You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're absolutely petrified of Johnson aren't we?

Pitiful mentality displayed. I'd sit them down and show them videos of Brian Close heading away the Windies attack of the 70s and if they weren't willing to do that then I'd lash them into the Great Barrier Reef.

What a joke. Michael Clarke won't return to the ODI team until after the World Cup has begun and not until Australia has already played England, one of their main rivals for a spot on top of the group. Not only is this guy only a tight single away from being out of the tournament, him being captain puts VC George Bailey in a very awkward spot. Bailey has been struggling for runs, yet should Clarke succumb to another injury, do they shoehorn Bailey into the team to be captain and hope he finds form? All the while you have Steve Smith, who has started both his Test and ODI captaincy stints with centuries in each format, wondering if he might ridiculously end up being Australia's third captain of the tournament. This shit could have been avoided by making Clarke pass a fitness test that should have seen him available for all games or not at all. Bailey too should have to prove he is in good enough form to warrant a place in the squad. 

On top of this, you have Mitchell Johnson coming off a hamstring injury, although he was excellent in Perth, to be fair. Australia has some very good bowling prospects right now, but none bring the fear factor of Johnson. Mitchell Starc could one day, but he is still closer to the Johnson of 5 years ago than he is to the Johnson of today, ie wildly inconsistent. Johnson staying fit is essential. Throw in an abdominal strain that James Faulkner suffered in the Perth match, and there is a certain fragility to Australia's team right now. Faulkner is a crucial part of this team, with his finishing with the bat fast gaining a reputation as one of the very best. His bowling is more than handy too. Add the injury-prone Shane Watson having not played an ODI for a few weeks, Mitchell Marsh missing half the recent Test series with a hamstring and his brother (the most likely replacement should Clarke go down) doing one or two hamstrings each season means that a lot is being gambled on the fitness of the starting XI. 

A while ago, I accused England of not having the balls to drop Cook, despite horrendous ODI form with both bat and as captain. Credit to the ECB, they bit the bullet on the eve of the warm-up tournaments. That isn't to say Eoin Morgan is the answer, but Cook certainly wasn't on current form. In a similar way, I wish the Australian selectors had done the same with Clarke, but for different reasons. Clarke is far more easily replaced in the ODI team than the Test team, yet with back-to-back Test tours of the Carribean and UK straight after the World Cup, he is running the risk of getting injured now, which will hamper him for later in the season. Again, the fact he won't be fit and will be returning to international cricket cold and it will also throwing the whole captaincy issue open again, should he get injured. 

A fully fit best XI should see Australia go deep into the tournament, if not win it. South Africa look awesome at the minute though, as do New Zealand who will be fucking tough to beat at home. Should they win the majority of their matches, including the crucial game against Australia in the group stage, they will play every game in New Zealand up until the final at the MCG, which I wouldn't rule out just yet. 

It is also going to be the best Valentine's Day ever! 

England just bowled the Windies out for 122 in their warm up game.  Woakes with 5 for 19.

Broad and Anderson rested so Tredwell and Jordan got an outing.

Sadly the batting lineup is unchanged so Bopara is obviously going to stay in at 6 for the World Cup.  Even he managed to get a wicket though.

Does anyone want to take a stab at England's team for Saturday? And will anyone be getting up at 3am or whatever it is for the start of the match? Not great timing from my end either though, it's on a Saturday, meaning I will miss all of the 1st innings due to local cricket commitments. 

Anyway, here is my guess for the Australian team: 

Warner

Finch

Watson

Smith

Bailey (captain)

Maxwell

Marsh

Haddin

Johnson

Starc

Cummins

Hazlewood (12th)

Faulkner and Clarke are still injured and both should come back in for the second game, at the expense of Bailey and Marsh, I'm guessing. Johnson, Starc and Cummins will ideally bowl their full quota of 10, leaving Marsh, Watson and Maxwell to negotiate the other 20 overs between them. Johnson and Starc at 9 and 10 respectively shows this team has real batting depth. 

England team will be:

Bell

Ali

Taylor

Root

Morgan

Butler

Ravi

Woakes

Broad

Finn

Jimmy

Yep, that's what it will be. Probably through the whole tournament too barring injury.

My latest knee-jerk predictions after seeing some of the warm up series: Australia are massive favourites.

South Africa probably next best with NZ and Sri Lanka other likely semi finalists. NZ could make the final quite easily.

I am writing off the Windies and India.

England have half a chance at the semis especially as they will avoid Australia in the quarters.

Pakistan are massive wild cards who could get to the final or go out in the groups.

