You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

If only it was that simple...

True, it was hard to remain subjective when the constant propaganda was telling us Hodgson was a cultered manager who'd do a good job. Until we actually had first hand experience of the cunt, it was hard to tell which way the appointment could go.

Imo of course.

Despite the papers telling us how marvellous he was, you had to ask why he'd been a manager for 35 years, won nothing & Inter were the only decent club that had given him an opportunity - an opportunity that he didn't really do much with.

However, I didn't actually hate him until he made me, with his shit tactics & the appalling, arrogant crap he talked. I feel I have every right to laugh at him after the despair he put us through

True, it was hard to remain subjective when the constant propaganda was telling us Hodgson was a cultered manager who'd do a good job. Until we actually had first hand experience of the cunt, it was hard to tell which way the appointment could go.

Imo of course.

It really wasn't mate, he was always an almighty fuck up off a choice.

The only thing that fucking stunk more was those members on here and the MF trying to justify his appoitment.

It really wasn't mate, he was always an almighty fuck up off a choice.

The only thing that fucking stunk more was those members on here and the MF trying to justify his appoitment.

Aye, fair.

For me personally, someone who didn't really have a fucking clue who Hodgson was before he got the Fulham job, it was a case of he managed to convince Stevie, Torres and Reina to stay, he brought in Cole; at that point everything seemed like it was going well. He wasn't totally embarrasing himself at press conferences, yet. We got a decent point against Arsenal with no Torres or Gerrard and down to 10 men in the first half. That, aligned with the overwhelming propaganda in the media championing him as just the person we need, led me to believe he might just tide us over. Obviously as the season went on I realised just how wrong I was.

I now realise he is quite possibly the biggest cunt employed by the club in the past 50 years, and i'm embarrased I even gave him a chance.

Aye, fair.

For me personally, someone who didn't really have a fucking clue who Hodgson was before he got the Fulham job, it was a case of he managed to convince Stevie, Torres and Reina to stay, he brought in Cole; at that point everything seemed like it was going well. He wasn't totally embarrasing himself at press conferences, yet. We got a decent point against Arsenal with no Torres or Gerrard and down to 10 men in the first half. That, aligned with the overwhelming propaganda in the media championing him as just the person we need, led me to believe he might just tide us over. Obviously as the season went on I realised just how wrong I was.

I now realise he is quite possibly the biggest cunt employed by the club in the past 50 years, and i'm embarrased I even gave him a chance.

Agree with this pretty much. That Man City game really was a huge watershed. I'll forever have burned in my memory Andy Gray boldly announcing that he was going to "let us off the leash", before we got absolutely cut to shreds.

Personally, my views at the time, if I remember rightly, was that I didn't want Rafa sacked on the basis that we'd struggle to get anyone better. Once he had gone, my main choice was Pellegrini.

Once Hodgson was signed, I was of the opinion "OK he wasn't my first choice, bit underwhelmed, but let's see how he goes, he did alright at Fulham and who knows maybe he can make the step up."

A lot of it was blind optimism really. Badly wanting him to succeed but knowing deep down that was very unlikely. Plus remember for the first few months of his reign he was nowhere near being public enemy number one. It wasn't really until the change in ownership that his ever-increasing ineptitude was able to come into full focus.

It's also maybe a point worth making that the longer Woy had with the team the worse it seemed to get. OK Rabotnicki were hardly going to pull up any trees but we dispatched them with minimal fuss with a threadbare World Cup-ravaged squad, compare that to the Northampton debacle a few months later.

Then Arsenal, one of our better league games under Roy also being the one he had the least time to shape himself. The bare facts say we were 1-0 up prior to a bit of bad luck at the end, with 10 men and without our two best attacking players. But then we did have Mascherano in that game and that game only and he played well right to the end (if it wasn't for the refusing to play shit he'd have left on excellent terms with me).

I must admit I saw the Arsenal game down the pub and spent some of the game dispatching a few of my mates at the pool table and not fully focussing on the match, whereas the City game I watched at home so pretty much saw the full 90 minutes with my own eyes, so maybe the start we made against Arsenal is overrated anyway - anyone?

City was confirmation that Hodgson would rigidly stick to a 442 despite everyone else knowing it was a mistake within 5 minutes of the game starting. It was an early indication that he was a tactical dinosaur & worse, he was stubborn - unwilling or maybe unable to change.

That game, the derby & Wolves are ingrained in my memory

Hodgson has actually done us a favour in the long run.

When the time comes(hopefully not for a good few years) when Kenny steps aside.

