You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pep Guardiola

Antynwa

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t agree with you there, but that would be for another thread.

However, if you are to stand back and try and be objective then Ant raises a very good discussion point. There could be a chance that this summer that we would have Kenny, Mourinho and Guardiola all available for the Liverpool job. If you remove thinking with the heart, then that’s a very difficult choice. Keeping in mind that one of Guardiola or Mourinho is probably going to end up as Man Utd manager. And if you are a pair of American businessmen who simply want the club to be massively successful thereby hugely improving revenues and making their business plan a success, then what decision do you come to?

I would never want Mourinho here, great manager, but no way would I want him here.

If we'd had this conversation two months ago, and asked TLW "Who would you prefer as manager, Kenny Dalglish or Pep Guardiola?", the answer would have been about 90% in favour of Guardiola.

And don't even bother arguing.

I certainly won't bother arguing. I wanted Manuel Pellegrini ahead of Kenny both in the summer before Roy got the job, and after the takeover-but-before he went to Malaga as Roy's position deteriorated - and if asked the same question now I'd answer that one differently too.

While virtually everyone wanted Roy out and Kenny in, there's been a few posts on here since he took over to the effect of "I was wrong about Kenny, hold my hands up" etc. He has transformed the team at a rate that many of us didn't expect. No shame in that since none of us have a crystal ball.

When the current manager (whoever it is) is getting the team to perform and taking the club forward - there is no way a replacement should be considered, unless it's a younger potential long-term replacement, and while Guardiola is certainly that, who knows what the managerial landscape will look like when Kenny's tenure has run it's course?

However I do remember posting on a pre-Kenny Guardiola thread that he is very much a Barca man though and while he has done much more than inherit a world beating squad (he moulded it post-Rijkaard), there would be a risk in transferring this to a different club. I think it was the thread where there was speculation that Chelsea might be in for Guardiola and that sporting director whose name I can't spell at the end of the season.

Guest PurpleNose
You reckon Lyon will beat them, then? I reckon he'll get to the end of the season, at least.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if Lyon did beat them. But even if they didn't I can see Real Madrid being closer to Villarreal than Barcelona in the league by March.

I can't see them winning anything, and wouldn't be entirely shocked to see Real Madrid sack their manager with the team in the Quarter Final of the CL if they were 10-12 points off top in the league.

He's most likely to get to the end of their Champions league campaign.

Can you see them winning it? I think the squad is possibly better than Inter's last season, but not as suited to Mourinho's tactics.

They're shit (relatively so) away from home, and still have no playing philosophy.

Barcelona are doing the treble, again.

Hes still a narcicistic dick. Dick.

I've also yet to see him win a league where he doesn't have the best set of players. Very good in Europe, but then so was Rafa pre-meltdown.

I'd reluctantly give him a shot after my initial disgust dispersed, but if he didn't have us well entrenched in the top three by Christmas, it would prove a point about him, and given that he's never in it for the long term, waiting any longer to sack him would be idiotic.

If R Madrid end up winning the CL this season, they'd still end up having the last laugh. It would also make Mourinho the only manager to win the CL with 3 different clubs.

As for Guardiola, he is an open minded guy and has a keen interest in culture and languages, and would definitely be open to the idea of managing in the PL, regardless of the close ties he has with Barca. Didn't he also recently sign or was set to sign a contract extension until 2012?

Man U would definitely be interested in him and regardless of what Wenger's position is then, you'd expect Arsenal to be interested in him for the long term. Abromavich is clueless, so doubt he'd be interested in going to Chelsea.

If we were keen on him, apart from the obvious lure of LFC, with the structure we'd have in place with FSG and with the presence of Segura and Borrell at the club, who as well as being his comrades, also worked for Barca and he must know quite well, I think we would stand a good chance of getting him. Not to mention the fact that he would probably embrace the city of Liverpool with glee.

Interesting insight into Guardiola's philosophy when playing in the CL last season, where despite not winning it, they played some great stuff; when asked by journalists if it wasn't a bit risky to play so openly and offensively in the CL, his reply was: "It's more risky not to take a risk!"

I think people get their backs up too easily with Mourinho and are far too sensitive. The guy defends his teams with vigor and most of the players he has managed absolutely love the guy. One of the few managers about whom when players talk "off the record" with journalists, very few of his players have a bad word to say.

He was asked when manager of Chelsea if the players were feeling the pressure; "pressure is where you have millions of parents around the world who have no money to buy food for their children, in football there is no pressure."

Mourinho is a top manager and I don't mind him as a fella.

Many people were too blinkered with Torres and bought into the notion that if he did leave, he would never leave for another PL team and would'nt do what he did. The same people are ow calling him a c***.

Fact of the matter is, if Mourinho was LFC manager, most of the people that now call him every name under the sun, would be eating out of the palm of his hands.

Roy Evans apparently understood the Liverpool Way and was a dignified man. His teams lacked discipline and many of the players were a disgrace to LFC!

All this went on under Evans supposed leadership. Even Houllier, an outsider, brought more pride and discipline to the club and put Evans to shame. Evans played good football, but that's about it. Evans was weak and had no authority. Bottom line - the man was a loser.

