You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Wow, like everyone else, I don't know what to say only that I'm full of admiration for the way you are both going about this. Condolences and congratulations I guess, and respect of the highest order in bucketloads to ye.

Jelly and ice-cream ... you're gonna have to have some hot chocolate too, no?! :)

Fuck, Col, can't begin to imagine what this is like for you.....I brace myself every time I see your post on this thread when you've not been around for a few hours, mister. At least you have plenty to occupy yourselves with with your wedding plans. And tell me you've been spared people falling out with each other over your wedding plans?

Sorry to hear the bad news LF, But made up for the two of yous on the engagement. My dad had lung cancer a few years back. Its a bastarding horrible illness. They said it was terminal and gave him 6 months 'at most'. I just picked him up from the pub about ten minutes ago and the arl bastard was hammered on 4 pints of the black stuff. We went through hell for those six months and beyond waiting everyday for it all to be over and three years on he's still here, plus his cancer went into remission. Doctors said 'it will come back' but look where listening got us last time. You just never know.

Sorry to hear the bad news LF' date=' But made up for the two of yous on the engagement. My dad had lung cancer a few years back. Its a bastarding horrible illness. They said it was terminal and gave him 6 months 'at most'. I just picked him up from the pub about ten minutes ago and the arl bastard was hammered on 4 pints of the black stuff. We went through hell for those six months and beyond waiting everyday for it all to be over and three years on he's still here, plus his cancer went into remission. Doctors said 'it will come back' but look where listening got us last time. You just never know.[/quote']

Love hearing stories like that, where folks beat the odds.

My old man was given 6 months but passed away after about 2 weeks. Honestly, that was probably the best thing as it had moved into his brain and the amount he deteriorated in those 2 weeks was unbelievable. 6 months would have been torture and suffering. Miss you, old fella!

Love hearing stories like that, where folks beat the odds.

My old man was given 6 months but passed away after about 2 weeks. Honestly, that was probably the best thing as it had moved into his brain and the amount he deteriorated in those 2 weeks was unbelievable. 6 months would have been torture and suffering. Miss you, old fella!

I didn't know it when he was alive, but my dad was apparently given only a few months. He went 5 or 6 years, the fucking ox that he was. And they were probably the 5 or 6 best years we ever had with him.

That isn't the most amazing bit, though. The most amazing bit was that even up until the day he died I had no idea he had cancer. Not a clue.

Nobody did! He just kept it all to himself, for 6 whole years, so as not to disrupt our lives and so we would always treat him the same way we always had done. Only he and my Mum knew.

For quite a long time I was angry with him for that, but over time it just made me realise what a truly remarkable thing it was that he'd done for the people who loved him, and that's what made him such a remarkable man. I can't even imagine having to go through that alone.

My old man. My only real hero in this life.

• Upvote 2

Really sorry to hear your troubles mate.Don't give up hope.Both my parents had cancer,but luckily they both eventually got over it.They both passed away 7 years ago,within 5 months of each other,not to cancer though.

My old man had throat cancer and had a laryngectomy in 1993.The prognosis isn't great after such an op and he lost nearly all of the friends he had made with the same condition.He died in 2005 of a stroke,nothing related to the throat cancer.

I am just saying that there is generally an exception to most rules.You are both in for a hard time obviously,but keep strong fellah.Good luck with the wedding.

All our thoughts are with you and your Mrs (to be).

I was told about what's gone on via Facebook Col - hence my appearance here. There's nothing I can say, just simply reiterate the best wishes that so many on here have already sent to you and Carly, and to let you know that my thoughts and best wishes are centred upon both of you. I know the prognosis for Carly isn't the best, but there will always be a welcome at Monkey Towers fro you both.

Take care mate, and best of luck with the wedding and everything else you've both got going on.

Alex

• Upvote 1