You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Oh right there is much truth in it as us getting Hummels and Reus then.

Yup. But those ones don't count. It's only the shit links that count. They're all true.

ARGH.

Whilst I disagree about the "we exist to sell players for profit" idea, I do think that if we don't start to invest in top players now that we are in the CL, we will begin to see our best players leave every summer.

In that sense I can see the Arsenal comparison.

Genuine question though, do you not think this is the future for 'the rest of us' unless you're Chelsea, city, barca and Madrid? There's a certain inevitability about everyone's best players ending up at those clubs, the only reason it didn't happen with the mancs and Rooney was because of a record breaking pay deal, we nearly lost Gerrard to Chelsea and all our best players of the last decade now play for one of those clubs or have done. The excuse of not winning things or not being in the CL couldn't be used either as most of them saw medals or came close to them.

Those four clubs hacs created a narrative that their rise and position at the top of the game is insurmountable, and the attitude of top players seems to be it's better to be on the inside than on the out.

As I said on another thread, it's why I lost a lot of interest in footy. It's a cabal.

• Upvote 1

I do think that if we don't start to invest in top players now that we are in the CL, we will begin to see our best players leave every summer.

In many ways this will be Rodgers’ most challenging season.

After coming second, anything less will be seen as failure. It is impossible to replace a 30 goal a season man, they tend to evolve rather than be bought. His skill will be in recruiting the right players who collectively can make up the deficit, whilst staunching the flow at the back.

I agree that we need to invest in the best, the performance of Gerrard, Sterling, Sturridge and Johnson at the WC did not suggest that we are going to tear up the CL. But there is one very encouraging lesson about this WC, it has been about great teams, not great individuals, and I sense that Rodgers understands about putting together teams, not hiring stars.

Last season everything conspired to go our way in the league, no Euro football, early cup exits, few injuries, generous refereeing decisions, good disciplinary record, both Mancs and Chelsea with new managers, and Arsenal losing Walcott at a crucial time. That was a perfect storm that will not be repeated.

Buying stars who are available, who will add to the side, whom we can afford, who will come to Merseyside, and who believe we will be in the CL for more than a season is no easy task and I understand the “safety first” mentality of buying the likes of Lallana and Lambert. We will just have to hope that we get lucky again, as we did with Suarez.

It's still pretty early in transfer window terms, and the better players don't usually become available until after the really big spenders have thrown their money around and shown who they consider to be surplus to requirements, which is how we picked up Sakho.

It's not shaping up to be a big name grabbing window, but we failed at that before, so maybe this is the third option, that lies somewhere between the speculative risks and established CL talent.

Whilst I disagree about the "we exist to sell players for profit" idea, I do think that if we don't start to invest in top players now that we are in the CL, we will begin to see our best players leave every summer.

In that sense I can see the Arsenal comparison.

You could fall into a bucket of tits and you'd still come out sucking your thumb!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The best news of the day is Robben ruling out a move to the cunts. Not only does that mean they won't be getting a brilliant player, it means Shaqiri will continue to be a squad player at Bayern. This hopefully means he now really looks at his options and fingers crossed we look like the most attractive one.

Straw clutching perhaps, but could be a massive indication of our intentions, if we finally target and get someone of genuine class.

Make it fucking happen

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So Khedira is ace now because he played one great match at the WC? Has anybody ever seen him play before, ever? Not to mention his injury record. I hope Arsenal get him.

Well, he has played 150 times for perhaps the most visible club in the world. I'd sat quite a few people have seen in, mate.

• Upvote 1

Cant believe the Rodriguez from Southampton link is true, hes a much shitter version of Owen,runs on to balls and finishes, would be a pointless signing and I cant see where he would fit in.

We might aswell keep borini if we are seriously considering Rodriguez, not much between them and it saves us getting ripped off by Southampton again, personally I hope neither are here and we get someone better.

I don't want to start a thread for what is still essentially a rumour, but it's looking a distinct possibility that the City v Liverpool game will be moved to Monday night.

Just a heads up for anybody making plans.

I believe it's something to do with the LGBT / Pride Parade in Manchester. Not confirmed yet, but worth a nod to any mates to keep a lookout for this fixture change.

For all the pull of Van Gaal, there's no CL for United, and that's got to hurt them in terms of attracting players.

There's a chance they could be back in the top 4 next year, but if you were player, would you consider that a very good chance? I'm not so sure.

And Van Gaal's reputation is as much a turn off for many top players. If they want to attract top flight players I expect to see them offering massive fees and salaries over the next few weeks.

And Van Gaal's reputation is as much a turn off for many top players. If they want to attract top flight players I expect to see them offering massive fees and salaries over the next few weeks.

Its making me laugh the Manc spin that Van Gaal is some sort of amazing manager, a hell of a lot better than Moyes of course but he hasn't done anything particular of note since his first spell at Barcelona which ended 14 years ago

He did an amazing job at Ajax then went and won the league in two out of three seasons with Barcelona, he then failed to qualify for the 2002 World Cup with the Netherlands (a much stronger squad than they have now) before going back to Barcelona and getting sacked whilst in 12th position, he then went to AZ and did build a fairly good team (although they came 11th one season) and did well to win the league in his final season which is all you can ask for but then remember this is a league Steve Mclaren has won and then went to Bayern Munich and won the league in his first season (anything else is failure) and reached a Champions League final which obviously takes ability to do but you get fuck all for being runners up, he then managed to come 3rd the following season which is absolutely shit for Bayern. Then he has taken over the Dutch team again with probably the weakest squad they've ever had in my life time and got them to 3rd in the World Cup so fair play to him for that (although they were lucky in last 16 and quarters) so all in all I would say he is a good manager but I'd have been a lot more concerned if that had got Ancelotti or someone of that ilk, realistically I don't think they ever were going to so would probably have been better of going for one of the young upcoming managers (Klopp, Simeone etc) I think they'll improve from last year but its far from nailed on they'll get back in the top 4