You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First, Best, Most Surprising and Last album bought

Bjornebye

First: Queen Live Magic 86

Best: Metallica - Master Of Puppets

Surprising: Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal. Maybe in the long run I can think of something more surprising than this but it's current and sticks in my head. I'm surprised by how fucking awesome it is, I expected it to be shit.

Last: Depeche Mode - Delta Machine.

First - Alice Cooper, Billion Dollar Babies, wonderful album, still like him as well

Best - rem, Automatic for the People, the album that got me into rem, still my all time band, sad day when they split

Most Surprising - New Radicals, Maybe you've been brainwashed too, mainly cos i liked 1 track, could not believe how shit the rest of the album was, still like "you get what you give" though

Last - Metallica - the Black Album, cos my mate said i should listen to it, did and love it

Amazed at your rest of the album shite over the New Radicals. Im a Zeppelin and most rock bands music listener and that New Radicals album is something I would not normally listen to.I think it is a outstanding album.

First: Arrival - Abba (I was five)

Best: How the hell anyone can answer that, I've no idea.

Most surprising: For whom? Me? How can my own taste in music surprise me?

Last: Wolf - Tyler, The Creator & Black Mahogani - Moodymann (on Tuesday night)

First album bought - What's The Story Morning Glory

Best album bought - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum by Kasabian (Based on how much i've played it....) Would have been Definately Maybe had I not stole it off my cousin instead of buying it

Most Surprising - Plan B - Defamation Of Strickland Banks - Recommended and i'd heard one or two songs off it' date=' bought on an itunes spree and it's a brilliant album

Last Album - El Camino by the Black Keys[/quote']

How old are you mate, if you don't mind me asking? Just interested in relation to your choices.

How the hell anyone can answer that, I've no idea.

Just pick your favourite and stick it in this category. Which one LP you have stands out above the others? Nation of Millions?

No, for your great grandma. Yes, of course it's for you.

Maybe one of your favourite artists made a change in direction. Maybe something you thought would be good (The Second Coming) wasn't all that. I went with Mercury Rev because it marked a noticeable change in direction and improved them immeasurably from what had gone before, which I think is rare when a band or artist changes style. Similar rationale for Midnight Vultures; a surprise change in direction with amazingly good results.

First: Appetite For destruction, with a fiver I'd earned by going to work in my Grandma's factory on Saturday, it was just to keep her company as she did overtime really, I was eight.

Best: Cohen-Songs Of Love And Hate, quite simply astoundingly brilliant from first cord to last, a work of pure emotion, unsurpassed.

Most surprising: Skip James-Complete Recording. Picked it up for a couple of quid in Andy's Records thinking nothing other than I had a couple of quid in my pocket and it looked cool and it started an obsession with the Blues and Delta specifically.

Last: Gill Scott-Heron-Reflections, heard it at a friends and bought it instantly.

Just pick your favourite and stick it in this category. Which one LP you have stands out above the others? Nation of Millions?

No, for your great grandma. Yes, of course it's for you.

Maybe one of your favourite artists made a change in direction. Maybe something you thought would be good (The Second Coming) wasn't all that. I went with Mercury Rev because it marked a noticeable change in direction and improved them immeasurably from what had gone before, which I think is rare when a band or artist changes style. Similar rationale for Midnight Vultures; a surprise change in direction with amazingly good results.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse; I just don't have a favourite. I couldn't even get it down to ten. I buy so much new music that I rarely go back to "favourites" anyway, but ones I'd put up there because I think they're brilliant from start to finish are still too numerous to split. I couldn't even do it for reasons of associated memories or emotions because, again, there are too many. I own literally thousands of albums; picking one isn't possible for me. I'm the same with books and films, too.

And I stand by my point about surprising - how can my own taste surprise me? I have very eclectic tastes so they all make sense to me. I own records I don't like, but that's either because I bought them on spec and they weren't as good as I thought or else they were given to me.

But then again, you mean a record that wasn't what I expected. Dunno - I'll have to think about it. However, I buy records for a reason; there's usually something that's already hooked my interest so surprise seems an odd concept (unless disappointment counts).

I know what you mean but don't you think music can surprise you? My own taste is pretty narrow but I still have volume to choose from. For me, Bleach stands out above all the others; recorded for $600 and saved the band's record label from extinction. And it's a damn good LP. I always go back to favourites and am selective about what I add to my collection now.

First album bought - Green Day - American Idiot.

Best album bought - Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (just awesome).

Most Surprising - Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better (were really popular at the time and had a couple of tunes I thought were great so had high expectations for this but just thought it was shite).

Last Album - Faith No More - King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime.

First: Arrival - Abba (I was five)

Best: How the hell anyone can answer that, I've no idea.

Last: Wolf - Tyler, The Creator & Black Mahogani - Moodymann (on Tuesday night)

so you listen to a full album before you buy it? you must have been recommended or bought n album not expecting too much and been happily surprised?

1st- Prince Charming

Best- Waterpistol

Surprising- Lulu. Metallica and Lou Reed. Surprising it cost as much as £3. Shite

Last- The Messenger and SF Sorrow both on vinyl

I've blocked that out of my system - just horrible from start to finish

First: Definitely Maybe

Best: too hard to pick. At a push, I would say The Masterplan. My favourite compilation is Queen Greatest Hits II.

Most surprising: This Is The Life - Amy McDonald

Last: Jake Bugg

If that had been released not as a 'b-side' album or by any other band it would have been one of the best albums of the 90's.

Amazed at your rest of the album shite over the New Radicals. Im a Zeppelin and most rock bands music listener and that New Radicals album is something I would not normally listen to.I think it is a outstanding album

just couldnt get into it, tried a few times since i bought it, just cant get into it, still love the single though.

1st- Prince Charming

Best- Waterpistol

Surprising- Lulu. Metallica and Lou Reed. Surprising it cost as much as £3. ShiteLast- The Messenger and SF Sorrow both on vinyl

I'd forgot about that as well. Awful, awful record. I had to cover my Metallica tattoo up for months after it came out to hide the same of it after this record.

First - The River, Springsteen

Best - Blood on the Tracks, Dylan

Surprising - The Felice Brothers self titled album, blew me away first listen

Last - Bought 3 together - Hurrah For The Riff Raff / Frontier Ruckus / Caitlin Rose