You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Desperate to see him back at the top of his game again. I hope he can get fit and stay fit. I know we will be into diminishing returns before long, but he'll always be quality and I hope he can still play a huge part in our next title under Kenny, as he deserves that medal, no question. We'll miss him when he does bow out.

Yeah, me too Ziggy. I cant imagine Liverpool Football Club without Steven Gerrard in the team. The man is a legend. Its unthinkable.

I know it's going to happen some day, but it better not be for a while yet.

I hope that when he goes out it will be on a high, after the disappointing last couple of seasons for the team and him personally I'm desperate to see him recapture the magic which makes him one of the best players I've ever seen. I think he will aswell, as long as his fitness is good.

Him captaining us to Number 19 with Kenny as manager is the dream.

I'm always much prepared to offer a healthy dose of "fuck off to Twatter" for anyone who offers up such inside information, but on this occassion I'll allow it in the face of some quite intense transfer activity this Summer to cover centre mid.

Many of us wondered why we were so intent on securing Henderson, I think this may suggest quite why we were willing to go the extra mile for him.

No, he's not Gerrard and very likely will not get close to being Gerrard, but show me someone who can.

He's good enough to fill a hole and take on a lot of Gerrard's energetic bluster, but we're obviously going to need to shift the balance of the team away from the old format of relying on one midfielder. Hence the purchase of Adam to complement Henderson, between them, it's a Gerrard-esque output.

Being quite selfish about it, I'd love to see Gerrard used from the bench for some games this season.

It was always a big ace in the Manc armoury to have Giggs and Scholes on the bench, and similarly I'd love to see teams shit a brick when we start warming up Gerrard in the 58th minute.

I'd rather see Gerrard playing from the first whistle, rather than warming up on 58 minutes.

He is 31 not 36! He has many years left!

I'm always much prepared to offer a healthy dose of "fuck off to Twatter" for anyone who offers up such inside information, but on this occassion I'll allow it in the face of some quite intense transfer activity this Summer to cover centre mid.

Many of us wondered why we were so intent on securing Henderson, I think this may suggest quite why we were willing to go the extra mile for him.

No, he's not Gerrard and very likely will not get close to being Gerrard, but show me someone who can.

He's good enough to fill a hole and take on a lot of Gerrard's energetic bluster, but we're obviously going to need to shift the balance of the team away from the old format of relying on one midfielder. Hence the purchase of Adam to complement Henderson, between them, it's a Gerrard-esque output.

Being quite selfish about it, I'd love to see Gerrard used from the bench for some games this season.

It was always a big ace in the Manc armoury to have Giggs and Scholes on the bench, and similarly I'd love to see teams shit a brick when we start warming up Gerrard in the 58th minute.

*Waits for Silverlining*

I'd rather see Gerrard playing from the first whistle, rather than warming up on 58 minutes.

He is 31 not 36! He has many years left!

I agree with that. I also can't believe some of the absolute gash that certain posters, on different sites, have said about him. If he'd have been lucky enough to have played in a different era, he'd be classed as the best Liverpool player ever imo. I also think he's clever enough to play a similar role to the one Paul Scholes has for the mancs.

1) Gerrard's "energetic bluster"? Oh fuck OFF you patronising dipstick. So, basically, Henderson can run a lot? That's great news.

2) The old format of relying on one midfielder sounds better than this "new" one that requires two players to get anywhere the impact of one.

3) Yes, it's always a good idea to have your best player on the bench until the last half an hour.

4) You're an idiot.

5) Did I mention that you're an idiot?

I agree with that. I also can't believe some of the absolute gash that certain posters, on different sites, have said about him. If he'd have been lucky enough to have played in a different era, he'd be classed as the best Liverpool player ever imo. I also think he's clever enough to play a similar role to the one Paul Scholes has for the mancs.

The amount of grief Gerrard and Carra get on some Liverpool sites is unbelievable. There two of the clubs greatest ever servants yet some take every opportunity to give them shit. It's been an absolute pleasure watching both of them they have certainly made Liverpools last decade more bearable.

The amount of grief Gerrard and Carra get on some Liverpool sites is unbelievable. There two of the clubs greatest ever servants yet some take every opportunity to give them shit. It's been an absolute pleasure watching both of them they have certainly made Liverpools last decade more bearable.

Completely agree. I made that point on another forum (no prizes for guessing where), and said that spastic fans as we accuse the Mancs, Chavs etc of being, they never fling a tenth of the shit at their players that some of our fans throw at two legends of our club. It turns my stomach at times.