Mourinho is a leader and a winner and would defend the club to the hilt. The players under him would be prepared to run through a brick wall for the guy (not debating Kenny here or whether he should be given the job on perm basis).

It's laughable that so many get rubbed up the wrong way by Mourinho, a manager of another club who has elevated most of his teams, and show so much vitriol; yet don't get worked up in the same way by people who have managed LFC and totally embarrassed the club!

Horses for courses.

Kenny is our legend, a man who grew up around what made this club great and is bringing it back.

Pep is Barca's legend, a man who again grew up around what made his club great and although not having half the job to do has made them truly great.

Kenny is proving that he can do it when the team is not at it's best and morale is on its knees, having already proven he could inherit a quality side and make them better.

Pep is yet to prove he can do what Dalglish is in the process of doing.

So, no. I wouldn't even take Pep if Dalglish were not here, there's plenty of coaches more suitable for the role. If Pep were to come to the PL the best side for him would be Arsenal.

If someone was to give the Mourihno the job over Dalglish I think I'd go absolutely postal, no doubt about it. One embodies everything that's good about the club, the other is an utter cunt, regardless of his record. So it's no contest on that one for me.

But, I can honestly see the rationale for appointing Guardiola. His teams play good football, he's young and he knows how to win a trophy. If we didn't consider him, then we'd daft in my opinion. But the job's Kenny's to lose for me and if we carrying on improving then there's no reason why the job shouldn't be his.

I think people don't appreciate the pressure and skills it takes to manage a team that has been successful. There are excellent managers that have failed such as Clough, Benitez, Hiddink so we shouldn't in any capacity demean Guardiolas achievements.

In fact what he has achieved so far is exceptional in my view. If people think it has been easy for Guardiola, you have to wonder what people make of Kennys achievements in the 80's as he took over a pretty decent Liverpool squad.

Guardiola like Kenny is very impressive man and both seem to be the opposite of Mourhino. I have said this a few times but Barcelona success reminds me of a modern day boot room but with the Ajax link thrown in to the mix.

Guardiola is probably the only man who could fill Kennys shoes, maybe in five years time though.

Something about turning down the manager of arguably the greatest footballing side ever assembled ever seems naff to me.

Don't get me wrong I want Kenny to get it full time, but it would be a brave decision to turn down Pep, if he did become available and if he was open to a move.

The 1988 side, Id agree ! ;)

I thought of this exact question the other day and concluded I'd take Kenny every time. I think we could get another 10 years from him. He has unfinished business with us, lets just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Aside from the footballing aspect, look at the change in atmosphere on these boards, in fellow fans, the press. Kenny has made us enjoy our football again, tJose is a winner, but Kenny is too plus he represents everything that is LFC, in everything he does. He can have the job for as long as he likes and I see no reason why he couldnt emulate Fergie and be still here in 10 years.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if Lyon did beat them. But even if they didn't I can see Real Madrid being closer to Villarreal than Barcelona in the league by March.

I can't see them winning anything, and wouldn't be entirely shocked to see Real Madrid sack their manager with the team in the Quarter Final of the CL if they were 10-12 points off top in the league.

He's most likely to get to the end of their Champions league campaign.

Can you see them winning it? I think the squad is possibly better than Inter's last season, but not as suited to Mourinho's tactics.

They're shit (relatively so) away from home, and still have no playing philosophy.

Barcelona are doing the treble, again.

On paper they should come close to winning it. I think they will keep going until they meet Barca and that could well mean a final between the two in Wembley. For some reason I can see them winning the Copa too. One off game, shitcoat could well have his team set up and motivated well.

I wouldnt say they've been shit either, they've been very below par but the strength of some of the teams at the bottom have been the undoing of them.

Theres no doubt he'll leave at the end of season, though. Theres too mucdh friction there with Jose 'shit on a stick' Valdano.

I think people don't appreciate the pressure and skills it takes to manage a team that has been successful. There are excellent managers that have failed such as Clough, Benitez, Hiddink so we shouldn't in any capacity demean Guardiolas achievements.

In fact what he has achieved so far is exceptional in my view. If people think it has been easy for Guardiola, you have to wonder what people make of Kennys achievements in the 80's as he took over a pretty decent Liverpool squad.

Guardiola like Kenny is very impressive man and both seem to be the opposite of Mourhino. I have said this a few times but Barcelona success reminds me of a modern day boot room but with the Ajax link thrown in to the mix.

Guardiola is probably the only man who could fill Kennys shoes, maybe in five years time though.

Thats a very good post.

Can't argue with any of that and would rep you if I could. Nice acknowledgement of the Ajax way as well.

Mourinho is easily more impressive the Guardiola. Look at the squad Guardiola inherited at Barcelona, it was stupidly good. Until he faces the kind of tests that Mourinho has faced with the likes of Porto and Inter Milan then it's impossible to judge how good he is.

Yeah mate like you not sure about Guardiola after all any mug can win a treble of league cup and champions league can't they????

:wallbutt: