You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What do people think of the Mohamed Diame link, I think he'd be useful back up, better than spearing.

Not overly enthused. That said, I'll wait for any serious links this summer. We'll be linked with loads and only bring a small selection of those in.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
@SkySportsMobile

Jermain Defoe admits that he asked to leave Tottenham in January and that a loan to Liverpool was a real possibility #LFC #THFC

Loan is fine, but he;s gettin' on now and would cost a fair bit. Not all that great either. Good patches here and there convince people he's amazing.

I hate who we get linked with at this time of the year, although last year it all came true. A nice surprise package would be nice, I suppose Henderson was not mentioned much but all the rest were.

I want two signings and maybe a nice loan deal. We get them right and we would be going in the right direction.

Three players needed in my opinion:

Goalscorer

Winger

Midfielder

I expect to see Maxi, Kuyt and Aurelio go, and of the new signings last summer I'd like Adam to move on and be replaced by a better midfielder. Downing may be hard to shift and if that is the case he should stay, though I hope we sign a better winger this summer. Carroll's upturn in form is encouraging, but we still need more up front and a reliable goalscorer should be sought. The defence is fine.

I hate who we get linked with at this time of the year, although last year it all came true. A nice surprise package would be nice, I suppose Henderson was not mentioned much but all the rest were.

I want two signings and maybe a nice loan deal. We get them right and we would be going in the right direction.

Coates was a curveball as well. In fact, Bellamy wasn't until pretty late in the day either

He can't even get in the Wigan team.

In fairness to Diame, I think his ommission was mainly due to a perceived "lack of commitment to the cause" as a result of his refusal to sign a new contract. With Wigan in such a precarious position Martinez turned to the players he felt were most likely to give their all to preserve the club's top flight status. He perhaps felt he couldn't be guaranteed that with Diame as he appeared to be off in the Summer anyway.

I am not sure how closely people have watched Diame but he is an absolute powerhouse, likes a tackle, has some measure of skill and can pass a ball so we could do far worse in terms of a backup defensive midfielder on relatively modest wages. Here is the obligatory youtube clip:-

[YOUTUBE]eD8_ktkuoDI&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

Erm...have you all forgotten?

We need nearly a completely new midfield.

Gerrard. Getting on. Not his forte anyway.

Lucas. Who knows?

Adam. Sorry.

Henderson. Doubt it.

Spearing. Nope.

Downing. Haha.

Shelvey. Well I really hope so.

Left as it is, we won't be anywhere near the top 4.

I think Lucas, Shelvey and Henderson is a decent trio. I know that's two youngsters so I would add one more midfielder, an accomplished midfielder, and we will have a good quartet. Leave the defence alone. Add a winger and a goalscorer, and I think we will be OK next season, provided the application is right and the team is set up with a good balance.

I think Lucas, Shelvey and Henderson is a decent trio. I know that's two youngsters so I would add one more midfielder, an accomplished midfielder, and we will have a good quartet. Leave the defence alone. Add a winger and a goalscorer, and I think we will be OK next season, provided the application is right and the team is set up with a good balance.

In two years, that will be an impressive trio to have.

We need someone in for these next two years while Shelvey and Henderson mature.

Diame has been good in the past. I'd say he's a marginally better option than Spearing and would be worth a look if money is tight. Centre mid is not a priority position for me.

I can see where you are coming from, but I think centre midfield is a position where we are very weak. I agree with whoever said that in two years Lucas, Shelvey and Henderson will be a good trio, but I feel for next season and going forward, we badly need a centre midfielder who can really control a game, much like what Alonso used to do. Even in two years time I don't see either Henderson or Shelvey being this type of player, they are more in the Gerrard mould, good at bursting forward and getting goals but not being able to control a game from midfield. I think Lucas will be a big addition to the team next season if he comes back strong.

We also badly need to sign a striker who can bring some consistency and a wide player who has a bit of pace and technical ability. Fingers crossed.

If Carroll could maintain his recent form, it makes Kenny's spending look a hell of a lot better all of a sudden...

Suarez - unbelievable success

Enrique - qualified success (until recent weeks excellent)

Henderson - most seem to think he's one for the future

Downing - A lot to prove, currently a failure

Carroll - Potential monster, need to find consistency

It don't looks so awful all of a sudden