You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Downing...

WhiskeyJar

Haha fucking hell Coro you mad mad spastic, quite possibly supassing Twat72 levels of insanity in this thread, that really is some going you mental bastard.

I mean if the blithering ranting fool that is DennisTooth is the only one thats backing you up surely that must set alarm bells off in your sorry twisted mind?

Its quite disturbing in a way, but hey a fuck up is gonna act like a fuck up right?

What a fucking freakshow, unbelievable.

Coro is spot on in a way. Comolli was FSG's first appointment and main man trusted with the football side. He was mostly terrible.

If FSG had appointed someone better, or worked up their "transfer team" with Kenny, Ayre and the Man City guys, there would have been better support for Kenny and hopefully a better spot of talent.

Kenny does have to take responsibility for Downing and the other summer signings as well though as he was working with Commoli on those. That goes for good and bad, obviously.

Out with the old, in with the new.

We overpaid for him, but he became a first team first pick, and adapted well to both managers input.

Comolli enjoyed splashing cash - but then again so does Rodgers, and judging by the complete lack of imagination and one dimensional play v Celtic, I dont see the new improving on the old. Still no centre forward (Sturridge seems to like circumnavigating the final third) and the usual soft goal conceded.

I can see the Downing / Carroll partnership dealing West Ham a few goals over the coming season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

With the benefit of hindsight, Comolli was a disastrous appointment, and whilst FSG must take responsibility for him, I don't think it's something they should be hammered to hard for.

They came in, totally green, and wanted somebody experienced to help run the club. That's a perfectly sensible decision. They took the advice of somebody they trusted in a sport they do know about. Again, that's understandable. Unfortunately he's a bit shit in reality. He didn't last long, rightly so.

Coro is spot on in a way. Comolli was FSG's first appointment and main man trusted with the football side. He was mostly terrible.

If FSG had appointed someone better, or worked up their "transfer team" with Kenny, Ayre and the Man City guys, there would have been better support for Kenny and hopefully a better spot of talent.

Kenny does have to take responsibility for Downing and the other summer signings as well though as he was working with Commoli on those. That goes for good and bad, obviously.

Coro is wrong to claim that KK was not responsible for transfers, and the quotes from KK prove it.

However you are right to say that Comolli was their football advisor, and was the wrong appointment for the right post.

Appointing a junior DOF over an experienced, veteran , gnarled, legendary manager was doomed, and so it proved. FSG’s failure to appoint KK as a non-exec Director is bewildering.

Kenny’s weakness was in having no scouting team, and no experienced streetwise, lieutenants with their ears to the ground- Comolli was not the man to cover for that.

FSG have consistently made cack-handed appointments. Allowing a man with one year’s PL experience to veto a DOF appointment was lunacy. Appointing as MD of one of Europe’s Top Ten richest clubs someone who had previously run Huddersfield Town equally inane.

The consequences of poor decisions are far reaching. A £14m loss on Downing, another £10m in wages is money we have not spent on a CL tilt. When Suarez gets itchy feet it is not because he has not done his job, but that FSG have not done their job in appointing the right men to make the right decisions.

For whatever reason , Downing, a decent PL grade, and journeyman international class, player has not made it. We have had worse. He will do well at West ham, not so that it embarrasses us, but ok, and that was all he was ever going to be.

With the benefit of hindsight, Comolli was a disastrous appointment, and whilst FSG must take responsibility for him, I don't think it's something they should be hammered to hard for.

They came in, totally green, and wanted somebody experienced to help run the club. That's a perfectly sensible decision. They took the advice of somebody they trusted in a sport they do know about. Again, that's understandable. Unfortunately he's a bit shit in reality. He didn't last long, rightly so.

A fair summary.

Right position, wrong man.

I'm genuinely interested. Despite his own personal opinion that Downing is shit, he STILL went searching for positive stats to use against the manager. Again: He specifically tried to find good points about a player he apparently hates in order to take another dig at the manager. That's just weird.

They just appeard on my Twitter timeline.

Nothing more and while I think Downing is a bit shite and we paid £10m too much for him, he's better than the alternatives we have now so to celebrate he is gone seems strange.

It is only good if we have someone better coming in. I think all the shipping out has been done now, we are down to the bones and need a couple in.

I thought we needed one more upfront but that is two now Downing is gone. We have time and I hope we do it, or it is going to be a hard season.

Sooooo.... back to Downing. Has this transfer been done yet? Last twitter notice was that he'd past his medical. This morning, I heard on the radio that personal terms were being agreed.

believe alladyce is having a medical... must be mad to spend 5 million on downing...