You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

That's a complete myth.

Jordan Henderson aims to reward Liverpool's faith and £20m investment | Football | The Guardian

The manager, Kenny Dalglish, has indicated that Henderson could be deployed in a variety of positions. "I spoke to the manager and he said he thinks I can play in a few positions. If I could choose I'd probably pick centre-midfield but all I care about is making sure that I'm in the starting XI and playing regular football."

Henderson played regularly on the right side of midfield when he broke into the Sunderland team in 2009 at the age of 19 but was then moved to his preferred position in the middle.

His performances there in the early part of the 2010-11 season prompted Fabio Capello to draft him into the senior England squad for last November's friendly against France. However, Capello stationed him on the right and Henderson struggled, leading his then-club manager, Steve Bruce, to protest that it had been unfair to cast him into his senior international debut in a position in which he was not fully at ease.

kkid6.gif

Bosh

Jordan Henderson aims to reward Liverpool's faith and £20m investment | Football | The Guardian

The manager, Kenny Dalglish, has indicated that Henderson could be deployed in a variety of positions. "I spoke to the manager and he said he thinks I can play in a few positions. If I could choose I'd probably pick centre-midfield but all I care about is making sure that I'm in the starting XI and playing regular football."

Henderson played regularly on the right side of midfield when he broke into the Sunderland team in 2009 at the age of 19 but was then moved to his preferred position in the middle.

His performances there in the early part of the 2010-11 season prompted Fabio Capello to draft him into the senior England squad for last November's friendly against France. However, Capello stationed him on the right and Henderson struggled, leading his then-club manager, Steve Bruce, to protest that it had been unfair to cast him into his senior international debut in a position in which he was not fully at ease.

kkid6.gif

Bosh

So managers who win shit, like Dalglish and Capello think he can play in multiple positions. Managers who win fuck all, think he can't. But play him there anyways.

So managers who win shit, like Dalglish and Capello think he can play in multiple positions. Managers who win fuck all, think he can't. But play him there anyways.

He's not being played there out of some master strategy IMO, he's being played there as he's seen as the long term replacement for Gerrard and (a) it'd be stupid to not play him at all because of the amount he cost and (b) we have no recognised right winger anyway.

This was interesting I thought, sounds familiar:

Gerrard made his Liverpool first-team debut on 29 November 1998 in a match against Blackburn Rovers as a last minute substitute for Vegard Heggem.[10] He made thirteen appearances in his debut season, filling in the midfield position for injured captain Jamie Redknapp[8] and playing on the right wing, but he scarcely contributed in the short on-pitch time he received, due to nervousness affecting his play.[11] Gerrard recalled in a November 2008 interview with The Guardian, "I was out of position and out of my depth." The Liverpool hierarchy nonetheless remained convinced that he would improve.[11] Gerrard saw himself as a defensive player primarily, looking to make key tackles rather than push the team forward

He's not being played there out of some master strategy IMO, he's being played there as he's seen as the long term replacement for Gerrard and (a) it'd be stupid to not play him at all because of the amount he cost and (b) we have no recognised right winger anyway.

This was interesting I thought, sounds familiar:

Strategy or not I don't know, but I think his positioning there is as deliberate as was Houghton's positioning on the opposite flank to that of Barnes. For that same asymmetry to re-appear hints at design IMO. His "position" appears to me, to be the triangle between RM, CM and AM. And Kenny thinks he's smart enough to shuffle between all three as a function of how the game is going.

I do agree with your sentiments about the challenge facing him though, it's an incredibly tough role(s!), especially for a kid of his limited experience. And as you say, you would not put money on a 1-dimensional player like Lampard, even with all his experience, being able to pull it off. So while he's not been great, I've seen enough to think it can work well.

Whether he ends up in the middle or not I don't know, but as a replacement for Gerrard who is defined by pace, power and impetuosity, none of which he has, I doubt it. His job is to carry the piano and I think he'll do it well and get very little credit for it.

I just hope he doesn't have to go through the Lucas experience before the chronically myopic begin to realize his value.

This time next year he could be a very different person, and an exceptional footballer.

That goes for him, Carroll, and Downing. Once they feel like this is home then they'll be free of these nerves.

Where Henderson differs from Carroll for me is that he's shown he's got a lot of individual skill. I'm no talent scout by any means but I can tell when someone has got some ability on the ball, and no amount of nerves is going to take that away. As I've said on other threads, I've not seen that in Carroll, I hope he's got it, but I haven't seen it.

Was really good when he came on, don't want him starting again yet (although I'm sure he will vs Norwich now - I'd prefer Jay coming in) as coming on from the bench has reduced the pressure and is giving him time to grow into the squad. Great vision for the half-volley but should have scored the header. Great to see him making the run (ahead of Suarez from midfield) that we lacked all game though.

Was really good when he came on, don't want him starting again yet (although I'm sure he will vs Norwich now - I'd prefer Jay coming in) as coming on from the bench has reduced the pressure and is giving him time to grow into the squad. Great vision for the half-volley but should have scored the header. Great to see him making the run (ahead of Suarez from midfield) that we lacked all game though.

He should be starting ahead of Lucas. And will start against Norwich.

we looked fine with Adam, Stevie, Henderson in midfield today so we should be fine without a holding player against Norwich, its a good chance for us to really get a few goals and play decent football and thats the sort of game Jordan should be starting

we looked fine with Adam, Stevie, Henderson in midfield today so we should be fine without a holding player against Norwich, its a good chance for us to really get a few goals and play decent football and thats the sort of game Jordan should be starting

If that holding player is Lucas, don't play one.

Our midfield should be Gerrard, Adam and Henderson

Lucas is banned mate. Five yellows. Personally I'd like to see Jay get the start (partially because I think he's better at playing at high tempo from what I've seen and also because I want him hassling Hoolahan while we get a firm grip on the game), but I do expect Henderson to come in. After all if those three do kick up some chemistry it will pay dividends.

Guest SpiderLucas

Said he would play well if played in his correct position, although it was only the best part of half an hour he was awesome. Adam, Gerrard and Henderson should be our midfield 3.

When can I expect the "Stuart Downing - what are you?" thread?

Said he would play well if played in his correct position, although it was only the best part of half an hour he was awesome. Adam, Gerrard and Henderson should be our midfield 3.

Henderson played very well when he came on. Would like to see more consistency in his play.

Guest SpiderLucas
I think it'll be back to Lucas-bashing for the mindless dribblechins.

Lucas wasn’t great today and I think it was subbed off or sent off, but I can’t remember the last time he’s been anything short of sensational when we’ve played the scum in the last few years.

For people to claim Lucas hasn’t improved is verging on insanity.

Everyone knows what he is. A decent, dependable winger with a very good left foot who we overpaid for.

Doesn't score huge amounts, isn't massively quick or full of tricks, so will never be at the level of Ronaldo, Nani, Mata or Young, and isn't as adaptable as the aforementioned players.