You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pep Guardiola

Antynwa

Guest ian garro

Whilst he is an all-round likeable fella, he is to Barca, what Kenny is to us. Whether that would be transferrable, is a risk.

We have Kenny, what would be the point of the risk ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the manager of the greatest football side ever assembled managing us now.

I don’t agree with you there, but that would be for another thread.

However, if you are to stand back and try and be objective then Ant raises a very good discussion point. There could be a chance that this summer that we would have Kenny, Mourinho and Guardiola all available for the Liverpool job. If you remove thinking with the heart, then that’s a very difficult choice. Keeping in mind that one of Guardiola or Mourinho is probably going to end up as Man Utd manager. And if you are a pair of American businessmen who simply want the club to be massively successful thereby hugely improving revenues and making their business plan a success, then what decision do you come to?

For me - If it came to Kenny or Mourinho. 10 out of 10 I pick Kenny. Id pick Mourinho over body else out there with the exception of...

Guardiola

guardiola would be ace - but I think as i have said before we need some one to be around for ten years to build a dynasty. Not someone who wants to move on home or to another league in 5 years.

so Without doubt Kenny..

for that

Guardiola is a fantastic manager, who embodies everything Barcelona.

We have a fantastic manager who embodies everything Liverpool.

A month ago, yes.

Right now, no.

So this, basically.

EDIT: And more specificially, this: (I should really start reading beyond the first page when replying)

Whilst he is an all-round likeable fella, he is to Barca, what Kenny is to us. Whether that would be transferrable, is a risk.

We have Kenny, what would be the point of the risk ?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If we don't get into the Champions League, he won't want to join us. If we do get into the Champions League, Kenny will have worked a miracle and will have deserved the job.

I don’t agree with you there, but that would be for another thread.

I obviously should have added 'in my opinion' at the end. The thing is, Guardiola would have to build the side here. He had more or less all the players there at his disposal. He has done an unbelievable job, mind and is clearly a top, top manager.

Also, my view is extremely biased too.

Thing is, I don't think you can remove the heart from the equation. There isn't another manager who will, long-term, be assured of the support of the fans, and almost be assured that the players don't view themselves as above their stations.

Even if you could, in the cold light of day, remove Kenny from Liverpool and judge him as a manager against Guardiola or anyone else, it wouldn't be an indicator of who would be the better Liverpool manager. Because Kenny at Liverpool brings something extra out of him and out of us.

Mourinho is easily more impressive the Guardiola. Look at the squad Guardiola inherited at Barcelona, it was stupidly good. Until he faces the kind of tests that Mourinho has faced with the likes of Porto and Inter Milan then it's impossible to judge how good he is. I seriously doubt that if we could turn back the clock and let him live Mourinhos managerial career that he would have matched Mourinhos achievments at those same clubs. I'd put money on him failing to match Mourinho.

On the Kenny side of the equation - only a catastrophic decline during the rest of the season is the only thing that could put his job in jeopardy and that's not going to happen. He's simply the right man at the right time for us.

I Like Guardiola and his principles. I heard Henry give some insight to the way they play.

The way they put other teams under pressure when not in possession, within 3 seconds they have to put the other team under pressure. The way they play in possession, always creating triangles with the 3 closest players, when they receive the ball with their back to their opponents goal they have to play the ball on one touch. If they fail on those things apparently Guardiola goes crazy.

But i mean, how could you not give Kenny the job if we keep playing consistantly and see improvement...

If he doesn't want to build a dynasty at 'his' club in Barcelona (ie:10 years), I can't see why he'd want to stick around longer with us or anybody else.

Thats not a very good point. He's already won everything with Barca, so if he leaves it will because he needs a new challenge. Unless we become really good in the next few years, you cannot compare the two. It could well take us 4 or 5 years to get back on our perch, that could be a challenege that he would relish.

I'd stick with Kenny, he's started well and knows how LFC operates, it's in his blood. Guardiola benefits from the same kind of link with Barca and wouldn't have that here.

And Spanish football is a different beast, Rafa bossed La Liga in his day but took years trying to crack the Prem and ultimately failed. Ramos is another example. You could argue that Guardiola is a better coach but there's no guarantee that he'd adapt to a system he wasn't used to for decades.