You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you entertain selling him if we received a substantial offer(£30m+)?

Its a tough one. Despite what some may think I like Gerrard. When he's fully fit I'm not sure there is a more complete footballer playing the game as we speak. He is or could be world class in 4 or 5 positions. He's a uniquely gifted footballer but unfortunately in recent seasosn his body has let him down.

For sentimental reasons I probably would not sell him but I am immensly concerned with his fitness problems. I would like to see his (& every player for that matter) wage be more playing time related.

Its a huge season for him imo, I personally think he'll revert back to a natural CM instead of the more attacking role he has had in the past. This could prolong his career & save the club 30-40m looking for an attacking replacement.

I really belive Gerrard & Lucas can form a formidable CM partnership this season. We just need Stevie properly fully fit, giving everythign for LFC and not thinking one bit about Euro 2012

No one would ever sign Gerrard for £30+ million nowadays. He will see out his career with us, I reckon. I just hope that he gets the league title that his talent deserves before he packs it in.

I think he will have a good chance over the next few years. We have a stronger squad now more than ever. Just have to get them all to gel together.

• 1 year later...

He seemed really upbeat today in his post match interviews, more so than usual.

Really been performing well this year, particularly since January. Also, his fitness has been awesome and it really is a credit to the management team that he's hardly missed a minute.

Basically I just wanted to bump this thread to say I love him.

Really been performing well this year, particularly since January. Also, his fitness has been awesome and it really is a credit to the management team that he's hardly missed a minute.

that's cos his boyfriend is returning from madrid in the summer.

and he loves the way we're playing football.

Best English player I've seen in my lifetime (live).

The danger, inevitably, is clinging on to him for longer than is wise.

I'm sure some might argue the encore of Scholes, or Giggs' longevity should be inspiration for Gerrard, but I think realistically, there's a genuine danger that his presence in the team might be a hindrance.

That sounds awful, but that's the problem with such great players. On any given Saturday, Gerrard will probably be a better choice than the next young player coming through, but the sooner that next young lad comes through, the quicker he might grow.

Absolutely fantastic player, great attitude, and none of the glamour associated with a few other top players.

Best English player I've seen in my lifetime (live).

The danger, inevitably, is clinging on to him for longer than is wise.

I'm sure some might argue the encore of Scholes, or Giggs' longevity should be inspiration for Gerrard, but I think realistically, there's a genuine danger that his presence in the team might be a hindrance.

That sounds awful, but that's the problem with such great players. On any given Saturday, Gerrard will probably be a better choice than the next young player coming through, but the sooner that next young lad comes through, the quicker he might grow.

Absolutely fantastic player, great attitude, and none of the glamour associated with a few other top players.

he's still got it at the minute. rodgers and his sports science people seem to have him in great shape. he's played every minute of the season and he's still creating and scoring goals. He's getting a new 2 year deal apparently which he deserves but he'll be assessed at the end of each season. Hopefully many more years of stevie and a premier league title before he hangs up the boots.

Bryan Robson was 36 before he won a league title and he had more injuries than darren anderton and harry kewell put together.

Rodgers was lauding him after the game, saying how he wants him to get a new deal.

Now, I'm confused. He signed this last year...

BBC Sport - Steven Gerrard signs a new long-term deal with Liverpool

All wrapped up, ambassadorial role at the club after he hangs his boots up, but now all of a sudden he needs a new deal?

If I was a rich man, I probably wouldnt give a fuck, but I'm not a rich man and I do therefore get annoyed when I see this happening.

Is he asking for more money?

Guest San Don
Rodgers was lauding him after the game, saying how he wants him to get a new deal.

Now, I'm confused. He signed this last year...

BBC Sport - Steven Gerrard signs a new long-term deal with Liverpool

All wrapped up, ambassadorial role at the club after he hangs his boots up, but now all of a sudden he needs a new deal?

If I was a rich man, I probably wouldnt give a fuck, but I'm not a rich man and I do therefore get annoyed when I see this happening.

Is he asking for more money?

How can Gerrard be asking for a new deal if the manager is saying he wants him to be given another contract?

Maybe the story about him getting a new long term deal wasnt so long after all?

No "hardly" in it. Every minute of every league game so far.

He is a truly phenomenal player.

he's still got it at the minute. rodgers and his sports science people seem to have him in great shape. he's played every minute of the season and he's still creating and scoring goals. He's getting a new 2 year deal apparently which he deserves but he'll be assessed at the end of each season. Hopefully many more years of stevie and a premier league title before he hangs up the boots.

Bryan Robson was 36 before he won a league title and he had more injuries than darren anderton and harry kewell put together.

I hope so too.

Obviously I've not seen him as much as most of you lot, but at times I've thought "he's declining rapidly", then he'll play out of his skin and show that he's still got it.

If Liverpool manage his workload properly, I hope they can get longer out of him than they might otherwise. I still think though, when you have a player THAT good, it's always harder to judge when their time is up.

Lampard this season has shown that older players can still deliver, consistently (although he's not played quite as regularly as he used to).

For me, Gerrard offers more than just football skill though... when he's up for it, he can raise the game of the rest of the team by another 20%. If HE plays well, Liverpool play well (imo).

I'd have loved a player like him at City. I can't think of a single player anywhere else in the PL who is comparable comparable.... other than (dare I say it) John Terry - who has the same inspirational leadership ability, just happens to highly disagreeable.

Are there any rumours of kids coming through who might take over the mantel? He's gonna be bloody hard to replace when he does finally call it a day. Even if you buy in a replacement (i.e. some foreign superstar), you'll not get the loyalty and commitment level.

Hopefully many more years of stevie and a premier league title before he hangs up the boots.

That ship sailed a long time ago and Gerrard knows it. I have followed this club since the 70s and we have never been further away in my time. It'll take more than three seasons to rectify that.

Which is a bit sad. I can't think of a better English player than Steven who never won it.

His power is key, it's what made Vieira, Toure, Keane, Ince, and Essien all stand out in this country over the years. Those lot are in the top bracket, ahead of the likes of Lampard, Scholes, and Fabregas for example.

Ferguson always enter Gerrard, and so did Mourinho.

That ship sailed a long time ago and Gerrard knows it. I have followed this club since the 70s and we have never been further away in my time. It'll take more than three seasons to rectify that.

Which is a bit sad. I can't think of a better English player than Steven who never won it.

Unfortunately very sad but true even if Ferguson dropped dead tomorrow.