You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Vidal, when asked about United rumours:

'I've heard about the rumours, but I haven't spoken more about this subject.
'I'm enjoying my holidays, and when I return to Italy I'll see what happens.
'I'm very calm, but anyone would love to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world.'

LVG will do OK with the Mancs. I don't think he's anything special but they wont have Europe as a factor and crucially Slur won't be stinking the place out . It's a massive advantage that the old fart used all his kudos up on the disastrous choice of Moyes,  They'll get top 4 unfortunately

They sign bigger names because they're coming off the back of two decades of success with a trophy haul that'd break the weight limit on most clubs' trophy cabinets. It's shit, but it's true.

This isn't supermarket shopping where we're actively deciding to slum it at Aldi whilst our neighbours are swanking it up in Waitrose. Nobody simply buys a player like it's picking up a packet of biscuits.

LVG will do OK with the Mancs. I don't think he's anything special but they wont have Europe as a factor and crucially Slur won't be stinking the place out . It's a massive advantage that the old fart used all his kudos up on the disastrous choice of Moyes,  They'll get top 4 unfortunately

I agree. And it won't be difficult to improve upon DFM's performance.

I think Van G is a class act and would have done very well here, unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, he terrified Ayre. Retaining Giggs was a smart move, and when they get back into the CL I expect to see them improve upon Whiskeynoses' lacklustre results.

Rodgers still has to carve out a Euro track record, Van G already has one, and all he has to do is get the existing squad into the top four before he buys again for the CL.

Rodgers still has it all to do, but he did on appointment and has excelled, and will again. I think being the underdog suits him.

Yeah, Van Gaal is average at best. He has only won pretty much everything in club football at the European level and he has won the league with every single team he has managed in 3-4 different countries. Pretty much what Mourinho and Ancelotti did with more money. 

Other than that, Van Gaal is average.

Remind me again what have Pellegrini and Rodgers won?

• Downvote 2

Pellegrini's won the Premiership.

Van Gaal's a very good manager (what he achieved with Ajax is one of the greatest sporting achievements in football the last 20 years imo), but I'm not convinced by the signing's they've made so far and they still seem to be missing out on a fair few of their targets despite losing a lot of his senior leaders (Rooney and RVP aside).

edit: "their", not "his" targets.

He won the PL at the age of 60+, while managing a club owned by an oil funded third world royal who fancies buying footballers as if they were watches. well done.

So you think Van Gaal will fail?

I think we will regret we did not appoint him two seasons ago. When I say "we", I mean the fans, as the owners DON'T GIVE A SHIT about winning. They are happy to employ Yesmen and milk the cashcow.

Where's the TV and CL money John Henry? Where are the Top Dollar players you promised? you twat.

• Downvote 4

When people mention the fact Utd are out the CL (for the first time in years) do they really think that makes much of a real difference? We signed Suarez while out the CL and they have a much bigger draw then us. They seem to be going a different route to us though because having lost some squad/team stalwarts they appear to be going more for the quality over quantity. Suppose this season will determine which was the right route because I think people are mad if they think they will finish anywhere near last years position.

Man Utd's whole short term future rests on the concept that they can "do a Liverpool" and jump from the 7th best team in the country to the top table in one fell swoop, it's like some miracle on 34th street shit and their whole fan base has bought into it, completely unchallenged.

It's like me saying i'm going to go set sail on this epic trip to find a dodo egg. Then for me to appear on northwest tonight talking about the adventure, becoming the most trended subject on twitter with famous celebrities like Rihanna tweeting "You go get dat egg mang" and millions of people vicariously living through my mission to search for this egg. 

But ultimately the egg is nowhere to be seen, because the egg never existed in the first place, how can you build your entire existence on the impossibility of a fairytale? They actually believe they're going to do what we did, without the continuity, without a Suarez, it's not just stupidity, it's downright reckless.

• Upvote 1

Its making me laugh the Manc spin that Van Gaal is some sort of amazing manager, a hell of a lot better than Moyes of course but he hasn't done anything particular of note since his first spell at Barcelona which ended 14 years ago

He did an amazing job at Ajax then went and won the league in two out of three seasons with Barcelona, he then failed to qualify for the 2002 World Cup with the Netherlands (a much stronger squad than they have now) before going back to Barcelona and getting sacked whilst in 12th position, he then went to AZ and did build a fairly good team (although they came 11th one season) and did well to win the league in his final season which is all you can ask for but then remember this is a league Steve Mclaren has won and then went to Bayern Munich and won the league in his first season (anything else is failure) and reached a Champions League final which obviously takes ability to do but you get fuck all for being runners up, he then managed to come 3rd the following season which is absolutely shit for Bayern. Then he has taken over the Dutch team again with probably the weakest squad they've ever had in my life time and got them to 3rd in the World Cup so fair play to him for that (although they were lucky in last 16 and quarters) so all in all I would say he is a good manager but I'd have been a lot more concerned if that had got Ancelotti or someone of that ilk, realistically I don't think they ever were going to so would probably have been better of going for one of the young upcoming managers (Klopp, Simeone etc) I think they'll improve from last year but its far from nailed on they'll get back in the top 4

You're a bit obsessed with Manchester United, you. Fuck them.