You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

One half good season in the top flight

Great.

But they played nice football...

Personally, I want winning football.

If we were going to take a punt on an unproven manager, it should have been Lambert. Good playing experience, plays good football, and has just got successive promotions.

One thing i have learned in my 40 years of watching football, is that when it comes down to choosing between winning, or playing beautiful footie and losing, everybody will choose winning. They might not want to admit it, but deep down they know its true.

One of the things that stands out from swansea and rogers last season was after the utd game (i think). Think it was rangel and vorm who tried to play the ball out of defense and fucked up, utd went onto score from this mistake and won the game by the 1 goal.

Rogers after the game said its not rangels or vorms fault, it was his fault. This is because he wants his players to play the ball out of defense and sometimes there will be mistakes.

Would this mean Carroll will have to rethink his game completely or can we still get the best out of him using the type of football rogers plays?

I'd back Rogers, and be quietly happy about his appointment. I'd back Martinez, but I’d be gutted, and just sat waiting for the inevitable car crash to happen.

I don’t mind Rogers, but it’s does go tits up when he tries to play football with players who aren’t capable – look at his Reading spell.

Do you mean Rogers or Martinez?

With Rogers you can see something though, he's get an aura, you know that he demands 100%from players, and he also wnts them to think.

People were full of superlatives and praise for Owen Coyle 18 months ago and look where he is now. Swansea played some nice football yes, but they finished 11th. Not bad for the first season eh? Well Norwich finished 12th on the same points as them and they came up as well. He could well be a winner, could Rodgers, he might also be a one-season-wonder who's players are buoyed by their first season in the big time.

I'm not too keen on Bobby Martinez either. We'd have a good last 8 games though

One thing i have learned in my 40 years of watching football, is that when it comes down to choosing between winning, or playing beautiful footie and losing, everybody will choose winning. They might not want to admit it, but deep down they know its true.

As far as I can recall, consistently successful teams have played 'beautiful' ish football on most occasions. Sometimes it may be necessary to play ugly, to smother teams, to grind out a 1-0 win, but playing kick and run long ball shite will never be the hallmark of a great team. It can bring mid table survival and surprise upsets, and even a good cup run, but it soon gets sussed, and it certainly won't win the league.

People were full of superlatives and praise for Owen Coyle 18 months ago and look where he is now. Swansea played some nice football yes, but they finished 11th. Not bad for the first season eh? Well Norwich finished 12th on the same points as them and they came up as well. He could well be a winner, could Rodgers, he might also be a one-season-wonder who's players are buoyed by their first season in the big time.

I'm not too keen on Bobby Martinez either. We'd have a good last 8 games though

Its got to the stage now where im not bothered,its been a total fuck up shows how small time our owners are,god help us cause i carnt see nothing but epic fail with this new structure.This will set us back years again

One of the things that stands out from swansea and rogers last season was after the utd game (i think). Think it was rangel and vorm who tried to play the ball out of defense and fucked up, utd went onto score from this mistake and won the game by the 1 goal.

Rogers after the game said its not rangels or vorms fault, it was his fault. This is because he wants his players to play the ball out of defense and sometimes there will be mistakes.

Would this mean Carroll will have to rethink his game completely or can we still get the best out of him using the type of football rogers plays?

They were getting criticised for not booting the ball into touch. He said why should Rangel have booted it into touch or down the line when he had time on the ball. Rodgers is correct. His mistake was a bad pass, not refusing to launch it.

As far as I can recall, consistently successful teams have played 'beautiful' ish football on most occasions. Sometimes it may be necessary to play ugly, to smother teams, to grind out a 1-0 win, but playing kick and run long ball shite will never be the hallmark of a great team. It can bring mid table survival and surprise upsets, and even a good cup run, but it soon gets sussed, and it certainly won't win the league.

Arsenal under George graham and Leeds under Howard wikinson was pretty dire.

Guest San Don

Dont have a problem with our next manager not being a big name. We've never gone down that route before even with Benitez.

But, I do expect him to have at least won something of note, managed in Europe and not spent his whole career battling relegation or thinking bottom half of the table is acceptable.

Dont have a problem with our next manager not being a big name. We've never gone down that route before even with Benitez.

But, I do expect him to have at least won something of note, managed in Europe and not spent his whole career battling relegation or thinking bottom half of the table is acceptable.

Does that really make sense? You don't mind if it's not a big name but he must have won something and managed in Europe? Give me an example of the type of manager you mean.