You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the deal go through, will be sincerely dissapointed that he's going. Not for the player he is, but the player he should have been.

We paid top price for a player on the cusp of brilliance, with everything in his locker, but he just didn't deliver.

After his first season, it looked promising but he never kicked on and seemed unable (maybe unwilling?) to turn that corner in his mindset that stopped him fulfilling his obvious potential.

Possibly should have been given a more extensive run up front, cos he's not a winger, but it is probably fair to say he didn't get that based on merit.

Will probably flourish in another league with regular games.

Some moves are just not meant to be. This was one.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the right time that Ryan moves on for all parties concerned.

I always wondered who first decided that he was a left-winger & why a succession of supposedly top managers left him there as he always looked totally lost out there & defenders knew he was coming inside every time. My only slight grumble was that he was never given a bit of a run on the right which seemed to suit him far better in his few chances there.

Hopefully his sale money is being added to funds for a decent splash before the end of the month, because I think I would spontaneously combust if we have another profitable transfer window.

Cheers for scoring that goal to make it 4-0 in the last minute away to Marseille a few years back when I had a 3-0 corrwect score bet on at 18/1 you nobbert.

Though you did go some way to making up for that when you scored this season against some shite team in the Europe League when I had you as a first scorer at 8/1.

Arsenal penalty, winner v United (scuffed) and cracker v Lyon. Fair play.

He was never good enough. Poor dribbler, poor decision maker, poor passer. Had a good shot though, and that was it. He might have developed as a striker, but the decision to make him a "winger" in our system and just leave him there hoping he would just come good one day was the opposite of inspired.

Nice bloke though.

Should the deal go through, will be sincerely dissapointed that he's going. Not for the player he is, but the player he should have been.

We paid top price for a player on the cusp of brilliance, with everything in his locker, but he just didn't deliver.

After his first season, it looked promising but he never kicked on and seemed unable (maybe unwilling?) to turn that corner in his mindset that stopped him fulfilling his obvious potential.

Possibly should have been given a more extensive run up front, cos he's not a winger, but it is probably fair to say he didn't get that based on merit.

Will probably flourish in another league with regular games.

Some moves are just not meant to be. This was one.

Surmised very well indeed.

I think the move here came too soon for him, he needed to be playing every week to continue to develop, I am sure there is a cracking player in there and I hope he goes on to prove it.

Best of luck Ryan, now go and show the world the player you can be.

the decision to make him a "winger" in our system and just leave him there hoping he would just come good one day was the opposite of inspired.

That had already happened at Ajax.

He failed as a striker in Holland.

For the national team he very rarely plays up front.

I don't get this idea that his failure was down to lack of game time.

It's not as if he came in, showed glimpses of brilliance and was bombed out again.

Most of the the time he couldn't get the basics right.

He's an impact player at best, too stupid to play 90 minutes.

I don't get this idea that his failure was down to lack of game time.

It's not as if he came in, showed glimpses of brilliance and was bombed out again.

Most of the the time he couldn't get the basics right.

He's an impact player at best, too stupid to play 90 minutes.

couldn't have put it better myself. :yes:

Kenny knows what he's doing.

Doomed from the start.

We spent the summer chasing Malouda and when he chose Chelsea we needed someone else to play on the left, so we turned to a youngster who had just played well in the final of the U21 European Championships (without doing much prior to that match) and signed him for a hugely inflated fee. Ajax fans were pissing themselves at how much we paid for him, or even that we'd want him at all.

He was asked what he thought was his best position in his first press conference and he replied "striker", despite the fact we'd clearly signed him to play left wing. He looked braindead in his first few pre-season friendlies and it never really got any better than that. He was a good athlete with decent technique and no idea how to apply it on a football pitch.

Bad signing all-around but good luck to lad.