You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

United-Marseille, brilliant first half.

RedEagle

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke

If Marseilles could cross a decent ball or fucking shoot and head straight they'd have gone through tonight, the mancs were a tadge fortunate.

What was the score.

Simon, I'm guessing you use this site on an internet ready device?

what was the score = 18 characters with spaces.

bbc.co.uk = 9 characters.

Couldn't you just check what the score was yourself? Just saying like.

On another note, McQueen (Gordon, not fit Hayley) said without a hint of sarcasm or irony words along the lines of "Rooney was sensational tonight, that's why he's up there with Ronaldo and Messi."

Un-be-lievable.

The annoying thing is the Mancs aren't even a good team. If Marseille attacked Smalling and Brown then they could get a result here, but they're just going to stand off them because of their reputation.

I've been saying this for years. If the 11 that the mancs have been putting out were that of another club they'd be getting turned over a lot more often. Too many teams face them on reputation and therefor usually shit themselves give them far too much respect. We have proven since th 4-1 a few years back that the way to beat them is to get at them and attack. Any half decent outfit should destroy a back 4 consisting of any combination of Brown, Smalling, O'Shea, Fabio, Rafael, or Evans. Even Vidic is massively overrated in my opinion.

I've been saying this for years. If the 11 that the mancs have been putting out were that of another club they'd be getting turned over a lot more often. Too many teams face them on reputation and therefor usually shit themselves give them far too much respect. We have proven since th 4-1 a few years back that the way to beat them is to get at them and attack. Any half decent outfit should destroy a back 4 consisting of any combination of Brown, Smalling, O'Shea, Fabio, Rafael, or Evans. Even Vidic is massively overrated in my opinion.

Agree with all of that apart from last sentence. He does make them more secure at the back unless thay are playing us!

What gets me is the numberof times that teams put out weakened sides and are happy top get beat 2 or 3 nil.

Agree with that, the Mancs just have a default setting that scares the shit out of the opposition, regardless of who is on the pitch. Even the utter shite teams that Ferguson puts on the pitch for the Carling Cup usually do alright, despite being inferior to Wigan in terms of actual quality.

Marseille should be kicking themselves today, they could and should have scored 3 or 4 at Old Trafford. That Loic Remy looks a real prospect as a wide attacker in a 4-3-3 or something. Their problem was Gignac being a cart-horse.

And why, oh why, oh why, do teams not prepare themselves for the 10 minute onslaught that is United's gameplan for every home game? First ten minutes, be solid and twat the ball out and kill the crowd and kill the tempo. It's unbelievable how many managers go to Old Trafford and open up to try and take them on the break at the beginning of a game.

8 times in 22 homes games this season, in all competitions, United have taken the lead within the first 10 minutes of a game.

If you want to take it further, the Mancs have scored in the first half of 19 out of their 22 home games as well.

Only three games where the Mancs did not go in ahead at half time, and they ended 0-0 Rangers (CL), 3-2 Wolves (CC), and 1-1 Valencia (CL).

Quite simple isn't it? Stay solid, don't concede silly fucking goals, and you'll be in with a chance of points at Old Trafford. They go 100% from the off, it always means that they tire towards the end of games. Doesn't matter as much when you're 1 or 2 goals up and get tired, but when you're level then you get nervous.

Top assists from United from Nani and Rooney (26 between them in the PL), so you shut them down. Fletcher and Giggs also have 6 each, and then it's Berbatov on 3, and O Shea on 3, then Anderson on 2, and Evra on 2.

But I fine comfort in that. If you shut down the space for the attackers, it's not like the full backs are creating loads of goals. For all that intense puffing and panting from Evra, he's not actually a threat as such. Rafael, not a threat, only 1 assist all season. Again, painted as some marauding full back who destroys teams.

Leighton Baines has 10 assists this season, that's a full back threat.

From central, you've got Anderson, Fletcher, Scholes, sometimes O Shea, Carrick. Fuck em, I'd let them have the ball all day and try to score from central positions. Yes, they'll jam a 20 yarder in from occassion, but it's Nani, Rooney, Giggs and Valencia who you need to stop, players who can cut inside or outside and can put dangerous balls in front of Berbatov or Hernandez, or who can win corners from which Vidic and co can cause problems.

29 goals in the PL between Berbatov and Hernandez this season. Rooney has 7, same as Kuyt, Kalou and Chamakh. Those two aren't beating 4 people and scoring goals, they're on the end of crosses and passes across the box.

It's why we always seem to control the game against them when our full backs are on form. Aurelio, Kelly, Carragher and Johnson are horrible for United, when fit and composed. Just like how Ashley Cole and Ivanovic tend to stifle United.

6-3-4

Que? The last 13 meetings (home and away) between United and Chelsea in all comps (not including Charity fucking Shield) have yielded 6 Chelsea wins, 3 United wins, and 4 draws. This is since 2005, about the time of Ashley Cole signing and the advent of your Ferreira's, Bosingwa's and Ivanovic's, and I don't think it's a coincidence that United usually look very shit against Chelsea.

You know more about easter european football than me. But would they beat the mancs?

It would be an interesting game. Watched them play a few games and they are not a bad outfit. They could beat the mancs if they play well and not fold like other teams do.

Mate reckons Shakhtar will win the Champions League this year.

Your mate's in good company, the king tipped them as his outside bet.

Look good going forward but a bit suspect defensively. I think they'd beat united or schalke but not spurs, chels, real, barce, inter.