You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Guest San Don

Dont know if anyone's seen this but nixon of the daily manc says the King stays but will have to find players for cheap or on bosmans!

Kenny Dalglish staying as Liverpool manager but with vastly reduced budget for signings - Mirror Online

Liverpool are ready to let Kenny Dalglish carry on as manager - but with a vastly-reduced budget for signings.

The Kop chief spent £108million on just six players, including Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson, in 2011.

But it has been made clear to him that those days are over and he has now started to seek bargain signings instead - including free agents.

Dalglish delivered the Carling Cup in February and got to the FA Cup Final but failed to qualify for the Champions League, despite that huge outlay.

The club's American owners, Fenway Sports Group, have decided to rein in the huge spending - a move which could actually benefit Dalglish, who is now more likely to give some of last year’s big-name signings a second crack at proving themselves rather than sign replacements.

Doesn't understand how 19 and 17 is good but 15 and 15 isn't much to shout about, mate?

I mean, we get this line of thinking about Holland, too. You rarely here 'yeah, but Ruud van Nistelrooy scored in Holland'. Nobody really mentions Robben, or Kluivert, or Stam, or Bergkamp, or any of the many players who made it. It's always 'well, Dirk Kuyt' or 'Means nothing because Kalou...'. People said that about the Suarez signing too. He's doing ok. Then there's all the Carroll goals in this league.

We just have to look at their talent, I guess. I actually think I'd prefer him to Hazard. I think he'll do better here.

The dutch league is more competitive & they (dutch teams) often fair much better in European competition than teams from the Juniper League.

I will say that there has been a significant upturn in Belgian youth development in recent years. If they get the balance right they will have an excellent side in the next 2-8 years.

As for Suarez over Hazard. That's just nonsense talk. We haven't a hope in hell of signing Hazard (he's off to City) but he would transform our team & would easily, yes easily be our best player. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't mature & develop into the type of player Cristiano Ronaldo is now, or at least the level he was playing when he left the mancs.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

A trophy every season, some would happily take that on here.

If, and it's a big if, we are limited to freebies, shit will fly towards the owners. I can't for a moment believe Kenny, who has repeatedly stated there's money there and the backing is there, won't be given at least the money we earn.

Guest San Don
A trophy every season, some would happily take that on here.

If, and it's a big if, we are limited to freebies, shit will fly towards the owners. I can't for a moment believe Kenny, who has repeatedly stated there's money there and the backing is there, won't be given at least the money we earn.

The article, even if correct, doesnt say we will be limited to bosmans.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

th

The dutch league is more competitive & they (dutch teams) often fair much better in European competition than teams from the Juniper League.

I will say that there has been a significant upturn in Belgian youth development in recent years. If they get the balance right they will have an excellent side in the next 2-8 years.

As for Suarez over Hazard. That's just nonsense talk. We haven't a hope in hell of signing Hazard (he's off to City) but he would transform our team & would easily, yes easily be our best player. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't mature & develop into the type of player Cristiano Ronaldo is now, or at least the level he was playing when he left the mancs.

I think Hazard is good, I was calling for us to get him many moons ago, but I think Suarez is capable of the same things little Luis is, but he's taller and stronger. Made for this league. Just my opinion.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, freebies and bargains. Great distinction. As I said, though, I can't see him not getting money if he is staying.

If FSG do as we suspect they might - no significant investment, no new stadium, cost-cutting, 'make do', then I fully expect Kenny Out/ FSG out sentiments by the end of what will be a very shit next season.

We need at least four good new players and anothe 100m

We all know it. If the Yanks don't want real success, they can fuck off back to their beloved Rounders and Hotdogs

All paper talk for now in terms of how much we have to spend. Hopefully its just a case of playing down expectations and trying not to get fleeced.

Either way, whether we spend (hopefully 30 odd million) or scrounge around for some cheap signings, it'll be an interesting season ahead.

If it doesn't go well someone will be getting flak. Be it Kenny if we spend decent money or the Owner's if we don't.

If FSG do as we suspect they might - no significant investment, no new stadium, cost-cutting, 'make do', then I fully expect Kenny Out/ FSG out sentiments by the end of what will be a very shit next season.

We need at least four good new players and anothe 100m

We all know it. If the Yanks don't want real success, they can fuck off back to their beloved Rounders and Hotdogs

There's no way we'll only be signing bosmans, but I doubt we will be spending more than £20-£30 million. Hoilett on a free would be a good option. We might get Susaeta for £10 million or less. Martinez would probably be about £6 million. People are always looking for us to sign good players before they become expensive, household names. Well, now is the time to do that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
There's no way we'll only be signing bosmans, but I doubt we will be spending more than £20-£30 million. Hoilett on a free would be a good option. We might get Susaeta for £10 million or less. Martinez would probably be about £6 million. People are always looking for us to sign good players before they become expensive, household names. Well, now is the time to do that.

18 months ago was the time to do that.

If that's true we are quadraspazzed as a team and can forget the top 4

Still, as long as we successfully defend our magnificent Carling Cup trophy, mongs all over the interspaz can claim we have had another great season

This.

If its true its the worst possible of outcomes.

No money.

No vision.

Sorry for thinking this.

Guest TK-421

I concur. I can see this team becoming quite successful with only one or two minor adjustments. A clinical goalscorer, a dash of flair and a bit of competition/cover for Lucas should be all it takes.

It will be difficult to find the right players at the right prices but as Newcastle have shown it can be done.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
But that doesn't mean we can't wise up now.

Well, buying poorly has made it important to get the right players in this summer. We need good money available to do that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I concur. I can see this team becoming quite successful with only one or two minor adjustments. A clinical goalscorer, a dash of flair and a bit of competition/cover for Lucas should be all it takes.

It will be difficult to find the right players at the right prices but as Newcastle have shown it can be done.

Whilst I admire your wild optimism, you're just not living in the real world. It'll take much more than 2 or 3 signings to fix this squad.

the team needs more investment bosmans and other players that will be unknown gambles

will not guarantee 4th the chavs mancs and arsenal will get stronger. hope it,s paper talk and they get there hands in the pockets otherwise whats the point we will just be battaling with mighty everton and fulham for 7th place every year next year should be a gauge of how much they want to return the club to the top.otherwise step aside and let someone who will.

Guest TK-421
Whilst I admire your wild optimism, you're just not living in the real world. It'll take much more than 2 or 3 signings to fix this squad.

Hey, guess what? I have a different opinion.

Well, buying poorly has made it important to get the right players in this summer. We need good money available to do that.

Well it all depends I suppose.

30 million if spent properly could be more than effective than 100 million spent stupidly.

It's becoming a cliche at this point to say it, but Newcastle last summer proved what good scouting and negotiating can do.

I don't think we'll see the dizzy heights of last summers spending. But maybe we don't need to.

Or maybe we do, honestly, who the fuck knows, all we know is we've got to get it right. Simple as.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Hey, guess what? I have a different opinion.

One or two minor adjustments. To overtake at least three of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle. Okay.

I agree with TK-421 and others who are saying we can improve without necessarily shelling out vast amounts. Personally I would be delighted if we signed the following:-

Jackson Martinez £6m

Junior Hoillett £3m (compensation)

Luciano Narsingh £6m

Mohammed Diame Free

Sterling, Robinson, Gulacsi and Shelvey should also feature much more next season. I genuinely believe those changes alone would improve us immensely.

The really hard part will be shifting the players that are surplus to requirements - Maxi, Dirk, Joe Cole, Aquilani, Brad Jones, Aurelio and Danny Wilson.