You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul Lambert to Villa then

A good prospect who would have been an interesting proposition here. I expect him to do well with a significant improvement on the previous years performance at Villa . He outscored Kenny, with Holt at £400,000 scoring as many as Carroll and Suarez combined, at £58m.

Martinez has ultimately chickened out unless he moves to West Brom. It will be fascinating to see what the view is on Martinez, Lambert and Rodgers 12 months from now.

Edited by xerxes

He'll do ok at Villa.

Absolutely dire at present, but with a bit of spending he'll sort 'em out.

The fans were dead against McLeish, but they'll give Lambert a bit more time I think.

Probably the biggest club he could hope to move to unless something cropped up at Spurs or Everton or West Ham.

Clearly not afraid of a challenge is he? ;-)

Villa is one of those clubs that could come from out of nowhere and be a real force in this league, IF they find the right manager.

I wonder how much of what Lambert is doing is a reaction to seeing Brendan Rogers get all these plaudits and get the big move? I'd be annoyed if I was Lambert too, having done the same job as Rodgers and not getting any attention. They got the same points at Swansea and scored more goals. He finished ahead of Martinez, ahead of Pulis, ahead of O Neill, ahead of Hughes, ahead of Coyle, and yet he wasnt even in the frame for our job. Whoever overlooked him made a shocking decision.

That Norwich team, in the Championship, were brilliant to watch.

I like him a lot, probably seems the right sort of career move, they can spend 2 or 3 times what Norwich can do on wages. I'm sure he will get them into as a top 6/8 team.

The Villa fans in the last game of the season were shouting Lambert for Villa, so they will be well happy if he gets appointed.

Villa aren't as bad as McLeish's reign would suggest. If he can replicate what he did at Norwich they'll do ok. I'd have had more sypathy for Norwich if it wasn't for the fact he did the same to Colchester City to join them, and Norwich didn't seem to have a problem with it then.

Martinez must be gutted first he misses out with us then Villa ignore him (after they offered him the job last summer) i can see next season being tougher on him than normal he deffo wanted out of wigan now he looks like he will be stuck there,would Whelan sack him if they finished bottom 3 ? after all the hype he spouted about him.

Villa is one of those clubs that could come from out of nowhere and be a real force in this league, IF they find the right manager.

I wonder how much of what Lambert is doing is a reaction to seeing Brendan Rogers get all these plaudits and get the big move? I'd be annoyed if I was Lambert too, having done the same job as Rodgers and not getting any attention. They got the same points at Swansea and scored more goals. He finished ahead of Martinez, ahead of Pulis, ahead of O Neill, ahead of Hughes, ahead of Coyle, and yet he wasnt even in the frame for our job. Whoever overlooked him made a shocking decision.

That Norwich team, in the Championship, were brilliant to watch.

Interesting that - you might be onto something, although the speculation about Villa was ongoing prior to anybody knowing the Liverpool manager of course, and we don't know what's going on at Norwich either - they might be tightening the budget, whilst he wants to 'move them forward again'.

Also, the other guys had multiple clubs (albeit 2) where they'd done notably well instead of just the one, but I'd say he looks to be on a par with them at least, so would have been worthy of being in the same mix with them.

There's a bit of fire about him too which I like. Having a bit of a go at the reporters (rightly) for asking questions at a testimonial.

Villa fans seem to be all in favour of his appointment. Goes to show how their expectations are well and truly a mile off Liverpool's these days. Seems Liverpool fans are 'we'll support him and wait and see' about Rodgers whereas Villa are in a much more 'Thank God you've come to liberate us!' mode.

If Villa aren't careful, they'll could be the next club to go the same way as City and Leeds etc and plummet.

Martinez must be gutted first he misses out with us then Villa ignore him (after they offered him the job last summer) i can see next season being tougher on him than normal he deffo wanted out of wigan now he looks like he will be stuck there,would Whelan sack him if they finished bottom 3 ? after all the hype he spouted about him.

Totally agree.

The fans won't feel quite the same way about him now, and Whelan's done nothing to encourage other clubs to talk to him... since everything that's said gets back to Whelan (or Whelan just makes it up) - either way, not attractive.

I'm surprised Martinez hasn't resigned.

Was lstening to radio on way home, dave whelan had been on. He stared that not only did Martinez hold talks with Liverpool but Villa aswell. He decided against it and stayed at wigan.

Martinez has turned villa down twice now it would seem. Granted, Villa finished below Wigan this year but Wigan is much more likely to be battling relegation again for a third time. Why does he continue to stay at Wigan when Villa can give him money and a decent squad of players to work with? I'd jump at the Villa position, and it looks like that's exactly what Lambert is doing,

Martinez has turned villa down twice now it would seem. Granted, Villa finished below Wigan this year but Wigan is much more likely to be battling relegation again for a third time. Why does he continue to stay at Wigan when Villa can give him money and a decent squad of players to work with? I'd jump at the Villa position, and it looks like that's exactly what Lambert is doing,

Villa are a mess, squad getting weaker every year and no funds to strengthen, won't be long before they go down unless something changes they remind me a lot of Boro just before they went down with a squad full of good but not ready youth products and journeymen, whilst I do think the Wigan job gets harder every year the manager who takes them down will have much less a reputation hit than the one that takes Villa down

I think this last season for Villa was an anomaly. They had been regular Europa league contenders or thereabouts. Then McLeish happened and every single fan was against the appointment, for good reason in my opinion. I had Villa at 33:1 to go down based on him. But for Bolton, I think they may have. Lambert is a good coach I think. He has managed to drag Norwich through two divisions, so the players must have some belief in him. I don't think we'll see Villa in the relegation zone again under Lambert.