You've got to fancy Aus in home conditions. Aggressive batting line up all the way down to players like Faulkner, Johnson and Strac all capable of winning matches. Excellent seam attack but only weakness being a lack of spinner and maybe a 5th choice bowler (haven't seen enough of marsh to judge to be honest). Only concern is the effects Clarke has in this team. Will he be able to come back from his injury and will it have a negative effect on the team?

South Africa are a classly side. Amla, Faf, ABD, Duminy, De Kock all excellent batsmen. Miller is capable of hittin a long ball as well. Bowling attack of Steyn, Philander, Morkel are all capable of winning matches. Even Tahir is a good option in Odi's, his Test record is dreadful mind. The only weakness is their 5th bowler and lower order hitting. I really haven't seen anything in Behardien to suggest he's good enough

Probably for the first time in years NZ go into a tournament with some expectations and rightly so. I've been impressed with them in all formats for the last 18 months. I think the key for them is Williamson, he's the key batsman you want to try and bat through the innings and let mccullin, Taylor Anderson and Rochi play their natural game. Conditions will help their bowling attack and I'm a massive fan of Southee, seems to be developing into a very good bowler. The return of Vettori is a massive bonus. You know you're going to get 10 overs of control where he's going for about 40 runs and probably picking up a wicket or two.

There isn't really much expectations regarding England chances but i think we will do okay. I don't think we will win it but we've got a good enough XI to get to the semis in my opinion. We've got a decent set of batsmen in Ali, Bell, Taylor, Root, Morgen and Butler. Jimmy, Broad, Woakes and Finn should enjoy the conditions in NZ, especially with two new balls. im still yet to understand Ravi's role in this line up. He doesn't bowl, hasn't really performed with the bat and we should probably try and squeeze in another batsman or bowler (Hales or Tredwell)

If Pakistan had a fully fit bowling attack then I'd fancy them as dark horses but they've got no Junaid, Ajmal and Haffez. That's some excellent bowling attack theyve got to replace. To be honest, other than Younis, Misbah and Umar, i don't know much more about their batsmen

India don't have the pace attack to compete in these conditions. They'll be relying so heavily on their batting line up and in the Test series against Aus, they did perform quite well, obviously different format but the experience of conditions will be a help. I can see Kohli having a excellent World Cup to be fair.

Easily with the most experiences in their line up is Sri Lanka. Classy batsmen in Sanga and Mahela, Dilshan has found some form, Matthews has continued his development over the last 18 months. I just worry about their bowling attack. I'm not so sure about how fit Malinga is. And I don't think they've got a good enough attack to challenge the likes of India, SA, Aus if and when they play them.

What do I need to say about the WI's? They're becoming a laughing stock of international cricket. No Pollard, Narine and Bravo pretty much means no chance. I wouldn't be overly surprised if they don't even get out of the group. They'll be relying on Gayle but i can see him struggling in Aus and NZ. Is Badree in the squad? He's ranked the number one spinner in T20

• Upvote 2

Just found out tonight, totally unexpected, that I've got to fly back to the UK for a few weeks in May. Checked the dates, went straight online and snagged a ticket for day 1 of the New Zealand Test at Lord's.

Fucking ace. Opening ball of the first Test Match of the summer from the upper Edrich. Get. The. Fuck. In.

NZ just absolutely walloped Seth Ifrica - without Amla and Steyn, but pretty much the rest of a first choice team.  Had them at 66/6 at one stage.

Zimbabwe tonked Sri Lanka as well.

England going ok-ish against Pakistan.  Duck for Morgan though and a marvellous 11 from 25 balls for Bopara.  Balance and Hales in the side both got decent scores but nothing to write home about on the run rate.

Just found out tonight, totally unexpected, that I've got to fly back to the UK for a few weeks in May. Checked the dates, went straight online and snagged a ticket for day 1 of the New Zealand Test at Lord's.

Fucking ace. Opening ball of the first Test Match of the summer from the upper Edrich. Get. The. Fuck. In.

Excellent. I have days 3 and 4.

If you lot last that long against us.

NZ just absolutely walloped Seth Ifrica - without Amla and Steyn, but pretty much the rest of a first choice team.  Had them at 66/6 at one stage.

Zimbabwe tonked Sri Lanka as well.

And we play SL on Saturday after these results and cantering to a ODI series victory over them last week.

Put your house on SL.

I saw somewhere that out of the top 8 nations England have the worst economy rate for the last 10 overs and the second worst scoring rate.

Doesn't bode too well really.

That was the problem against Pakistan yesterday - chucked away a solid start by losing wickets and going at a run a ball for the last 10 overs, took a couple of early wickets then held the run rate pretty well until the last few overs, but could do not a thing about Pakistan tonking the runs needed to win fairly easily.