You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think Moores and Parry were better owners than FSG. They didn't make anywhere near as much as they hould have in merchandise and sponsorships but they backed the manager with money as much as they could it seemed.

FSG have brought in far more in sponsorships but spend like Moores.

Yeah, but they've done it at a time where the club was actually losing money. We need to sort something out this window, though, otherwise it's a massive wasted opportunity.

I am happy with the outcome of this (if indeed it is finished) and how things have played out since Henry got involved. But there has to be a lesson. This rumbled on all summer, another fucking shambles getting played through the media until jwh flew to Norway. Once he was this side of the Atlantic, he took control, showed leadership and this thing has come to a head, closed out by the looks of it with a couple of weeks still to play in the window and just as importantly, put to bed before the 1st game. If that was the old Suarez today in training, I fail to see how it can have done anything but given the players a boost, after all they will have been the ones who had previously seen his head go.

Henry needs to realise he either needs to have this level of involvement on a regular basis or hire someone who has the ability, will and support of the board to act this decisively and lead our club properly.

As coro says, we shouldn't be praising the owners for doing their job, but this is how bad things have got. Lets be glad this has worked out and hope there's a lesson learnt and they realise leaving the days to day control of the club in Ian ayre's hands is madness.

This guy. Appoint this guy.

Image - Dick Jaws.jpg - The Rutles Wiki

I also suspect that, just surprised we have no interview on the official site saying he loves us and the fans and our ambition made him change his mind and all that bollocks

Who would buy his bollocks even if he uttered them anyway. It's now time for unsentimental, cold calculation henceforth.

Let's get the best we can out of him going forward, if he manages to avoid any more bans that is. The best thing about this outcome being we've left Wenger with eggs on his face and Henry has proved to be a worthy owner. Well done.

But he was told in no uncertain terms from the beginning he did not have one. He chose to continue to prolong the situation to force a move' date=' they knew the whole time there was no clause imo. In the end I imagine Luis was surprised at the complete disinterest of any other club in even being linked to him.[/quote']

I think your last line is right. However, the whole "test the clause" piece illustrates neither player or agent were sure. However, it's more than this - everything Suarez said when away with Uruguay suggested it was clear to him he'd be allowed to leave. Our replies via leaks to the press, I always felt we're ambiguous - he's not for sale unless someone bids £45m, until cavani moved and that changed to market value. It seemed very clear he was available if the money was right. I thought he should just never have been available, which was pretty much Henry's message last week and the first time we'd heard that without caveats.

I honestly think Henry's involvement was what put this to bed, that's when the Suarez camp realised LFC were serious. I'm not sure we needed 2 months to get to that point.

I think Moores and Parry were better owners than FSG. They didn't make anywhere near as much as they hould have in merchandise and sponsorships but they backed the manager with money as much as they could it seemed.

FSG have brought in far more in sponsorships but spend like Moores.

Mooress and Parry? Let's keep away the can or worms.

I think your last line is right. However, the whole "test the clause" piece illustrates neither player or agent were sure. However, it's more than this - everything Suarez said when away with Uruguay suggested it was clear to him he'd be allowed to leave. Our replies via leaks to the press, I always felt we're ambiguous - he's not for sale unless someone bids £45m, until cavani moved and that changed to market value. It seemed very clear he was available if the money was right. I thought he should just never have been available, which was pretty much Henry's message last week and the first time we'd heard that without caveats.

I honestly think Henry's involvement was what put this to bed, that's when the Suarez camp realised LFC were serious. I'm not sure we needed 2 months to get to that point.

Nail on the head.

Why did it take so long for those with the authority to say what actually needed to be said, being said?

Unless of course, they were holding out for a huge offer from other sources, to offload a problem child?

Sadly, LS is the right sort of player for us, he just isnt the right sort of person for us.

From The Guardian:

Luis Suárez returned from the cold at Liverpool on Friday when he trained with the senior squad for the first time since accusing the club and Brendan Rodgers of breaking promises over his future. The striker was welcomed back at Melwood despite not offering a personal apology to the Liverpool manager.

Rodgers had ordered the Uruguay international to train away from the squad following his interview in the Guardian last week, when he stated his desire to join Arsenal and criticised Liverpool's stance over a £40m clause in his contract. The Liverpool manager insisted the punishment would not be lifted until Suárez apologised for his "total disrespect of the club" but it is understood he was allowed to rejoin training following positive talks with Rodgers, although not a direct apology.

Suárez returned to Melwood on Friday having played an international friendly in Japan in midweek and offered contrition for the disruption the saga may have caused his team-mates and a commitment to training that has been lacking in pre-season. Rodgers had said Suárez owed the apology to his team-mates and the club and the return to training is the first clear indication the striker accepts his immediate future lies at Anfield.

