You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ferguson retiring Imminent.

TheHitman

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to Whiskeynose, the Secret Footballer seems to be of the same opinion as me it seems.

The Secret Footballer: why Alex Ferguson is a legend of the game | Football | The Guardian

This is the part I'm referring to:

For me, the great unknown, where Moyes is concerned, lies not in the fact that he is yet to win a trophy or manage a team that has got beyond the qualification stage of the Champions League; it's whether he has the ruthlessness to be as successful as Ferguson, both in terms of putting household names out to graze and grooming the managers around him for his own ends.

The greatest trick Ferguson ever pulled was convincing his contemporaries that they should be grateful to him while he weakened their own chance of success. I remember one of my managers waving a bound A4 booklet in the air during a team meeting and saying: "I've phoned Alex up and he's sent me United's scouting report (on Chelsea, who we were playing that weekend)." He seemed blissfully unaware that if Fergie was doing it for him, then in all likelihood he was probably doing it for everyone else, too. The problem was that our manager refused to see past the fact that, in his eyes, Ferguson had done him a personal favour.

If you can convince your rivals you're doing them a favour and they should be grateful for it, while at the same time weakening any chance they ever had of competing with you, then yours are the spoils for as long as you have the hunger. With Ferguson pulling the strings, Moyes might just have a chance.

I was surprised so little was ever made in the media over the hatchet job on Rafa where laughably Ferguson and Allardyce and several others made out he was doing a game-over sign. It was an obvious insult to everyone's intelligence, media and supporters alike and really showed up that little cabal for what it was and what it was supposed to achieve. Seemingly to protect Ferguson from the foreign managers that kept challenging him for league titles or perhaps highlighting refereeing anomalies, and in turn he'd allow the little guys a slice of pie from time to time. How loaning players within the same league is still allowed by the Premier League is beyond me. Ferguson should still be pilloried for the Rafa game-over accusations, he isn't. It was beyond the pale, ahem. You're very likely to be reminded of Rafa's 'rant' though. I understand what Ferguson's cabal get from their deal. I've never really understood what the media get from being quite so partial. Just being allowed to continue going to press conferences and other soirees where they can collect anecdotes for future books is my sole guess.

I've never really understood what the media get from being quite so partial. Just being allowed to continue going to press conferences and other soirees where they can collect anecdotes for future books is my sole guess.

You could argue that many journalists are not guaranteed a job from one week to the next, it's piece work, and if you get banned from United pressers (and then perhaps banned from the pressers of his mates like Moyes, Allardyce etc) then you're not doing yourself any favours.

Same with the house journalists on salaries, their employer might rethink terms if their lead footballer reporter is banned from attending the pressers of the most famous club in the league.

The other aspect is your participation in the pressers. If you're a trouble maker then you won't get to ask all the questions you want, and you may not get an answer. Whereas the regular hacks who, in the midst of a scandal, may ask Ferguson what his opinion is of the contribution of Ryan Giggs over 20 years to United, will always get a chance to ask a question and get a response, and then maybe an additional couple of words outside of the presser. They may even get selected to interview the new star signing ahead of the others, or be tipped off on transfer deadline day about a possible bit of action.

If you get stonewalled by Ferguson and United then you're not going to last too long as a football reporter in this country. That's why all of them, almost to a man, went with the Rafa's Rant story as opposed to 'is there something in this?' angle.

You'll get some journo's who float above it a bit. Say like Barry Glendenning and James Richardson with the podcast, but their currency is not interviews, it's analysis.

You could argue...

I think that's all true. I guess from time to time we've all listened to a manager's press conference either on the radio or on the BBC website. I've heard Harry Redknapp talking to hacks and they're laughing in the aisles like it's a Billy Connolly stand-up set from the 80's. Yet they're meant to be the impartial observers, they're journalists, it isn't the golf club. None of which matters very much until the important matters arise such as who should be the next national boss, or is this guy fit to be in charge of finances given his history, his dubious dealings with certain agents and his tax investigations by HMRC. Then it's kind of important.

Read that article earlier. Basically says that he would help managers beat the teams around him but when they turned up at Old Trafford, surprise surprise, they rolled over.

Its been going on for years, but to dare mention it earns you tinfoil hat brigade status.

It's been so fucking obvious though its ridiculous. Of course yeah the mancs are a good team and they'll more often than not beat the league's weaker teams.

But I've seen performances at Old Trafford akin to handing out a tab of vaseline and bending over. Just no attempt at a fight.

Fucking stroll on. "Sunday Supplement Sir Alex Special" followed by "Goals on Sunday - My Gweat Fwiend Suwallix Special with Woy fucking Hodgson"

Where's the fucking razor blades...

Have you seen the little messages just after the adverts on Sky? I was watching a game from La Liga last night, the adverts end, then I get "We'd like to thank Sir Alex Ferguson for all the memories".

Not looking forward to 'scotch of the day' tonight.

im seriously sick of this fucking slur love in. it;s gonna be worse when he dies. he fucking hated the bbc and they are licking the gin from his shit.

fuck you mr ferguspn. you are a bad quim. go and open a fresh bottle of parrafin.

It's a good piece that. I think his celebrity and dominance was such that people felt their own status was enhanced if they felt he liked them. It included refs, managers and senior officials no doubt. That's how Hitler rolled too.

What's the point of this fucking berk?

Anyone?...

Anyone?...

What's the point of keeping moaning that people are wanking over Ferguson. He won trophy after trophy in both Scotland and England, of course the media are singing his praises.

Ferguson is a twat. Personally, I stopped letting him (and United) get to me when I realized it was pointless as no matter how much I wound myself up, they were going to continue to win things. Them surpassing our haul of league titles was shite, but watching Barcelona twat them in two European Cup Finals was extremely enjoyable.

Edited by Tony Manero

What's the point of keeping moaning that people are wanking over Ferguson. He won trophy after trophy in both Scotland and England, of course the media are singing his praises.

I think you'll find there are a lot of people moaning about the ferguson wank-a-thon. You see, this is a football forum where football and associated topics get discussed. If someone wants to moan about the BBC's sycophancy or Sky's overt fappery over the cunt this would probably be the best place to do it.

I think you'll also find, going by your row of red squares that nobody on here gives a flying one about your opinions on anything. Now fuck off.

I think you'll find there are a lot of people moaning about the ferguson wank-a-thon. You see, this is a football forum where football and associated topics get discussed. If someone wants to moan about the BBC's sycophancy or Sky's overt fappery over the cunt this would probably be the best place to do it.

I think you'll also find, going by your row of red squares that nobody on here gives a flying one about your opinions on anything. Now fuck off.

It's just a row of red squares on an internet forum. If people want to neg me, they can neg me. If people disagree with my opinions, then so be it. If people think I'm a twat, then fair enough.

Of course I'm aware that people are moaning about the Ferguson 'wank-a-thon'. They can moan for all they are worth, but I'm entitled to voice my view that the media coverage is to be expected and it's pointless getting wound up. I'm not arsed what the media has to say about him, as I can simply avoid it.

I think you find that on a football forum such as this, people should be able to post stuff that is contrary to what you believe without you getting your knickers in a twist and telling them to fuck off.

on a football forum such as this, people should be able to post stuff that is contrary to what you believe without you getting your knickers in a twist and telling them to fuck off.

Agreed but whilst your means of voicing a contrary opinion is as eloquent as:

What did you expect, Blertz?

...then I will reserve the right to tell you to fuck off, you pointless fucking peasant.