You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolves(h) game thread

LFC 6 Times

McCarthy got everything right. Pressing us high with so many men doesn’t come without a risk. Do that to Spurs with two good runners in their team, and they’d be two or three down after 10 minutes. However it works against us, as we’re unable to hurt them when their defence is short of men.

McCarthy understood we wouldn’t be able to punish his kamikaze tactics. He did his homework and got it right. Credit where it’s due.

You don't have to run with the ball though if you pass it and play as a team then you don't need Linford Christie for that.

Roys teams do not value the ball, they do not train with the ball 80% of the time, he has never prioritised possesion it's all shape but problem with that is pressing teams will squeeze your shape or better still run right through that shit and without the ball you cannot control anything. We are incapable of keeping possesion and thats the biggest and first problem he has never addressed it as in 35 years it's never been an issue for him. Malmo didn't mind.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was I the only one truly suprised and shocked?

I make my mind up about these things upto a few seconds before the games kick off and just read all the 'we'll walk this' comments from many people and considered that Roy had had the squad for so long to work on them and knew it would be a shitfest, even if, as has happend in other games we got a lucky or genius moment type goal they'd press and push us until we collapsed again. Anyway I didn't watch it, there was a TV in front of me and all I had to do was pick up the remote but couldn't even be bothered to do so, just sat back and admired the forumites who were and able to do so. I cannot even bring myself to change channel these days so cannot say how bad it was, I saw enough long ago and I'm talking while Roy was at Blackburn. Seeing the team sheet only added to that feeling but it's hard to judge when you feel so numb and detached from the manager. The only confidence I have in the man is that we will lose badly whoever we play, occasionally he shows me up but then I'll watch the game back and find we didn't deserve anything from the game. For other teams it's like robbing candy from an aborted baby, we've played 18 in the league and won 6 all season, is it 8 we've lost?

I really do go into each game thinking about how many the other team will rack up against us and can't wait for Owen Coyle to come and like totally cream us dude. He's going to take the 'This is Anfield sign' home with him as a souvenier and Roy will refuse to stop him and probably ask if he wants to take Torres as well to help him carry it home and hang it on his wall for him over the fireplace or in the shed if Mrs Coyle doesn't want to move the family portrait.

You don't have to run with the ball though if you pass it and play as a team then you don't need Linford Christie for that.

Roys teams do not value the ball, they do not train with the ball 80% of the time, he has never prioritised possesion it's all shape but problem with that is pressing teams will squeeze your shape or better still run right through that shit and without the ball you cannot control anything. We are incapable of keeping possesion and thats the biggest and first problem he has never addressed it as in 35 years it's never been an issue for him. Malmo didn't mind.

From all the photos I've seen we seem to spend 80% of training falling off spacehoppers

I mentioned in the next 3 games thread (which are now a complete jinx, fuck off with these threads please!) that I honestly thought we'd get 2 point from Wolves game and the following 2 games. I was shot down and accused of being over pessimistic.

However, in the immediate build up to the game, I actually thought to myself "Hang on, it's Wolves, we've surely got enough to beat them, no?". However, I was dismayed by the line up and you could tell after about 10 minutes that we were really going to struggle to score in the game as there was no fluency to our play.

Another thing that pissed me off, and has done all season, is how our fullbacks tuck right in when the opposition have the ball by our box, effectively making it like we are playing with 4 centre backs. The amount of unchallenged crosses we've allowed teams to put in against us this season is shocking. Off the top of my head, the one that stands out for me is the Berbatov overhead kick at Old Trafford. Good goal, but the ball should never have got to him in the first place. It's just a recipe for disaster not closing down wingers. It's a basic Sunday League fundamental - stop the cross coming in.

However, the press and Sky don't analyse this or the fact that we're leaking goals now we've reverted back to man to man marking, instead they focus on the squad Rafa left and how it's all his fault instead of focussing on the above, and numerous other inadequacies in our current incompetent manager.

Was I the only one truly suprised and shocked?

you generally know by the way we start a game how it's gonna go.

look at the chelsea game, we hit the ground running and never stopped until we were 2 nil up at half time.

we've had plenty of results like this wolves one during the last 20 years. I remember losing to watford one year and that was their only win of the season.

we are far too complacent against teams from the bottom of the table and we have been for as long as we've stopped winning leagues.