You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - 27th November 4pm

Guest LFD

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting into the CL is infinitely more important than winning either domestic cup at this stage. If we want to attract the best players and compete in all competitions going forward it's essential. If we win the CC and fail to get anywhere near fourth, I don't think you'd be able to keep players like Reina and perhaps even Suarez happy, and understandably so. Carling Cup success doesn't breed anything at this stage, especially for teams stupid enough to prioritise it over the league - ask Birmingham.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win it but I also have to be realistic - it's all hands on deck to finish as high in the league as possible this season; ideally we'll be able to field a full-strength team in most cup ties, but when forced to choose there can only be one winner.

Point taken. I dread to think what the media will be like if we dont get that 4th spot, would hate attention around Kenny's job.

The owners have openly said they are not asking for a title challenge, alls they want is that 4th spot. If we dont acheive that after spending the amount of money we have it will become quite a sticky situation.

Prey to god we get 4th! Just need to start being more clinical in the smaller games and we have every right to qualify for Champions League. Plus side aswell, i still dont think we have played no where near are true potential yet. Things still havnt clicked properly, which im confident it will in the coming months

For those with any sort of a memory, back in 2001 we seemed to manage OK with winning the League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and then finished it off with qualification for the Champions League as well.

The point being that momentum is hugely important, keep winning as a team and a club and it breeds the mentality to lift trophies and to succeed.

Beat Chelsea and we are in the semis and we have a real chance of doing what we do best - collecting winners medals. Lose and we accept 2nd best

For those with any sort of a memory, back in 2001 we seemed to manage OK with winning the League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and then finished it off with qualification for the Champions League as well.

The point being that momentum is hugely important, keep winning as a team and a club and it breeds the mentality to lift trophies and to succeed.

Beat Chelsea and we are in the semis and we have a real chance of doing what we do best - collecting winners medals. Lose and we accept 2nd best

to be fair there were only 2 other top class teams in the country back then and maybe Leeds as well

Its not a case of accepting second best, we just beat chelsea away in the league, its that ridiculous fixture scheduling has given chelsea an unfair advantage which now makes them big favourites.

----------------Reina---------------

Kelly-----Skrtel----Agger--Enrique

Hendo----Lucas----Adam----Maxi

----------Suarez---Kuyt-----------

With Kelly and Enrique, we have defensively sound fullbacks.. Hendo and Maxi tend to tuck in, thus pushing their wide players wide where they're less dangerous.

Their back 4 is full of pace, so starting Bellamy is really playing it to their strength, so that leaves us with Kuyt and Carroll and at the moment, I'd pick the former as he's a more reliable performer.

You can rely on him to be shite, as he has been for most of this season. We gave the ball away far too easily last weekend thanks largely to Kuyt. We do that against City and we're going to be punished for it. And he's rubbish as an attacking player.

You can't drop Johnson. You can play Spearing in the middle and have Henderson, Adam and Maxi getting forward in support of Suarez though. Or have Henderson in the middle, Maxi on the right and Bellamy on the left.

I have changed my mind vs City I'd go:

-----------------------Reina-------------------------

Johnson------Skrtel----------Agger-------Enrique

----------------Lucas----------Adam---------------

Henderson-------------Suarez--------------Downing

-------------------------Carroll---------------------

vs Chelsea:

-----------------------Reina-------------------------

Kelly------Carragher----------Coates------Aurelio

----------------Lucas----------Spearing-------------

Maxi-------------------Suarez---------------Bellamy

-------------------------Kuyt--------------------------

With only Reina, Lucas and Suarez playing both games, as for me they are all key players.

I think we'll need the pace and mobility of Kuyt / Bellamy away from home against Chelsea, who might have more possession than us in that game - to hurt them on the counter attack.

But at home, I think we should have as much possession as City (hopefully more) and Carroll can be in the box and be a threat.

Edited by LFD

You can rely on him to be shite, as he has been for most of this season. We gave the ball away far too easily last weekend thanks largely to Kuyt. We do that against City and we're going to be punished for it. And he's rubbish as an attacking player.

You can't drop Johnson. You can play Spearing in the middle and have Henderson, Adam and Maxi getting forward in support of Suarez though. Or have Henderson in the middle, Maxi on the right and Bellamy on the left.

Call me psychic but I reckon you're not a fan of Kuyt?

I understand all the individual words here, but I simply cannot comprehend this sentence.

Well when you don't mention the whole sentence it can look stupid.

I said pace and mobility of Bellamy and Kuyt. Kuyt isn't quick, but he does have good constant movement.

------------- Reina -----------------

Johnson Agger Skrtel Enrique

-------- Spearing Lucas ---------

Maxi -- Adam/Henderson -- Bellamy

------------- Suarez ----------------

Just like to see Adam given a little more attacking freedom with less defensive capabilities, we might see more from him and it may mean he isn't dead on his feet come the 60th minute.

Or keep with the Adam and Lucas central midfield with Henderson behind Suarez. I just want to see Kuyt dropped. His ball retention, or lack of it, would cost us against a side as good as City.

Plus it'd mean Spearing would give us more defensive cover, I think most of us would agree him and Lucas worked really well towards the back end of last season.

If either Bellamy or Maxi are dropped it'd be a disgrace (cue Drogba gif.) Only worry would be if he dropped either Agger or Skrtel to get Carragher back in the side.