You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

God says... Can I have a pee, Bob?

Chocoholic

Oh dear....

Twitter is eating itself over Ed Miliband's 'Blackbusters' typo | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Clearly nothing important is happening in the UK today, as Twitter splutters into life amid mock outrage or fully fledged mirth over Ed Miliband's misspelt Blockbusters tweet. More elephant trap than social network, Miliband (or rather his Twitter minion) entered the word "Blackbusters" in an initial attempt to express sadness at the death of former gameshow host Bob Holness.

That in turn prompted an excited debate about the distance between the "o" and "a" on a keyboard and well who knows what else. Of course, this comes the day after Diane Abbott's "divide and rule" tweet, which may well have been ill-judged but hardly ranks as terribly important in the political scheme of things. And at a time when Miliband is having one of those "bad weeks" that media so love. But all this hardly makes a typo a trend; if it did, a whole lot of us are in trouble. (What typos at the Guardian? Never.)

Guest ShoePiss
RIP - loved that show when I was a kid, so much so that it was the first computer game I bought for my Commodore 64.

Haha! What M would have been a much better choice for your first game and all kids who weren't bullied at school definitely chose it?

Guest TK-421
Haha! What M would have been a much better choice for your first game and all kids who weren't bullied at school definitely chose it?

Manic Miner?

Did he actually play the saxophone ? Isn't that story about him playing the sax in Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street just a myth ? Apparently he was well aware of the story but just allowed it roll on.

Yes' date=' Stuart Maconie is credited with making it up during his time with the [i']NME[/i].

Guest TK-421
Match Day II, I was a speccy owner and wasn't even sure if Willie was available on that machine, I knew MDII was though.

Good choice, Sir. Personally I was a C64 man all the way. Better sound, innit? Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway. On that amazing sound chip. The Last Ninja soundtrack is way better than anything Madchester came out with.

Speccie was good, tho. Young, sweaty and eager fingers on rubber keys. Marvelous.

Isnt there also a lesser know story about him playing a guitar on some bands track ? Also a myth.

According to Wikipedia:

Holness was the subject of an urban myth' date='[2'][3] claimed to have been initiated in the 1980s by broadcaster Stuart Maconie who, writing for the New Musical Express in a section called 'Believe It Or Not', said that Holness had played the saxophone solo on Gerry Rafferty's 1978 song "Baker Street". Tommy Boyd, among others, has disputed Maconie's claim to authorship of the rumour.[4] The actual performer was Raphael Ravenscroft.

The story clearly appealed to Holness' sense of humour as he often played along with the myth, and also at various times jokingly claimed to be the lead guitarist on Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla" and the mysterious individual putting Elvis Presley off his stride on the famous 'laughing' version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?". He was recorded confirming the Baker Street story in a 1993 interview on STOIC, Student Television of Imperial College.