You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

Henderson is Lucas two years ago. He's the new scapegoat.

People need to realise that he was bought to be an integral part of our team in the years ahead. If Gerrard was fully fit, i doubt we'd have thrown him in at the deep end. Kenny has obviously seen something in him and getting on the lads back (the same goes for Carroll) will not help him. Give him time, and we'll hopefully see him flourish, 6 league games at a new club isnt enough to judge a 21 year old.

Henderson is Lucas two years ago. He's the new scapegoat.

People need to realise that he was bought to be an integral part of our team in the years ahead. If Gerrard was fully fit, i doubt we'd have thrown him in at the deep end. Kenny has obviously seen something in him and getting on the lads back (the same goes for Carroll) will not help him. Give him time, and we'll hopefully see him flourish, 6 league games at a new club isnt enough to judge a 21 year old.

Spot on. And I was one of the people saying the same things about Lucas then that the Henderson critics are saying now. He has proved me wrong, and hopefully Henderson will do the same to the people who are currently writing him off after 6 games.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z_8JLkwzpd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Replace when she says best supports in the land with the words 'Jordan Henderson' and you get the message. Only a pissed up Delia Smith can save Jordan Henderson.

Henderson disappears from games in the same way Maxi tends to drift in and out. But then he pops up with a bus load of hattricks. I think Meireles was guilty of that from time to time, suddenly appearing with a crucial goal. Maybe in 5 years, Henderson will be the new Maxi/Meireles? Or not.

Jordan Henderson has quite simply not been as bad as people have made out. I'm saying that truly. I didn't know why we bought him, I didn't particularly support the signing, But a young lad whose played for England can't be all that bad.

He's been very inconsistent, he's not really stamped authority on many games and he's certainly a confidence player. He's not produced something special out of the hat, but he hasn't been as bad as people have made out I mean that. His passing although erratic has been good at times.

It's only the end of September, plenty of football to play.

I see something in him.

Some LFC supporter started a thread on Henderson at ReadytoGo asking Sunderland supporters about Henderson. 12 pages long but some of the good responses.

I like Henderson, decent player but is not worth £20m and isn't ready to start for a team like Liverpool yet. Has lots of potential though and on his day is a very good player. The trick is to get him playing like that all the time because he had a lot of bad games for us. (Although I'd say invisible rather than bad, he wouldn't make many mistakes, he'd just disappear).

As for what he can and can't do:

He can't tackle- don't play him centre midfield and expect him to win loads of ball.

He is fast. When we were playing good counter-attacking football last season, his pace was key in supporting attacks.

He can't take set-pieces.

He can cross the ball very well generally. He put in a lot of dangerous crosses for us, when he did get into wide positions.

Not the greatest in the air.

Dunno if he's the bravest either, he'll close down but he won't put his body on the line.

Doesn't score many goals but I think this can improve.

But for me his best attribute is keeping nice passing movements going as you go forward. He had a lot of nice support play, one-twos and good movement with some of the other midfielders. I think he works best with an attacking full-back while playing on the wing, which allows him to drift into the centre sometimes but also lets him go outside. The thing is he didn't play like that often enough...but the potential is there.

Read more: A Liverpool fan asks: "What does Jordan Henderson do?" - Page 3 - RTG Sunderland Message Boards

Oh aye, probably another good thing about this transfer is that there will be no more weekly debate on here about whether his best position is CM or right wing.

Read more: A Liverpool fan asks: "What does Jordan Henderson do?" - Page 4 - RTG Sunderland Message Boards

Still think Bruce was right when he was saying he should have stayed for a couple more years before making a big move. Fwiw I think he will still be a top player but if Liverpool want to challenge for the top 4 they can't be starting him every week but if they don't it could potentially slow his development. With paying £16-20m for him I doubt it would happen but a loan back to a mid-table Prem team would do him good imo.

Read more: A Liverpool fan asks: "What does Jordan Henderson do?" - Page 5 - RTG Sunderland Message Boards

some of the comments on here are embarrassing. the lad leaves so people get the fuckin digs in.

the kid has a great engine on him, can put in a superb cross, has vision and seems to be able to 'meg' full backs at will.

he is only brand new ffs, thought liverpool fans were supposed to be the most patient of the lot

if you play him wide right he will do the biz, fact.

