck.

• Upvote 3

You aren't getting it. Chelsea have massive quality throughout the rest of their team. They shit on us with their quality and depth in defense, and therefore don't need to score as many goals. If we do strengthen the rest of our team with top quality players we will also be less reliant on goal scoring. So why waste money and wages on a squad player that Rodger's clearly stated we weren't going to focus on, instead of what we really need?

Later down the track if we really want to sustain our ability to compete then I think we ought to spend big money on a 3rd striker who is at a level on or close to our first choicers in order to maintain quality when we rotate as City can do. That will remain a big advantage to City, as we are basically relying on Suarez and Sturridge to not have to spend too much time on the sidelines or we are fucked. City are sitting pretty in that regard.

It's you who doesn't get it. Chelsea are considerably richer than us, which means they can n afford to pay daft wages to keep fringe/back up players happy.

Let me put it this way. Instead of wasting money on Lambert, why not use the 4 mill, plus money saved on wages and add it to the transfer bid on one of the genuine first teamers we are pursuing like Lallana, Moreno or whoever else. Better use of resources IMO.

Let me put it this way. Instead of wasting money on Lambert, why not use the 4 mill, plus money saved on wages and add it to the transfer bid on one of the genuine first teamers we are pursuing like Lallana, Moreno or whoever else. Better use of resources IMO.

Well I'd assume those moves aren't reliant on the 4m... Hence we're still pursuing them...

It's you that's not getting it. Chelsea are considerably richer than us, which means they can n afford to pay daft wages to keep fringe/back up players happy.

Don't know why you are talking about fringe/backup players in relation to anything I've said. I've clearly stated we shouldn't be buying backup players, and should be buying first team quality as we have holes to fill. Once the first team is filled out with top quality, then you can start thinking about buying quality for the rotation of the team.

Buying first team quality players also has the added benefit of making current first team players squad player, which by default improves the squad.

Well I'd assume those moves aren't reliant on the 4m... Hence we're still pursuing them...

Erm, looks like haggling over a few million to me, else Lallana would probably be a Liverpool player by now. Though I've said I'd prefer to spend a bit more on a better more established player in the position.

Good luck improving on Suarez and Sturridge and having a budget left for the first team areas of need.

Good luck getting through a whole season with CL games on top in which the above play every match.

Good luck calling on the likes of Aspas if they don't.

• Upvote 4

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Bottom line for me is that if we go out and buy some top class players in addition to Lambert, we've got somebody decent for the cups, if we go out and buy OK players then I just think it's another missed opportunity. The manager had it right when he was talking about only getting top quality additions, with CL pedigree. I hope we still get them and this is only the first signing because it's the easiest to do.

Having missed out on Costa, Konoplyanka, William and Mkhitaryan due to lack of CL or lack of funds, I was hoping we'd be bringing that class of player in now we've earned shed loads and got CL. Have to watch this space.

Good luck improving on Suarez and Sturridge and having a budget left for the first team areas of need.

Good luck getting through a whole season with CL games on top in which the above play every match.

Good luck calling on the likes of Aspas if they don't.

If we had more quality throughout the rest of the team, we don't rely as much on Suarez and Sturridge to score as we likely aren't shipping shedloads of goals. I'm not advocating spending big money on a 3rd striker this summer, so I expect the first comment wasn't directed at me. I think it should be looked at down the line once other positions are sorted though.

We've already got the best strike force in europe, we dont need a £50 million Bayern/chelsea/city type striker. We cant afford to spend loads on someone to sit on the bench and we certainly dont want to jeopordise what we've got through intense rotation.

Lambert is perfect

• Upvote 3

If we had more quality throughout the rest of the team, we don't rely as much on Suarez and Sturridge to score as we likely aren't shipping shedloads of goals. I'm not advocating spending big money on a 3rd striker this summer, so I expect the first comment wasn't directed at me. I think it should be looked at down the line once other positions are sorted though.

I was referring to the comment about only buying first team starting quality, because we don't have the option of not buying another player able to operate as a striker this summer if we want to improve.

Last season if needing to make a change up front we went from the top 2 strikers in the country to someone who didn't look Premier League standard. This season the drop-off would only be to one of the best players in the team finishing 8th who play very similar football to us.

It's a clear improvement, and provided as NV says it's followed up with the right calibre of signings in the first team areas we need to improve as priority this summer, I think it's perfect.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We've already got the best strike force in europe, we dont need a £50 million Bayern/chelsea/city type striker. We cant afford to spend loads on someone to sit on the bench and we certainly dont want to jeopordise what we've got through intense rotation.

Lambert is perfect

Vietto would have been perfect, Lambert is good value.

It is going to be a long season. Lambert may not be the man for a game against Barcelona, but he will certainly help us in the bread and butter games.

If he is part of the big picture, fine, if he is the big picture then it is not.

• Upvote 1

People can't use city and Chelsea's wealth as an excuse why we have to fish around in the bargain basement but then be alright with 20 and 30 million moves for the likes of Lallana.

You can be if you rate Lallana.

• Upvote 1

Don't know why you are talking about fringe/backup players in relation to anything I've said. I've clearly stated we shouldn't be buying backup players, and should be buying first team quality as we have holes to fill. Once the first team is filled out with top quality, then you can start thinking about buying quality for the rotation of the team.

Buying first team quality players also has the added benefit of making current first team players squad player, which by default improves the squad.

I can see what you are getting at but it isn't as black and white as that - you buy when the timing is right whether its a squad player or as you say filling the holes.

We move Aspas on Lambert replaces him - it's an improvement to the squad.

Bring in the two or three top players we need to really push on, and the players who still stay but aren't guaranteed starters anymore then as you say improve the squads options.

I see this as a calculated move to improve the options in an area we are a bit light in - Rodgers knows he is going to sack off Aspas and he can get Lambert in now in readiness to do that.

I can see us buying 5 players in total including Lambert this summer and I think 2 or 3 will be regular first team starters and the other 2 including Lambert being back up - for me that will make us a better more balanced squad and improve our best 11