You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This man knows:

iainmacintosh Iain Macintosh

A few of you wondering if Modric is actually worth £30m. He's not. He's worth far more. F**k the stats, just watch his feet.

11 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

That's a mongy opinion, imo. How else are you supposed to judge a player's contribution to the team? In stepovers?

Maybe Modric contributes a lot in other ways, but there is no doubt that 3 goals and 3 assists is a poor return for ANY type of midfielder, let alone an attacking one. I would have expected a lot better from him, put it that way.

That's a mongy opinion, imo. How else are you supposed to judge a player's contribution to the team? In stepovers?

No, by watching them play. You know, with your eyes. So that your brain can form an opinion.

Maybe Modric contributes a lot in other ways, but there is no doubt that 3 goals and 3 assists is a poor return for ANY type of midfielder, let alone an attacking one. I would have expected a lot better from him, put it that way.

We had a German midfielder in the 2005 season who only scored one goal and didn't get many assists. How would you judge his contribution?

"I wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer. We are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and retaining quality players is crucial to that.

"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.

"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any Club, regarding Luka.

"We now consider this matter closed."

"I wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer. We are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and retaining quality players is crucial to that.

"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.

"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any Club, regarding Luka.

"We now consider this matter closed."

Imminent..

That's a quality Hands Of Warning though.

Chelsea resorting to Madrid and Barca tactics there. Hope Levy sticks to his guns.

Jesus fucking christ on a bike.

It has nothing to do with stepovers.

Modric is the main man for Spurs, he's a playmaker, his contribution is not judged by his numbers. And he played in central midfield last season, not as an attacking one. How are you supposed to judge his contribution? How the fuck we did judge Xabi's contribution, because below are his stats in the PL.

08\09 - 3 Goals, 4 Assists.

07\08 - 2 Goals, 1 Assist.

06\07 - 4 Goals, 1 Assist.

05\06 - 3 Goals, 7 Assists.

04\05 - 2 Goals, 6 Assists.

Yeah, nothing to really write home about especially in the last 3 seasons, is it?

So i guess according to your logic he was vastly overrated.

Sorry if i sound like a whopper. I just hate it when people have this holier than thou, intelligently-superior "you prefer style over substance and want fancy dans who do stepovers" bullshit attitude. They then go on to talk some sense into us lowly peasants who don't see anything special about average players like Downing, a stage you haven't reached in this thread but have in other threads and you just know that's something that was in the back of your mind making that point.

Alonso never had more than 7 assists for us in a premier league season, he only had 5 assists and 3 goals in the 08/09 season, which was his best season in a Liverpool shirt.

And this is from Kenny Dalglish in his Mail on Sunday column:

The PFA Player of the Year has seven worthy nominees. But the player I would vote for isn’t among them.

With apologies to Samir Nasri, Nemanja Vidic, Scott Parker, Gareth Bale, Rafael van der Vaart, Charlie Adam and Carlos Tevez, the best player I’ve seen this season is Luka Modric at Tottenham.

He is the driving force behind a Spurs team who have had another great season in the Premier League and Champions League. The little Croat can spot a pass, run with the ball and just keep the team ticking along.

He's much, much better than Henderson is or ever will be...

Were talking about Modric,not Henderson,

because we paid top heavy for Henderson, doesn't justify Modric's inflated price,

2 wrongs don't make a right,

never have done,never will

People get hung up on stats too much, in my opinion. There are players who might not necessarily have great stats but they make their team tick.

Modric is in that category for me. Great player.

Yes he is. At the risk of upsetting some, anyone who has any understanding of the game can recognise Modric as a great little player.

Sometimes you watch these online video clips of players who look quite astonishing, but who then turn out to be rather mediocre. Modric isn't deceptively good or hyped. Anyone who has watched Modric play will see that he is remarkably gifted and worth his price tag.

Some unbelievably sensitive people on here these days. All I said is that I would have expected better from him than 3 goals and 3 assists last season, and that perhaps on that basis there is a question to be asked about whether he has been overhyped. I didn't say he was shit. If you wouldn't have expected more from him than that then that's up to you. I have not once said that goals and assists are the only stats that matter, just that he has not achieved as much in that regard as you would have thought. Comparing him to Alonso and Hamann doesn't make much sense to me as they both played a lot more deeply. If I recall correctly Modric started out playing at Spurs playing in a deeper position but was generally ineffective and didn't perform very well at it. Whenever I've seen him recently he has been playing in a much more advanced role, where you would reasonably expect him to be amongst the goals and the chances.

He has excellent technical ability though and there is probably some evidence to show that he does indeed "keep them ticking over" by retaining possession, etc. That may well be where the substance of his contribution lies but I've not seen those stats so I can't really comment. All I'm commenting on is his surprising lack of goals and assists.