You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton away match thread

fowler9

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought and still think Kennys untouchable this season. Nothings changed that opinion not even this clusterfuck of a game tonight.

But he really has to make changes next summer. No two ways about it.

Mistakes have been made. We have to do something about it.

How is Kenny untouchable? We've won one league games in six against some truly fucking shite opposition. Who's that down to then?

Fucking terrible. That is all I will say regarding the game.

The suggestion that Rafa would have spent £100m worse (or even as bad) as this is frankly delusional.

I absolutely love Kenny and I want him to succeed. And I bet nearly everybody on this site feels the same. The truth is though that it would be highly hypocritical and frankly blinkered to pretend he hasn't screwed up last summer. This team is a lot worse than our team last year, Enrique aside.

The lack of Lucas has hurt him and us greatly but to be fair, of the many teams in the PL, it would be a bit rich for us to complain about being thin in the squad. But its not just the transfer activity which has left me unhappy. The tactics that have been used at times have been pretty confusing, and largely wrong. The club's handling of the Suarez affair was an absolute joke, the lawyers as well as Comolli, Kenny, Ayre, et al.

I wasn't alive when Kenny took us to the championship and I briefly remember the time he had at blackburn, I was only young. Therefore its hard for me to look back at past successes and find confidence from them. I do, however, totally respect the man and his credentials as a player and a manager. I have read, watched and heard a lot about him and I was infectiously positive upon his appointment.

The time has come, though, for the owners to decide what they want to do moving forward. They have invested a lot of money since being here and since then, have been greeted with not much other than poor performances off and on the pitch. They aren't hasty but the lack of activity in this window is, to me, a direct indicator of them having reservations of Kenny's role. I also wonder why they gave him only a 2 year contract.

I know many fans are split on this but I personally still believe that Rafael Benitez will do a terrific job at our club. If the owners aren't going to back Kenny then they have to move swiftly. Not releasing funds in January when the squad is so obviously lacking is silly. Either give Kenny money to spend or bring in somebody else. I'm sick of this club being in a mediocre limbo.

As I said, I want Kenny to succeed. However, if things don't get better, and the owner's aren't willing to release funds, then somebody new has to be brought in quickly. And I think Rafa would be the best choice.

I've just sat and watched that with some newcastle fans, an evertonian and a norwich supporter. Fuck me I squirmed with embarrassment while they took the piss but during the last 10 minutes they went quiet, either they ran out of things to laugh at or just took pity, no point kicking a man while he's down.

That was a pile of steaming donkey shite, a very poor team performance with Adam, Johnson and Carroll standing out in the I'm fucking clueless deparment.

I think the people questioning Kenny have every right to, he's got a lot to answer for.

An alarmingly bad performance. Didn't think they could possibly play as badly in the second half but they got even worst. It was like the Spurs game where virtually every player was below par and we didn't look at the races right from the start. As clueless as ever up front with the added bonus that the defence was a complete shambles too. Some other players needed to step up while Suarez was suspended and unfortunately none of them have. But what's all this about Kenny needing to go? It's starting to turn into a very disappointing season in the league and it's mainly because the big new signings haven't been good enough but he deserves some time to try and get things right. Just because we've started buying all their players doesn't mean we have to literally become Newcastle and start calling for the manager's head after every poor display.

How is Kenny untouchable? We've won one league games in six against some truly fucking shite opposition. Who's that down to then?

Just saying I think he deserves a chance to change things up.

I think people calling for him to go are taking the piss to be honest.

BUT... if come next season we're persisting with the same players facing the same problems then I think no matter what anyone thinks or wants he'll be sacked anyway.

Feels like I'm slowly watching lfc becoming Aston villa, it kills me. This is a team with no desire for anything. Too many shitbag players with no fire in their belly.

Players make a team, buy players who are good with the ball at their feet where its second nature. No club our size has spent as fucking terribly as we have over the years.

On the bright side, none of us wanted another 0-0 scoreline.

Trying to make light of it, but this is a serious situation. Chelsea and Arsenal are there for the taking and the top four should be ON; but we are making it harder and harder for ourselves with each passing week.

The football we were playing under Kenny in the second half of last season - football which filled us all with so much hope for this campaign - seems to have evaporated, and for all the money spent, we do not have much of a argument to say we are a better team than last season.

It could, of course, all turn around splendidly, and what's to say we won't have a fantastic run in where it all clicks and Stevie and Suarez show us what we've wanted to see all season? Maybe that will be enough to get us top four and we build from that. Even as I write these words it is more in hope than expectation, so there is cause for concern.

Spot on, as always.

BUT... if come next season we're persisting with the same players facing the same problems then I think no matter what anyone thinks or wants he'll be sacked anyway.

How do you mean "deserves a chance"?

I'm sick of the double standards people on here so often apply.

He's had more than a chance. He has spent a shit load of money and nearly wasted all of it.

Just because we all love him we cannot be biased in our judgement.

Adam has got to be replaced .. Shelvey, Spearing or Coady even ... he is dire end of !!!

Carroll - could he hit water falling from a boat ?? ... get rid

Maxi .. your time is up ..same with Kuyt ... Kelly for Johnson and buy a Striker who knows where the goal is ... the thing is this is not knee jerk it been obvious for months and waiting for it to all gel and come good does not seem to be a plan does it ??

Way to many brainless British players unfortunately. Ah well, I'm used to playing for nothing in the league around this time of year now anyway.

