You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Guest LFD

Yes, really. The reason Aspas hasn't been getting games is because he's back up for the best attackers in the league. Exactly the reason you gave for Richards not playing. My point being that just because you're back up for the best player in the league, it doesn't mean you're a top player yourself. Actually, it says nothing about your ability at all.

As for Richards proving himself, when was that then? He was once a decent but flawed prospect. Now, after years of not playing more than a handful of games, where is he? I'd be gutted if we went into the market for a right back and came out with Richards as our first choice for next season.

If Suarez or Sturridge get injured recently instead of starting Aspas, we have played Lucas or Allen instead to not play him.

If Zabaleta got injured for Man City, they'd select Richards.  I don't get your example.

I think Richards has shown plenty of talent in the past at right back, for England and Man City.  His problem is fitness and it is a big problem, as I agree with you he might not be worth the risk.  But given we have Flanagan, Wisdom and other talented youngsters - maybe he is worth the risk.  I'm not sure.  

I'd still keep johnson next season, with Flanagan and wisdom as backup. Rest johnson when he needs it and manage him so hes fresh into the second half of the season. Get kelly out on loan for a season before we write him off and if a prem side wants to loan wisdom then bring mclaughlin in. Unless de sciglio or clyne is genuinely available at a decent price I don't see the motivation to bring someone in there.

left side is far more pressing imo.

We need another striker. I'm undecided on Borini. I like that he can play right across the front three, and he has done well at Sunderland. His movement is quite good. 

He's not in the class of Suarez or Sturridge, so for me it all depends on what we can realistically bring in, considering it's a third choice striker. If it is someone clearly better than Borini, fine. But I have my doubts about whether such a man will be willing to come here and not be first choice. 

I think Borini will come back and will get something like 20 games in all comps next season, and he will score 8-10 goals. Not world class by any means, or even close, but I think the lad will do a decent job when called upon. 

Guest LFD

Really? Did you see his performance when Man City got dumped out of the cup by Wigan? He's nowhere near good enough.

I don't judge players on one game.

You wouldn't judge Gerrard or Suarez vs Chelsea.

I don't judge players on one game.

You wouldn't judge Gerrard or Suarez vs Chelsea.

Richards is no Suarez or Gerrard. Both on a bad day against Chelsea played 100 times better than Richards when he had his chance for Man City against Wigan. It's telling that he hasn't been picked to play for Man City since. He's not only injury prone he's simply not good enough. I wouldn't give two bob for him.

Richards is a shite rb, at cb he has the potential to be world class though.

The season he played cb next to dunne he was immense, he hasn't had a run there since though and Im wary because of his injuries.

It would be dependant on the fee for me, if we can get him cheap its worth the risk, if its a high fee his injury record is too much of a concern.

• Downvote 1

I'd still keep johnson next season, with Flanagan and wisdom as backup. Rest johnson when he needs it and manage him so hes fresh into the second half of the season. Get kelly out on loan for a season before we write him off and if a prem side wants to loan wisdom then bring mclaughlin in. Unless de sciglio or clyne is genuinely available at a decent price I don't see the motivation to bring someone in there.

left side is far more pressing imo.

Shut up pete.

• Upvote 2

We need a minimum of six quality players brought in.

Two midfielders are must. Lucas has to go, no questions asked, he`s as mobile as a lamp-post. It`s no coincidence we started dropping points when Henderson was missing.

And we need to start using Gerrard more sparingly.

Two fullbacks one either side thank you.

Two wide front men, (Konoplyanka, Shakiri for example) to give competition/Alternatives to Sterling and Coutinho.

And possibly another striker as well if Borini has no future here.

This is our best chance since 2002 to get a top class squad in place, we can`t afford to fuck it up.

We need a minimum of six quality players brought in.

Two midfielders are must. Lucas has to go, no questions asked, he`s as mobile as a lamp-post. It`s no coincidence we started dropping points when Henderson was missing.

And we need to start using Gerrard more sparingly.

Two fullbacks one either side thank you.

Two wide front men, (Konoplyanka, Shakiri for example) to give competition/Alternatives to Sterling and Coutinho.

And possibly another striker as well if Borini has no future here.

This is our best chance since 2002 to get a top class squad in place, we can`t afford to fuck it up.

Is that Shakira's sister?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Two good full backs needed.

Yep. Been saying it for a while. Fullbacks and a quality midfielder who can cover a lot of ground and can get in a tackle or five.

We had Kelly, Enrique, Johnson all injured this season, a young rookie fullback playing on his least favoured side and we did not bring in a top quality full back when we were top of the league in January. We failed to bring in anyone at all. Not good enough Ayre, fuck off

Top priorities are:

- 1 quality left back

- 1 defensive midfielder to share the load with Gerrard

- 1 quality striker

- 1 wide player/attacker

Ideally we should add:

- 1 box to box midfielder (Allen/Henderson type)

- 1 quality right back

- 1 number 10/Coutinho type (could be Suso, but I doubt it)

In addition Wisdom, Borini, Illori and maybe Suso should return to be squad players, Ibe contributing to the first team would be a bonus, I'm not counting on that. I have little or no hope for Robinson or Coady.

Get rid of Aspas, Toure, Alberto (probably) and maybe Lucas. If we get a decent bid for Agger, sell him too, which may mean we need to bring in a CB as well.

The above is an ideal world in my eyes, all of this will not happen of course. If we can meet more than half of this wishlist we could be ok though. I absolutely did not see us challenging for the title this year back in August, so there you go.

• Downvote 1

I get the feeling this summer could be equally about shipping players out as getting them in.

Lucas looks increasingly like a remnant of a bygone era.

Coates wasn't rated by Rodgers even when fit.

Ditto for Kelly.

Alberto will want a loan.

Johnson wants the knackers yard.

CL football's the lure. This is the opportunity to finally get in a player who can fill the centre of the pitch and prepare for the unthinkable, life after Gerrard. One player who can control the tempo from the centre would be invaluable.

Lucas + Coates + Johnson plus whatever we were going to spend in Jan might equal a Rakitic shaped sum.

No more wasting money on players we don't even play Alberto, Borini, Assaidi etc and shite like Aspas please.

Can someone kidnap Ayre until after the window closes so someone competent may actually be involved in the negotiations.

• Upvote 1