Relations between manager and player have been strained by Suárez's attempts to leave and Liverpool's refusal to enter into negotiations with Arsenal once they submitted a bid over £40m, by one pound. Liverpool believe their correct stance over a disputed clause in the player's contract, plus their consistent refusal to sell, has given Suárez little alternative but to accept his immediate future remains on Merseyside.

Liverpool's principal owner, John W Henry, reinforced the club's position last week when he announced that no offer from Arsenal, or a European club, could prise Suárez away so late in this transfer window. But Rodgers admitted only on Thursday that the stand-off threatened to "sabotage" Liverpool's start to the new Premier League season and declared an end to questions on Suárez as a result.

Rodgers's team begin at home to Stoke City on Saturday and despite finishing seventh last season, and failing to land any major transfer targets so far this summer, the Liverpool manager believes it is realistic to expect a Champions League challenge at Anfield. "No doubt there will be calls for us to improve but that's not new, that's not unexpected," he said. "It's what you expect at a big club. We want to make improvements and believe we will.

"Of course it's a challenge but you have to accept it when you're at a big club such as this. I can stand here and make excuses, I can say City have spent £90-odd million and other teams already in there have got stronger and reinforced as a group, but that won't help my job here. We will just continue to fight and find different ways to do that, and I believe we will be stronger this year."

Liverpool are entering a fourth season without Champions League football and failed to land leading transfer targets such as Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Diego Costa. The club are close to agreeing a fee for the midfielder Willian, with Anzhi Makhachkala looking to recoup their £30m outlay on the Brazilian. Liverpool have also agreed a deal with Valencia to sign Aly Cissokho on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent deal. The French left-back is due on Merseyside to complete the transfer next week. Liverpool had expected to complete the €5m signing of Guilherme Siqueira this week only for Granada to inflate their asking price for the left-back late in negotiations.

Rodgers added: "The Champions League will always be the measure of Liverpool, for the length of time I'm here and when I move on for the next manager coming in. I think the problem is if you start to think about it being unfair then you just anchor yourself and it's hard to move on. I can make enough excuses but it's not going to solve anything. We have got to fight for our life, with our play. Play with the type of football that can maybe be different and get players in who are hungry. If you are in those top echelons you can maybe attract another type of player but I'm not going to bleat and moan about it being unfair, I just need to get on with the job and do the best I can."

The Liverpool manager admitted that central defence is another area he is looking to improve before the transfer deadline. He said: "Do we need strengthen there? Only if the right player is available. That's the simplicity of it. That player hasn't been available. We are confident in the next couple of weeks we can add to the team. And if we do that we are going to be in a real good position."

So, we have a fucking idiot footballer who becomes a superstar with an agent who, as they are, is a cunt, against owners and management. Owners and management basically tell superstar dickhead and agent to shut the fuck up. Superstar dick realises he's been a bit of a naughty boy and says his version of sorry but it's still the owners and managers fault. Is that what some are arguing?

So, we have a fucking idiot footballer who becomes a superstar with an agent who, as they are, is a cunt, against owners and management. Owners and management basically tell superstar dickhead and agent to shut the fuck up. Superstar dick realises he's been a bit of a naughty boy and says his version of sorry but it's still the owners and managers fault. Is that what some are arguing?

No.

Guest San Don

He still hasnt said he wants to stay and fight for the cause. But he knows his chances of moving to another club this window, despite what the guardian and daily wail are saying, are slim to none.

Guest San Don

I disagree about our replies being ambiguous. We said all along he wasnt for sale and we didnt neither wanted to sell or had to sell him. The manager said what had been offered was nowhere near the player's value given the current market. That's a statement of fact not intent.

Obviously everyone has their own take on it but to me, the club has been very clear on this.

Isn't it funny how Bale is an angel for trying to force his way out and the media go easy on him, Suarez is in a constant state of crazed madness in the media, a fantasy some of the mungo jerrys on here want to entertain daily.

Suarez is our No.7, his desire on the pitch is rarely matched. Kill the gossip, support the team and support the players. YNWA

If arsenal take a beating Wednesday their fans will be in total meltdown,then rodgers and the club should act smart and call arsenals and suarezs bluff.

Make it public that wenger can have suarez for 70mil plus a pound, take it or leave it and sit back and watch the media frenzy.Suarez wouldnt fancy going because of not being guaranteed champs league, and wenger would shit himself under the pressure of spending so much money. Put em both in their place.

If arsenal take a beating Wednesday their fans will be in total meltdown' date='then rodgers and the club should act smart and call arsenals and suarezs bluff.

Make it public that wenger can have suarez for 70mil plus a pound, take it or leave it and sit back and watch the media frenzy.Suarez wouldnt fancy going because of not being guaranteed champs league, and wenger would shit himself under the pressure of spending so much money. Put em both in their place.[/quote']

And slide in a cheeky bid for jack Wilshire just to upset the apple cart a bit more and let that bellend maddock do a John cross for us in the mirror.