You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kirkland attack on pitch by leeds fan!

Guest San Don

A bit more detail in this report:

BBC News - Chris Kirkland attack: Aaron Cawley jailed for pitch assault

Chris Kirkland attack: Aaron Cawley jailed for pitch assault

A man has been jailed for running on to the pitch and attacking a goalkeeper during a Championship football match.

Sheffield Wednesday's Chris Kirkland, 31, required treatment after being struck in the face during Friday's game against Leeds United at Hillsborough.

Leeds fan Aaron Cawley, 21, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates' Court to assault and entering the field.

He was given a 16-week jail sentence and a five-year football banning order.

Leeds United has said the club intends to ban him from its Elland Road stadium for life.

Kirkland, who has played once for England, was shoved in the face and fell to the ground moments after conceding an equaliser in the 76th minute of the match at Hillsborough, which finished in a 1-1 draw.

The court heard Cawley had been drinking heavily and had already breached two previous banning orders.

Prosecutor Paul Macauley said Cawley told police he had drunk a number of cans of lager and three-quarters of a litre of vodka before arriving in Sheffield and then had a further seven to 10 pints of cider.

Mr Macauley said he was "so drunk" he did not remember what happened, and only realised after seeing the footage.

District Judge Redhouse heard that Cawley emailed the police to say sorry and also emailed Sky Sports, who broadcast the match, in the hope his apology would be passed on to the two clubs and Kirkland.

A spokesman for Leeds United said: "We are pleased to see the matter dealt with by the courts so quickly.

"The club will also ban the individual for life from Elland Road when this banning order expires.

"While we are pleased to see justice brought so quickly, our one disappointment is that we feel the sentence could, and should, have been considerably longer."

Writing on Twitter, Angela Smith, the Labour MP for Penistone and Stockbridge, also criticised the sentence.

The MP, a Sheffield Wednesday fan, wrote: "16wks prison sentence for assaulting a goalkeeper & breaching a banning order? I am quite frankly astonished! #justicenotdone."

Never mind 16 weeks in prison, putting him on some sort of programme that keeps him off the alcohol might be more beneficial, otherwise once he gets out, he will probably just be the sort of pisshead who starts fights in the city centre of an evening. I don't drink even half the amount of alcohol in one MONTH that he had in just one day! And even then, my choices would not include cans of lager, bottles of vodka or pints of cider.

A bit more detail in this report:

BBC News - Chris Kirkland attack: Aaron Cawley jailed for pitch assault

Never mind 16 weeks in prison, putting him on some sort of programme that keeps him off the alcohol might be more beneficial, otherwise once he gets out, he will probably just be the sort of pisshead who starts fights in the city centre of an evening. I don't drink even half the amount of alcohol in one MONTH that he had in just one day! And even then, my choices would not include cans of lager, bottles of vodka or pints of cider.

That report beggars belief and makes a mockery of football.

Chris Kirkland played for England.

I have some sympathy with that Leeds mong, I felt like fucking slapping Kirkland plenty of times when he played for us, the useless twat.

The way he fell was also very familiar to anyone whoe ever watched him diving to try ( and usually failing) to save a shot

One of the worst goalkeepers to ever play for Liverpool

Absolute nonsense. Are you sure you even know who Kirkland is?

He was a half decent keeper who was strangely signed for a decent some of money at the same time we signed a new first choice keeper. When he was called upon he usually played well and to the point I can't remember one howler or mistake of importance he made.

His problem was that he was massively injury prone. His career failed because of that not because he was a bad keeper.

Absolute nonsense. Are you sure you even know who Kirkland is?

He was a half decent keeper who was strangely signed for a decent some of money at the same time we signed a new first choice keeper. When he was called upon he usually played well and to the point I can't remember one howler or mistake of importance he made.

His problem was that he was massively injury prone. His career failed because of that not because he was a bad keeper.

He couldn't kick, had the worst shot-to-save ratio of any keeper when he got a run in the team, and when he dived it was like watching a tree fall over. In slow motion.