Our club should never allow the media to influence the decision making process when it comes to appointing a new manager.

Also, I know we as fans can't honestly expect to have any say in the decision making process, but we shouldn't all be forced into accepting someone who is clearly not good enough.

The derby was just horrendous. The performance was bad, but that fucker's actions after the game towards Moyes and that "best performance of the season" shit was so fucking terrible that I couldn't believe my ears. Every press conference from the City game onwards was a joke - a joke where we were the punchline; an unwitting public laughing stock.

I had the distinct displeasure of being in the Kop for the Wolves game and thinking "this man is dragging my club into the abyss and he doesn't give a good god damn about it".

The man is a cunt and I hope he gets the bullet before he gets the chance to lead an opposition team out at Anfield again.

King of the LMA indeed.

Guest ian garro
I must admit I saw the Arsenal game down the pub and spent some of the game dispatching a few of my mates at the pool table and not fully focussing on the match, whereas the City game I watched at home so pretty much saw the full 90 minutes with my own eyes, so maybe the start we made against Arsenal is overrated anyway - anyone?

The Arsenal game was perfect for him. First home game of the season, so everyone's up for it - players and supporters- big game to boot, then we snatch a goal and have a man sent off - so there's not going to be any criticism of us being negative as it was a "backs to the wall job". There was also a fair bit of initial goodwill towards him as well, basically people actually wanting him to succeed - as should always be the case with any Liverpool manager. To be fair, it almost worked, we were only a mistake away from 3 points.

The realisation then set in that this was how this 'manager' wanted us to play, be it against Arsenal, Bolton, Blackburn or whoever - home or away. He's basically brought his small club/country mentality all the way to Anfield, and was convinced that although this was the biggest job he'd ever had, there was no need to change anything he'd always done.

The derby was the turning point for me. It was as bad a derby perfomance in my lifetime - 37 years - and his comments after it left me stunned: "to get a win here would've been Utopia", "Our best performance of the season". It was disgusting and pathetic.

Then the Northampton fiasco, were he threw a load of fringe players and kids in, then completely absolved himself of any blame. The final thing of note, during his reign was were he came out and again, completely absolved himself of any blame in relation to Joe Cole struggling. Now, I'm not and never was a fan of Cole - but the comments from his then manager made regarding him were appalling: "I never signed him, so it's not something I can take responsibility for". We already knew who had signed him - but that's some great man-management, right there.

Hodgson to Liverpool, was a media driven campaign, run by the likes of Samuel, Woolnough, Hayward etc, who were all desperate for an english manager to do well. They had no thought or interest in Liverpools' well-being, but the people who were running the club on a day-to-day basis didn't have the brains to see through it. They thought it'd make them popular, so went for the easy choice. Sacking a manager who had finished 7th is all very laudible, but replacing him with someone who's just had his best ever season - and finished below us, was ridiculous.

I don't really hate Hodgson - I just think he's ridiculous and the worst manager we've possibly ever had. I don't blame him for taking the job - who wouldn't ? The thing that annoys me is, he doesn't think any of it was his fault... Oh, and that he thought Paul Konchesky could play for us.

I'd quite like to forget the whole of 2010, with regard to supporting Liverpool, to be honest.

I texted my dad at half time against Trabzonspor and said if his tactical ideas involve letting mediocre teams play keep ball at Anfield while we passively watch we are in for a horrible season.

I wasn't wrong.

The thing that annoys me most is that after the derby I had a big bet on him to be gone by New Year's Day. The odds were 3/1 at that stage and I lumped on big time hoping to cover some of the my season ticket expenses I'd paid for games like Blackpool and later on Wolves but the cunt held out for an extra week.

I remember starting a poll in the lead-up to his appointment asking if he was good enough to manage us which had over 90% saying no, but it got merged into that monstrosity of a mega thread by an over-zealous Paul, so it's now lost in the sands of time.

You can still see the Poll on the Mega Thread, but not the posts because it has been closed.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/95985-roy-hodgson-mega-thread.html

The Mega thread sequel is still available, but I can't bring myself to look through it.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/97725-roy-hodgson-mega-thread-sequel.html

You can still see the Poll on the Mega Thread, but not the posts because it has been closed.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/95985-roy-hodgson-mega-thread.html

The Mega thread sequel is still available, but I can't bring myself to look through it.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/97725-roy-hodgson-mega-thread-sequel.html

No, that's not my poll, that one was after he was appointed. Mine was overwritten in the merge (sniff).