Read more: A Liverpool fan asks: "What does Jordan Henderson do?" - Page 7 - RTG Sunderland Message Boards

He has a very good engine and is capable of the killer pass every now and then. He isn't a regular goalscorer and his set-pieces are poor but having said that, generally from open play his crossing is very good.

He has a lot of decent attributes and is a player that will keep things ticking over but he hasn't really got any one outstanding attribute and won't consistently run games in the way that you may expect for £20 million.

However he has the potential to improve and be a great player and that is obviously what you have paid for.

Also not a Liverpool player in the sense that he doesn't throw himself to the floor every 5 seconds and isn't constantly in the referee's ear.

Read more: A Liverpool fan asks: "What does Jordan Henderson do?" - Page 9 - RTG Sunderland Message Boards

He is a tidy player with good movement, he plays maturely to someone at his age and he rarely gives posession away

clearly we paid 20 mil for the "Henderson to be" rather than the current Henderson, a simple fact but some people here are having hard time to comprehend it

the positives are there, one thing i wish he get rid off is the "being invisible" thing, he can go invisible for long periods of the game, does no mistake but its like we are playing with 10 men, he'd make a great ninja assassin with that ability but unfortunately, thats not the career he chose

after the bolton and the england u-21 games, i thought he had a good confidence boost and he will be immense, strangely the opposite just happend, he is playing now with a real low confidence, just playing it safe with the back passes and the side movements, its like he is afraid of making any mistakes, not taking risks at all, and i cant see a reason for that

Because our fans want it all, and we want it now. Haven't got time for someone to grow into his role and assert his authority. Even if he's only 20. He needs to be a clever 20 with pace, vision, goalscoring ability, defensive nouse, commander of the pitch, a third leg and a whole bunch of other attributes that make him not shit.

That said, I think the 'horrenderson' tag is a tad harsh.

There are plenty of fair criticisms for the lad so far, which just makes the mindless abuse he's received even more galling as if the criticism was balanced I think most would agree where he needs to improve and more would see that the changes in his game should come with time and confidence. He needs backing and support, not insults.

He has been largely pushed to the periphery in the last few games and before that he did need to learn to be more decisive. But when he has been, he has impressed as he has good technique with the ball.

When you are a young player in a big club with great players around you, what you are afraid of doing is stuffing up. Therefore, he tends to defer to senior players by passing them the ball. His objectives are first, don't lose the ball, then, make the right pass.

The issue is, is that the position that he plays requires him to be creative and, hence, take chances. I do think that a fit Johnson will give him more space. I do hope that Kenny lets him know that it's OK to lose the ball once in a while but I think playing for a big club makes that difficult.

Guest Pistonbroke
Exactly he's got a lot to learn why can't people see that nowhere near the finished article

Because of "Football manager, PES, FIFA" games. They know a good player when they buy him and fondle their joysticks for hours on end. The modern day fan in general has no patience and no fucking idea if truth be told. if we were ever relegated (god forbid) we'd half our fan base overnight.

Because of "Football manager, PES, FIFA" games. They know a good player when they buy him and fondle their joysticks for hours on end. The modern day fan in general has no patience and no fucking idea if truth be told. if we were ever relegated (god forbid) we'd half our fan base overnight.

Its the over 40s at Anfield who complain and get on players backs, I don't think they've been playing football manager, and I don't think they are 'modern day fans'.

Guest Pistonbroke
Its the over 40s at Anfield who complain and get on players backs, I don't think they've been playing football manager, and I don't think they are 'modern day fans'.

Modern day fan has nothing to do with age, and I don't remember stating so. I know plenty of fans who only support us because their first team like Oxford, Sheff utd, Sheff Wed etc etc are shite now. Fucking bugs me when fans swap alliances because of this. So when i say modern day fans it covers every age, it's the era we are in now and how fans perceive the game. I'm all for moving with the times, but only if it is a positive move to do so.

Have you carried out your own census at Anfield, asked ages, how long they have actually supported the club? Or are you generalizing on the basis older fans from around were you sit are complaining?

I also know plenty of older people who play those type of games.