You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spent a bit of time with the bigwigs recently, people on millions per year and the thing I've noticed the most is that they all talk plain English. Jargon appears to be an aspirational middle management thing

Depends on the firm and industry but I the whole I agree it tends to be middle management.

Interviewed a post-grad with an MBA in Brand Strategy yesterday. Possibly the most bullshit I've ever heard in a single half hour. I think the question I asked the most was "yes, but what does that actually mean in practical terms?"

I never really got qualifications in areas such as this. 

Surely, working your way through 'brand strategy' (or marketing, I assume?) is better learnt in practice. 

For example, there's little chance you'll be able to experience a campaign or brand nose dive and test yourself on how you revive it (i.e, Spotify, Nandos etc). 

Bullshit degrees can be jibbed.

I work in a pharma multi-national for the past 6 years and last week i interviewed for a management role that i have been covering for the past 4 months due to someone transferring to a different dept. Anyway, did a bit of prep for it, had all the buzz words and when i used them during the interview you could see the directors and HR hottie creaming every time i coached mentored prioritised empowered and strategised. These people have worked with me for 4+ years and were more impressed with my ability to speak bullshit than my credentials.

Will find out later this week if an external candidate enunciated superior verbal diarrhoea than I.

I got the job yesterday. The director told me that what i had over the other applicants was the passion that i showed. I was going to ask if it was during the 1 hour interview or the past 4 years but I really didn't want to hear the answer. And to be fair to him he is easily the best boss I've had in the 13 years in my industry.

• Upvote 7

I had an interview the other day for a similar role to what I do but in a legal firm.  I did lots of research for this *shudder* competency based interview and what the company was all about etc.

I had clear, structured answers for every possible question they had about my CV, job experience etc and being a Law firm i thought I would project as professional an image as I could.

How wrong I was.  The meeting room had about 6 different sweets in bowls on the tables, Nespresso machines and wacky artwork on the walls. The people interviewing me looked like gang of vagrants in colourful ties and key-wigs and I was completely unprepared for the questions they were asking me which had nothing to do with the role I'd actually be doing. The feedback I got back was horrendous that I didn't fit the "vibe" of the firm and I was too corporate for them.

I can only imagine who they hired. 

colin-210x210.jpg

• Upvote 2

I had an interview the other day for a similar role to what I do but in a legal firm. I did lots of research for this *shudder* competency based interview and what the company was all about etc.

I had clear, structured answers for every possible question they had about my CV, job experience etc and being a Law firm i thought I would project as professional an image as I could.

How wrong I was. The meeting room had about 6 different sweets in bowls on the tables, Nespresso machines and wacky artwork on the walls. The people interviewing me looked like gang of vagrants in colourful ties and key-wigs and I was completely unprepared for the questions they were asking me which had nothing to do with the role I'd actually be doing. The feedback I got back was horrendous that I didn't fit the "vibe" of the firm and I was too corporate for them.

Posted Image

Best avoided mate. They sound like they are trying too hard

Went down to the London offices with work in 'the city' once. I was working in banking so the office culture down there was a different gravy.

There was a couple of old military boys who had got a job on the project team. We went into the meeting room and all sat down. Two of the alpha males stood through the meeting cos they wanted to be the last to sit down. They literally had a stand off. Was only and hour meeting but fuckin hell it was embarresing.

• Upvote 1

I had an interview the other day for a similar role to what I do but in a legal firm.  I did lots of research for this *shudder* competency based interview and what the company was all about etc.

How wrong I was.  The meeting room had about 6 different sweets in bowls on the tables, Nespresso machines and wacky artwork on the walls. The people interviewing me looked like gang of vagrants in colourful ties and key-wigs and I was completely unprepared for the questions they were asking me which had nothing to do with the role I'd actually be doing. The feedback I got back was horrendous that I didn't fit the "vibe" of the firm and I was too corporate for them.

colin-210x210.jpg

Rod,Jane,Freddy and Co - really are a picky bunch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Chatting to a mate over a beer a couple of nights ago and we're talking about how our respective new jobs are going.

He's home based 4 days a week and 1 day in office.

He can't claim overtime the 4 days he works from home unless he works 'remotely'.

I didn't have a fucking clue what he was going on about but it basically boils down to the fact if at 5 o'clock he leaves home and goes to a cafe, spends money on drinks and food and produces receipts for expenses he can claim overtime.

If he continues working from home he can't.

Where the fucking sense is in that I don't know.

He now goes to the posh bistro at the end of his road and has a couple of pints and gets them to do him a receipt for coffees and pastries.

I'm finally doing a job I love, and the money is just OK. Perks are decent. Compressed hours so I'm only working Monday - Thursday, and I can work one of those days a week from home. Going for a promotion though, where I'd be doing the same exact job with an extra £5k a year. Have to fight it out with the rest of them though unfortunately.

This has just appeared on my facebook feed. Its the employee of the month award for a company I worked for many years ago with a nice picture of the MD giving him a certificate - 

This month's Spotlight award goes too .... Chris ------ - Senior Design and Development, Digital Marketing. Pictured below receiving his reward by Managing Director, ----- ----------. A huge congratulations Chris! Here is what his colleagues had to say;

“Chris is in before me and leaves after everyone else. He is so hardworking and he is in work most weekends. He’s really passionate about digital Marketing which is good because he has the brains for it too. Perfect Combo.”

“He doesn’t stop until the work is done, and he always has time to explain something”

“He is a website making machine.”

“I’d like to nominate Chris -------- for the spotlight award – because of his dedication. He always works many more hours than he should but for the last few weeks before his holiday, he worked tirelessly to ensure everything was ready whilst he took a few days off.”

Spot the fucking message!

• Upvote 1