He was utter fucking shit, and his injuries were the best thing about him, because it meant he didn't play much.

That fucking derby game when Lee Carsley agaisnt him sums up Kirkland as a keeper.

He couldn't kick, had the worst shot-to-save ratio of any keeper when he got a run in the team, and when he dived it was like watching a tree fall over. In slow motion.

He was utter fucking shit, and his injuries were the best thing about him, because it meant he didn't play much.

That fucking derby game when Lee Carsley agaisnt him sums up Kirkland as a keeper.

Hahaha are you for fucking real?

I bet you have just sat through videos for 10 minutes looking for a mistake and that's the best you can come up with. He's completely unsighted in that and is unlucky but go on you can have that one. James, Westerveld, Friedel and Dudek all made plenty of ACTUAL howlers on plenty of occasions and they are keepers that have played regulary never mind some of the other jokers we have had on the bench over the years.

Where's your evidence of this goal to shot ratio? I'd like to see where Dudek came on that list at a similar time. We didn't concede very many shots because we were such a negative team back then so naturally that ratio goes up. We literally played 4 centre halves and 4 centre midfielders in two banks of four every game and had the best defence for a number of seasons.

Kirkland didn't make it because he was injury prone. If you are going to be successful then by and large you need the keeper to be playing nearly every game of the season. All the successful clubs over the years have had keepers that can do this. Kirkland couldn't and it cost him. He was never a bad keeper.

Hahaha are you for fucking real?

I bet you have just sat through videos for 10 minutes looking for a mistake and that's the best you can come up with. He's completely unsighted in that and is unlucky but go on you can have that one. James, Westerveld, Friedel and Dudek all made plenty of ACTUAL howlers on plenty of occasions and they are keepers that have played regulary never mind some of the other jokers we have had on the bench over the years.

Where's your evidence of this goal to shot ratio? I'd like to see where Dudek came on that list at a similar time. We didn't concede very many shots because we were such a negative team back then so naturally that ratio goes up. We literally played 4 centre halves and 4 centre midfielders in two banks of four every game and had the best defence for a number of seasons.

Kirkland didn't make it because he was injury prone. If you are going to be successful then by and large you need the keeper to be playing nearly every game of the season. All the successful clubs over the years have had keepers that can do this. Kirkland couldn't and it cost him. He was never a bad keeper.

Injuries haven't affected his consistency. Kirkland is very consistent.

He's got the worst shot to save ratio in the Championship this year for Wednesday, 41%, which is actually down from the 50% shot to save ratio he had aged 23 playing for Liverpool, when he also had the worst shot-to-save ratio in the division.

(Opta stats)

Player Club Saves to Shots Ratio

1 Cech Chelsea 83.3%

2 Kiraly Crystal Palace 82.9%

3 Carroll Manchester United 80.0%

4 Taylor Birmingham City 78.4%

5 Sorensen Aston Villa 78.3%

6 James Manchester City 77.6%

7 Dudek Liverpool 75.0%

8 Hislop Portsmouth 75.0%

9 Martyn Everton 74.4%

10 Niemi Southampton 72.0%

11 Green Norwich City 71.2%

12 Schwarzer Middlesbrough 69.8%

13 Jaaskelainen Bolton Wanderers 69.8%

14 Speroni Crystal Palace 69.0%

15 Friedel Blackburn Rovers 64.9%

16 Robinson Tottenham Hotspur 64.4%

17 Van der Sar Fulham 64.2%

18 Kiely Charlton Athletic 63.8%

19 Lehmann Arsenal 63.0%

20 Given Newcastle United 62.1%

21 Hoult West Bromwich Albion 60.3%

22 Howard Manchester United 58.3%

23 Kirkland Liverpool 50.0%

Now fuck off.

Guest davelfc

He won't even spend a few weeks inside, more likely be tagged and out pretty quickly.

However he'll always carry that stigma of being a leeds fan.

Injuries haven't affected his consistency. Kirkland is very consistent.

