You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

They are the Conservative and Unionist party, name kinda gives it away.

I get that, as I said I'd understand under May or most Tory leaders, but the current incumbent doesn't give a shit about anything so I'm sure he'd happily ruin the name of the party if it gave him a bigger majority.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

How come nobody votes Labour up there now as an alternative to the SNP?

Labour have jumped into bed with the tories multiple times over multiple issues in Scotland. They are deader than a dodo up here.

It's unfortunate but it's mostly their own doing.

I still tend to vote Labour as it goes.

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Problem is Wales and Scotland are a big source of labour votes (not Scotland any more) so we'll be stuck in Tory England - forever. It will consist of the shires and everywhere north of Bristol will look like Terminator 2.

There'll be billboards that say 'levelling up, coming soon to a town near you.' next to a betting shop and a dead homeless bloke. Actually, that sounds a lot like now.

I despair when you have former mining towns voting in tory MP's.

Fucking idiots deserve what they get - sadly the rest of us have to suffer it too.

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

He's quite funny, but I think there are people out there who believe him and want to get behind his manifesto. They usually have Twitter profiles with a Union Jack (which is a bit ironic) and Help For Heroes. 

I’m wondering how old that sketch is. I have found his stuff quite funny in the past and maybe I’m just very sensitive to that kind of derogatory language but his references to ‘the Jocks’ and ‘Jockistan’ aren’t acceptable, even, possibly even less so, in his kind of humour 

9 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’m wondering how old that sketch is. I have found his stuff quite funny in the past and maybe I’m just very sensitive to that kind of derogatory language but his references to ‘the Jocks’ and ‘Jockistan’ aren’t acceptable, even, possibly even less so, in his kind of humour 

Classic abusive relationship stuff, undermine their confidence so they are too scared to leave, but secretly the abuser is the one likely to fall apart if they split. 

51 minutes ago, Champ said:

But that is what the Pub Landlord is all about.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

But that is what the Pub Landlord is all about.

Nah, it still feels more than that to me. Swap ‘Jocks’ for other racial slurs and it’s totally unacceptable, whether in jest or otherwise 

• 3 months later...

Scottish independence is the talk of the morning on kuntsberg - who are covering the SNP conference. It really pisses me off. The country is in the shitter and all this does is create more instability. I get the idea Scotland want to vote on the idea that they're not dragged down by Westminster and the Tories, but personally I think in a union, there's more than one party in a discussion. I don't believe this is only Scotland's choice. And opinion polls up there are not in favour of a referendum now. It's all well and good that crankie woman saying "I have a mandate from the last election it was in my manifesto", but loads of stuff will be in the manifesto and I bet she hasn't delivered on all of it. She must know there is not public support for a referendum at this point. I wish she'd give it a rest. 

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Scottish independence is the talk of the morning on kuntsberg - who are covering the SNP conference. It really pisses me off. The country is in the shitter and all this does is create more instability. I get the idea Scotland want to vote on the idea that they're not dragged down by Westminster and the Tories, but personally I think in a union, there's more than one party in a discussion. I don't believe this is only Scotland's choice. And opinion polls up there are not in favour of a referendum now. It's all well and good that crankie woman saying "I have a mandate from the last election it was in my manifesto", but loads of stuff will be in the manifesto and I bet she hasn't delivered on all of it. She must know there is not public support for a referendum at this point. I wish she'd give it a rest. 

Welcome to the club.

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't believe this is only Scotland's choice.

I dunno, it's a voluntary union and if they don't want to be part of it then it's kinda just up to them. I think it's the height of stupidity for them to try to go it alone, but if that's what they want then fuck it, let them double Brexit themselves. 

Same with the Welsh. Welsh separatists are the most deluded of the bunch. Actually, no, that's Cornwall, but Wales is giving them a good fight. 

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I wish it would happen tbh, purely owing to the fact that I’m sick to fucking death of hearing about it. Let them go, Wales too if they want, get Labour in first and bring in PR. 

16 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I dunno, it's a voluntary union and if they don't want to be part of it then it's kinda just up to them. I think it's the height of stupidity for them to try to go it alone, but if that's what they want then fuck it, let them double Brexit themselves. 

Same with the Welsh. Welsh separatists are the most deluded of the bunch. Actually, no, that's Cornwall, but Wales is giving them a good fight. 

But it's not purely voluntary in realty is it? It's way more complex than that and significantly more complex than leaving the EU.

When they had the last one, I seem to remember it was deemed as it was done for a generation - that's what everyone thought going into it. It was 8 years ago. It shouldn't be on the table for another 15 years. 

And finally, as I say, there's not even demand for it from the people. The vote itself brings uncertainty and instability. And it hurts us all, not just them. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I wish it would happen tbh, purely owing to the fact that I’m sick to fucking death of hearing about it. Let them go, Wales too if the want, get Labour in first and bring in PR. 

Sounds like you need an ENP. 

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But it's not purely voluntary in realty is it? It's way more complex than that and significantly more complex than leaving the EU.

When they had the last one, I seem to remember it was deemed as it was done for a generation - that's what everyone thought going into it. It was 8 years ago. It shouldn't be on the table for another 15 years. 

And finally, as I say, there's not even demand for it from the people. The vote itself brings uncertainty and instability. And it hurts us all, not just them. 

Sounds like you need an ENP. 

The answer I normally hear to this is that the landscape has changed now since Brexit and Scotland have been dragged out of the EU against their will etc etc.

It would have been interesting if the two referendums had  been the opposite way round. Maybe/Probably a Scottish independence referendum wouldn't have been authorised if we'd voted to leave, although you'd rightly argue that that it would have been much more of a good reason to have one.

I don't think this is going to go away though unless the SNP lose lots of seats at the next election.