You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You're an absolute unsung hero mate, the world would be a shittier place without people like you. Dedicating large parts of your life to help others that are vulnerable and not asking for anything in return.

For what its worth, i know of one or two ex squaddies that I served with, that ended up on the streets because certain circumstances turned their world to shit.

this 100% zig, nice one mate. without people like you we would have cunts handing out 30 paracetamol instead of a bit of soup.

You'll find i was quoting what i'd said from an earlier post, well done.

Your ability to divide people based on social circumstance is amazing given how small your sub divisions of society go. Clearly your life is all hunky dory for having the time to do so. Enjoy.

PS, I've never grassed up a dealer either, despite living on a rough arse estate in Skem, am i responsible for all the substance misuse related deaths there too? Actually don't bother replying.

Really? Care to tell everyone which post that was because I can't find it?

Really? How well do you know me? Not at all is the answer.

Really? Digmoor? Tanhouse? Birch Green? New Church Farm? If you think they are rough arse estates go for a walk around Northwood in Kirkby. Where do I suggest you are responsible for all deaths from substance misuse?

Whereas you have only demonstrated your ignorance by implying that money given to the homeless will most likely be spent on smack. I run a night shelter for the homeless, which means I do assessments with homeless people every day and as I've mentioned before in the thread, in my experience less than 5% are taking drugs.

That may be how you choose to read it but the sentence that states "The fact that the drugs/alcohol you are helping them to buy will eventually kill them can be glossed over..." clearly includes alchohol which you have stated in a previous post as a more significant issue for the homeless people you deal with.

Really? Digmoor? Tanhouse? Birch Green? New Church Farm? If you think they are rough arse estates go for a walk around Northwood in Kirkby. Where do I suggest you are responsible for all deaths from substance misuse?

should have looked at the tits.

Oppsie, seems i was paraphrasing and I didn't say that, I've used that term allot this last month on a shit loads of essays, I apologise. I forgot how massively pedantic some cunts can be on here whilst i've been off line.

Do i know you? It's a forum, people could be anyone. Do i give a shit about your circumstances - if i'm honest not really. Would i see you struggle if it was within my ability to help, no i wouldn't. Even though i don't know you. I guess that's the difference between us.

Nope, no intention of walking around Northwood, is that where the big bad bullies are? Its been a while since i lived in the North West.

The fact that the drugs/alcohol you are helping them to buy will eventually kill them

You'll have to tell me what you're implying here because again it seems i got the wrong end of the stick. I assumed if i'm helping someone to buy substances that will kill them i am in someway responsible for their death.

That may be how you choose to read it but the sentence that states "The fact that the drugs/alcohol you are helping them to buy will eventually kill them can be glossed over..." clearly includes alchohol which you have stated in a previous post as a more significant issue for the homeless people you deal with.

So do you think someone drinking a couple of tins to innure themselves from the cold is going to die from alcohol abuse? And even if they are at risk because of their alcohol consumption, do you think that because someone has nowhere to live they should not be entitled to make their own choices with drink, same as you or me? I'd say that at the very least you're making a huge exaggeration, but you make your own choices about what to do with the price of your bag of chips mate.

Oppsie, seems i was paraphrasing and I didn't say that, I've used that term allot this last month on a shit loads of essays, I apologise. I forgot how massively pedantic some cunts can be on here whilst i've been off line.

Do i know you? It's a forum, people could be anyone. Do i give a shit about your circumstances - if i'm honest not really. Would i see you struggle if it was within my ability to help, no i wouldn't. Even though i don't know you. I guess that's the difference between us.

Nope, no intention of walking around Northwood, is that where the big bad bullies are? Its been a while since i lived in the North West.

You'll have to tell me what you're implying here because again it seems i got the wrong end of the stick. I assumed if i'm helping someone to buy substances that will kill them i am in someway responsible for their death.

Apology accepted.

So do you think someone drinking a couple of tins to innure themselves from the cold is going to die from alcohol abuse? And even if they are at risk because of their alcohol consumption, do you think that because someone has nowhere to live they should not be entitled to make their own choices with drink, same as you or me? I'd say that at the very least you're making a huge exaggeration, but you make your own choices about what to do with the price of your bag of chips mate.

They are considerably more likely to die from hypothermia. The alcohol will dilate blood vessels causing the flow of blood nearer the surface of the skin to increase resulting in decreased core body temperature. I'm sure many more would do exactly that if not for the shelters and services you provide/work in. But as you state - that is their choice and one that they are free to make. I don't have a problem with that but I just don't want to play any part in the process. I can't see the logic in saying that because I only gave him enough for one can of White Lightning my culpability is so small it doesn't count.

There are more destitute and rougher areas than Northwood. Kensington being one example.

You may well be right as I don't know Kensington too well - I've only been to Harrods once in my life:smile:.

Seriously though, I'm sure there are plenty of other areas around the city as bad or worse than Northwood. What I do know is that there isn't anything in Skem that comes anywhere near Northwood.

I can't see the logic in saying that because I only gave him enough for one can of White Lightning my culpability is so small it doesn't count.

Don't worry your pretty little heart sweetie, I'm sure you're not responsible for the so called genuine ones (whom you have not given money too) dying from hypothermia either. x

They are considerably more likely to die from hypothermia. The alcohol will dilate blood vessels causing the flow of blood nearer the surface of the skin to increase resulting in decreased core body temperature. I'm sure many more would do exactly that if not for the shelters and services you provide/work in. But as you state - that is their choice and one that they are free to make. I don't have a problem with that but I just don't want to play any part in the process. I can't see the logic in saying that because I only gave him enough for one can of White Lightning my culpability is so small it doesn't count.

Culpability is a complex beast. I don't think giving someone a pound puts you top of the list of whose fault it would be if they were to subsequently die of hypothermia. For starters, it would mean they were inadequately protected from the cold in the first place, and the alcohol would be a very minor factor in that case.

Without reading back, I think your original point was to give the money to a charity which helps with the homeless, and I can certainly get behind that, but I wouldn't personally discourage anyone from giving money directly to someone just because they might have a drink instead of something to eat.

I also think it's very easy to label homeless people as smackheads or alcoholics and use that as an excuse to walk on by. Not that I am accusing you of this at all. You seem to have thought your position through.

I can't help but to see those I work with as people first though. People with significant problems obviously, but no less right to self-determination.

Just thought I'd ask as I work for a homeless charity in the North East.

Good for you mate. I won't say exactly who I work for because they probably wouldn't want to be connected with all my posting history on here!

Don't worry your pretty little heart sweetie, I'm sure you're not responsible for the so called genuine ones (whom you have not given money too) dying from hypothermia either. x

Sarcasm clearly isn't your forte.

I'd stick to sanctimony and self-righteousness - much more your style.

Anyway, what sort of cheese do you put on top of your vegetable soup?

Sarcasm clearly isn't your forte.

I'd stick to sanctimony and self-righteousness - much more your style.

Anyway, what sort of cheese do you put on top of your vegetable soup?

Arse, it works with the kids.

I like a crumbly lancashire but always end up with a mature cheddar as that's all that's in the fridge, the second a moreish cheese comes into the house I know I'll eat the lot before anyone else gets a look in.