1) Gerrard's "energetic bluster"? Oh fuck OFF you patronising dipstick. So, basically, Henderson can run a lot? That's great news.

2) The old format of relying on one midfielder sounds better than this "new" one that requires two players to get anywhere the impact of one.

3) Yes, it's always a good idea to have your best player on the bench until the last half an hour.

4) You're an idiot.

5) Did I mention that you're an idiot?

1) It's a facet of his game, his energy, we have bought a player who can do that and also has a physical presence about him.

You are wrong.

2) Relying on one quality midfielder is great, until he gets injured or has a drop in form, or gets tired. This way we can always have a duo in the middle capable of doing most of the things that Gerrard can. We also don't need Gerrard to do the same things he once did, we've got Suarez and Downing, two creatives that we've not had since Garcia and Riera, which is when Gerrard incidentally had his best performances in a red shirt, albeit our current two are much better than the older two.

You are wrong.

3) With a fucked groin, I don't consider him to be our best player. Even without a nagging groin problem, I still consider Suarez to now be our best player. We still await to see what position Gerrard would play.

You are wrong.

4) I'm not an idiot, I'm a fucking savant, a complete package of footballing knowledge, and I'm here to heal your wounds, you shallow woman.

5) What? Again? I'm reporting you to David for being all spastic.

If you want to keep him further forward what's wrong with 4-2-3-1? Downing, Gerrard, and Suarez all playing fluidly behind Carroll.

It's got Downing* in it. Other than that, I concur.

*I don't really have a problem with Downing, but I'm trying to cultivate a new online personality here and am wondering what the general consensus is for Stewie. One false move and I could be finished here before I've even started.

What do the cool kids say? And what about the big kids? What say you?

One area where Gerrard needs to master as he gets older and his role in the team changes is his ability to keep the ball at times. As Keane got older his ability to keep the ball got better and he was a very underrated passer of the ball imo.

So many of them adapted and did that, those that could anyway.

Matthaus, Keane, Scholes, Seedorf, Ballack all changed from that all-action mould as they aged and then settled into the playmaker position in the centre.

But it's hard to know, and accept, that you have slowed. I'm not sure Gerrard would admit himself that he's slowed down, and until he does then he'll likely keep insisting he's fine to continue as it is.

I don't think Gerrard has slowed down yet. His injuries are restricting his lack of games, not that he has lost his pace.

If he is injury free, then I think he'll be back to his best. He is only 31 and has looked after himself well.

These weeks off will have given him a well deserved break, physically and mentally.

We don't have anyone better than Gerrard, which is why everyone is desperate for him to be fit, and he's the first name on the teamsheet.

I'd hope that Reina is the first name on the teamsheet. I'd imagine anyone who writes a teamsheet starting with the space seven or eight lines down is probably writing it in his or her own excrement and has dead prostitutes in their basement. It is the act of a massive mentalist.

For next season, Gerrard might actually benefit from not having to prepare for 2 fixtures a week all the time. If nothing else, it will give Bruckner's medical staff more time to plan and manage Gerrard's physical fitness. It's strange how some of our fans talk about him as if he's all washed up. He's still younger than me (just!) and when he's fit and firing, he is still one of the best players in the world.

I'd hope that Reina is the first name on the teamsheet. I'd imagine anyone who writes a teamsheet starting with the space seven or eight lines down is probably writing it in his or her own excrement and has dead prostitutes in their basement. It is the act of a massive mentalist.

See what you've done? you've gone and ruined a perfectly good football cliche.

1) It's a facet of his game, his energy, we have bought a player who can do that and also has a physical presence about him.

You are wrong.

2) Relying on one quality midfielder is great, until he gets injured or has a drop in form, or gets tired. This way we can always have a duo in the middle capable of doing most of the things that Gerrard can. We also don't need Gerrard to do the same things he once did, we've got Suarez and Downing, two creatives that we've not had since Garcia and Riera, which is when Gerrard incidentally had his best performances in a red shirt, albeit our current two are much better than the older two.

You are wrong.

3) With a fucked groin, I don't consider him to be our best player. Even without a nagging groin problem, I still consider Suarez to now be our best player. We still await to see what position Gerrard would play.

You are wrong.

4) I'm not an idiot, I'm a fucking savant, a complete package of footballing knowledge, and I'm here to heal your wounds, you shallow woman.

5) What? Again? I'm reporting you to David for being all spastic.

Tragically, you are about a tenth as funny as you think you are, and c. half as clever.

You're 100% as big a cunt as you fear you might be though