He's got the worst shot to save ratio in the Championship this year for Wednesday, 41%, which is actually down from the 50% shot to save ratio he had aged 23 playing for Liverpool, when he also had the worst shot-to-save ratio in the division.

(Opta stats)

Player Club Saves to Shots Ratio

1 Cech Chelsea 83.3%

2 Kiraly Crystal Palace 82.9%

3 Carroll Manchester United 80.0%

4 Taylor Birmingham City 78.4%

5 Sorensen Aston Villa 78.3%

6 James Manchester City 77.6%

7 Dudek Liverpool 75.0%

8 Hislop Portsmouth 75.0%

9 Martyn Everton 74.4%

10 Niemi Southampton 72.0%

11 Green Norwich City 71.2%

12 Schwarzer Middlesbrough 69.8%

13 Jaaskelainen Bolton Wanderers 69.8%

14 Speroni Crystal Palace 69.0%

15 Friedel Blackburn Rovers 64.9%

16 Robinson Tottenham Hotspur 64.4%

17 Van der Sar Fulham 64.2%

18 Kiely Charlton Athletic 63.8%

19 Lehmann Arsenal 63.0%

20 Given Newcastle United 62.1%

21 Hoult West Bromwich Albion 60.3%

22 Howard Manchester United 58.3%

23 Kirkland Liverpool 50.0%

Now fuck off.

Will you be back on here in a few years saying Suarez is the shittest forward we've ever had because he's had the worst goals to shot ratio of any forward we've ever had? You probably will because you are one thick cunt.

You're selective stat means fuck all for a start because you still have offered no evidence. Just a list with Opta written at the top of it.

Here is some stats I found

(Opta)

Bestest Keeper in the whole wide world - Chris Kirkland 100%

(EASPORTS)

Knows fuck all about football - Silver Lining 100%

(The Guest)

Has either written a load of players names with a made up % next to them putting Kirkland at the bottom or found one solitary stat to back up an argument but do not want to reveal the link because this also contains stats which show this stat up to be bollocks - Silver Lining 100%

Never mind the fact that this stat doesn't take into account the fact he didn't play that many games consecutively in any season he was here. It doesn't take into account the teams that he played against or how good those shots were or weren't. You know this about stats of course and will have probably argued this when it suited you.

You haven't found me one shot yet that he should have saved never mind various ones to make him be the keeper you are making him out to be.

He was a half decent keeper ruined by injuries.

:drool:

I thought Kirkland was alright for us, certainly better than Dudek after Dudek's brilliant debut season but Kirklands last few games for us before the last injury he let in a few he should've saved like against Everton and Olympiakos and then he has been pretty average ever since he left us

Apart from the bit about vile chants relating to paedophilia being a form of racism.

What's any of this got to do with Arsene Wenger?

Wenger mentioned the vile chants that go repeatedly unnoticed and unreported.

Just noticed your reply. I wasn't being serious; I was just connecting paedophilia and Wenger for some (ahem) childish reason...

Oh and Kirkland was fuckin shite, I remember a period when everything that hit target went in, as one poster somewhere said, I look forward to read Kirklands book, especially the chapter "The month I did not move".

And when it comes to vile chants, I dont really notice these things, but the Steven Taylor, we wish you were dead chants at the weekend was a bit embarrassing from the Sunderland faithful's.

Kirkland was a young keeper with a lot of talent, widely regarded as a probable future no. 1 for England. Maybe it was his injuries, I don't know, but his progression stopped and he never reached the level we thoght he would.

Was never really bad for us. Did OK but nothing special. I've got nothing against the lad. Not seen him play in the lower leagues, so have no opinion of his level now.

I don't think many Liverpool fans would brand him our worst ever goalie.

I don't think many Liverpool fans would brand him our worst ever goalie.

Going back to Clemence days I'd say its either Kirkland or Carson, but Carson did not really play enough to be considered anything else than a reserve keeper so I'm unsure if I would include him even if he was chosen ahead of Dudek in a few games.

• Upvote 1