You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez: The little magician

WhiskeyJar

The gist was that you don't believe players try to injure other players.  Ignoring red cards and ridiculously lenient yellows into the bargain.

It seems I said it was rare. And I believe it is. Otherwise why wouldn't the top players be targeted? Why risk a red card and ban for injuring a reserve LB when you could take out their star midfielder?

Do you play football? Have you ever intentionally injured someone?

It seems I said it was rare. And I believe it is. Otherwise why wouldn't the top players be targeted? Why risk a red card and ban for injuring a reserve LB when you could take out their star midfielder?

Do you play football? Have you ever intentionally injured someone?

100% yes, I have.  I was reluctant to type that as I know how horrid it looks written down, but anyone who's played football who says they haven't isn't telling the truth.

The last time was only a year or so ago when a young lad (20s, in a full England kit) was doing keepy uppys on the edge of our box in a summer league 7-a-side cos he was so much acer than everyone else on the pitch, even though he was half our age.  I was over the other side of the pitch, but managed to make it over there in time to clobber him.

The lads I was playing with were foreign (New Zealanders like you, actually Major) and so didn't really seem to understand the insult the lad was giving.  He needed to be told.

But this has gone slightly off-topic.

Professional players try to injure professional players all the time.  You don't think they do.  There's nothing more I can really say.

100% yes, I have.  I was reluctant to type that as I know how horrid it looks written down, but anyone who's played football who says they haven't isn't telling the truth.

The last time was only a year or so ago when a young lad (20s, in a full England kit) was doing keepy uppys on the edge of our box in a summer league 7-a-side cos he was so much acer than everyone else on the pitch, even though he was half our age.  I was over the other side of the pitch, but managed to make it over there in time to clobber him.

The lads I was playing with were foreign (New Zealanders like you, actually Major) and so didn't really seem to understand the insult the lad was giving.  He needed to be told.

But this has gone slightly off-topic.

Professional players try to injure professional players all the time.  You don't think they do.  There's nothing more I can really say.

New Zealanders are a thick bunch.

Happy to leave that at that and happy to leave the intentional injury thingy debate there too.

On topic, as those above have said, Suarez is an incredible player who may well drag us to the CL. Just brilliant to watch. Long may he stay.

Any of you rose-tinted, players don't intentionally injure each other brigade see what Nolan did to Henderson last week? What do you think he was trying to do?

And it's very easy for someone to do the same to Suarez, fuck his achilles or something, and put him out for a month.

And it's very easy for someone to do the same to Suarez, fuck his achilles or something, and put him out for a month.

So very easy, that's it actually never happened to Suarez? Spurs are a competitor for a top 4 spot, can we expect one of them to try and take out Suarez for a month? Or can we expect Skrtel to try the same on one of their key players?

• Upvote 1

I see Luis has been awarded a second goal vs West Ham last weekend 

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-striker-luis-suarez-awarded-second-goal-in-match-against-west-ham-by-dubious-goals-panel-8998574.html

So that's 15 GOALS in just 10 games. And most of those goals have been absolutely brilliant (although I freely admit as a fan I'm slightly biased). In total then that's 53 Premier League goals in just 87 appearances.  Just incredible and he is indeed our little magician. Hopefully he remains ours too, but for now I'm just going to enjoy this season and marvel at his ingenuity on the pitch.

He's on fire and makes watching football an absolute joy.

Sort of shows you how unlucky Kenny was with Luis, although he played incredible he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo........

wouldn't say Kenny misused him or anything but I do think Brendan has had a positive effect and ensured he has got the best out of Luis

He's the best striker we've had since Fowler. Just as lethal a goal scorer but a better all-round footballer.

And he's been really behaving himself too, none of the snidey stuff this season from him which we saw in previous years. Maybe the media will come to like him. Unlikely...

That shot today, where it looked like he was clipped but played on and tried to get a shot away on the floor shows his determination to score, and highlights how much he's come on. Maybe being harsh but 12 months ago I think he'd have taken a tumble and rolled about a bit in the same situation.

I was a bit gutted when I heard what Stevie said about him after the game........ But I think in the summer if you'd have said he'd get us into the top 4 and then we'd get 70 million plus for him most of us would have accepted that, particularly because of the situation, and how much of a cunt he was being.

He's the best striker we've had since Fowler. Just as lethal a goal scorer but a better all-round footballer.

And he's been really behaving himself too, none of the snidey stuff this season from him which we saw in previous years. Maybe the media will come to like him. Unlikely...

I think that Brendan takes great credit for getting him to concentrate on the pitch, and scoring goals.

With no "incidents" , and no interviews, there is no story for the media other than his excellent form which is rightly getting the plaudits it deserves.