And therein lies the problem, standards have been allowed to drop and we are now very firmly in the second tier of clubs. You're quite right, I'm now used to title ahem "challenges" being packed away for another year along with the Christmas decorations. One of the biggest clubs in the world? We sure don't act like it, it's time for a dramatic rethink about where we are and where we're headed. This is a very, very poor team and it cost a fortune. Very worrying.

He had a chance in the summer to change things and look where that's got us. We're in the middle of another transfer window and he's said this week he's expecting a quiet one. What the fuck? The team is utter shite. Get somnething done about it man.

I'm not saying he should go but he is in no way untouchable. Everyone out there today should forego their wages this week, including Kenny and Steve Clarke. It's like watching us under Hodgson lately and I'm fucking sick of it.

How do you mean "deserves a chance"?

I'm sick of the double standards people on here so often apply.

He's had more than a chance. He has spent a shit load of money and nearly wasted all of it.

Just because we all love him we cannot be biased in our judgement.

Listen what I'm saying is to give him the summer. See if we can make some changes for the better.

If not I think we all know what the outcome will be anyway.

Before today Bolton had the worse home record in the top SEVEN tiers of English football. Tonight's performance was not good enough.

I can take us losing. I can bear us being out of the top four. I cannot take a team being put out there who are not set up right, or good enough. Sunderland under Bruce and Norwich won here.

We are within touching distance of a Europa space, CL places are within reach, and we are just one game from our first ever New Wembley Final.There is cause for hope. But anyone watching this game,will know that we are not at basecamp looking up, we are at the summit looking down.

If Downing's performance was better then Kenny would have expected frpm a £20m player, there is something seriously wrong. Dirk's needless injury time booking when we were already beaten is indicative of the frustration which suggests that all is not well in the camp. Here is a man who has competed in a World Cup Final less than two years ago - and now he is taking a tonking at Bolton.

I have just one message. Kenny - sort it out.

Listen what I'm saying is to give him the summer. See if we can make some changes for the better.

If not I think we all know what the outcome will be anyway.

There needs to be a moratorium put on the purchase of British players at the very least - you either give him no money or tell him exactly the sort of player he's allowed to sign and veto anyone who doesn't meet those criteria. The club is finished for the foreseeable future if he wastes any more money.

Because we need More than "Stevie & Suarez" G-Richards that's why we probably won't have this "fantastic run" you speak of. In essence? We've exactly the same problem now that we had 3 years ago only we had Stevie & Torres then - At least One out of Them? scored goals on something like a regular basis. Now? We have 2 special players & Neither is the regular deadeye scorer we need. We stupidly let Chelsea rob us of that commodity a year ago when we Could have done what Spurs did & forced him to stay another 5 months or so believing Carroll was The answer & now? We are in the unenviable position of not only having the regular marksman we needed for years before Torres but also? Having paid big, nay Huge money for his successor &? It just Not working or clicking for him right now. As a result? We need one of two things - Either more special players to deputise for Gerrard & Suarez when out & create things/unlock the talent Andy Does have in there somewhere Or? Another Torres or similar type 'Finished Article' striker to rifle home nearly all the chances we do create in games & with the Awful amount of money involved in the Carroll deal?

Well, with that now in the equation since last year? Clubs now Know that we are lacking these players/commodities & as such? Will Not give up theirs easily (if at all in the case of our Direct Rivals) to help us solve our team's inherent problems without Massive payouts & still more ridiculous transfer fees on our part. Take Juventus taking the p*ss today over Krasic in the media for some unknown Reason & wanting a clearly excessive amount for their signing that has not worked - A Prime example - Or Spurs wanting 20 Million for a rather older Defoe; Teams Think we're just mugs now - On & off the pitch............

NB One other thing G-Richards? I think this "fourth is on/we need fourth" utter crap - Is the reason So many teams have just 'given up' including ourselves in recent years & confined themselves to Aiming for fourth spot at best. I think the example of the attitude the likes of Arsenal/Utd & Chelsea show even when they're Not doing well & that We used to personify more than all of them? The view that top Spot is there to be aimed for & fought over & it is All we should aim for? I think that should be the way we look at it from now on & who knows where we'll then go? Or to put it more simply? "Aim for the moon & you might land among the stars? Aim for the Sky & you'll stay on the Ground" Think we should aim for the moon myself however unrealistic that seems right now. You never know Where we might end up should we take that attitude but the question is? Are we brave enough - We shall see soon enough no doubt. Time will tell on that one as it always does..........

NB Xerxes? Agree with most of that but just one thing? I don't think Kenny's remark re Downing? Was intended to be taken seriously - I actually Think he was getting a dig & a Very sarcastic one if true in at Commolli with that one. Why do I think that other than the obvious given just How acerbic Kenny's wit can be at times? Simple - If you look at us & Spurs during most of Commolli's years there (05-09 or something?) The paralells are obvious. An absolute Ton of young/British/British-Based Players bought, Sheer chaos in personnel at times with a virtual revolving door policy in certain areas of the team (at the Back for Spurs - Up front for us). Chaos & Ineptitude very often the result of this On the pitch & lessons Only learned in Buying players? After great numbers of expensive often British Mistakes had been made. It's Crystal Clear from all this? Kenny is Not in sole charge of our transfers. Anyone looking at it can see that much is obvious. What we do next mind? Is equally as much Anyone's guess. Damned if I know....................

NBB Yet despite all this? We're one game from One Wembley Final & knowing our Form against the so-called 'bigger' sides? Not To far from another If our luck holds in the FA Cup. That if nothing else? Illustrates Quite clearly Kenny's sheer class & ability as a manager given the sheer ineptitude he's forced to work with in Commolli.....

Edited by Redshadow