You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

In defence of AvB over the Lukaku article - every manager must have fall outs with players. Look at Fergie and that young lad who's name escapes me (Researched this post well!) and Mancini with Tevez.

I would like to think his Chelsea experience would be a little kick up the arse and he takes that into becoming a LFC legend if appointed?

In defence of AvB over the Lukaku article - every manager must have fall outs with players. Look at Fergie and that young lad who's name escapes me (Researched this post well!) and Mancini with Tevez.

I would like to think his Chelsea experience would be a little kick up the arse and he takes that into becoming a LFC legend if appointed?

Shrek?

That's the fella, Ravel Morrison. Who knows if Lukaku isn't as much of a twat behind the scenes?

And the Shrek shout is a good one, wasn't Rooney all but gone a few years ago? Bit funny as soon as AvB is linked to us a former player gives an "exclusive" putting him down. Get used to it AvB if you get the job fella.

When AvB left, they were still on course for those titles and only 3 pts from 4th. We've no idea what would have happened.

I agree, we have no idea what would have happened. I also know what happened, they won what was there to be won, as much as I dislike it. Again, fuck them, I find that club repugnant.

I guess they had a theoretical chance to win the PL, as well, when Villas Boas got the sack. I somehow, deep inside me, have a hunch that they may not have won that title even with him in charge. However I cannot rule it out, either. And again, fuck Villas Boas, I dislike him, as well, does not fit the ethos of our club.

What exactly do you like about it? Its complete bollocks. Souness wasn't manager here during the 80s, he wasn't manager here for 5 years and he did win something. It is however, a piece of piss to win stuff with porto. They lost 1 league game this season and won the league again. I have absolutely no idea who their manager is. Why not get him in?

I think it was the way in which he won against his better opponents which was most impressive. 5 goals against Benfica, 10 over two legs against Spartak Moscow, 7 goals over two legs against Villareal (top 4 la liga team at the time).

But it seemed to backfire at Chelsea because he played an open game against Man Utd and lost, even though Chelsea probably created the most chances. Same with the Arsenal game. They created a lot of chances but they conceded a lot of goals. Was that because of the players not being suited to the tactics or his tactics not being suited to the PL?

I just want him because like Bielsa he has a very offensive way of playing, and his teams play with no fear of any team unlike our teams under the last three or four managers who would be pretty defensive in certain games and try and keep the score down.

There isn't really an outstanding candidate for me. Villas Boas is probably top of the list, but compared with 2004 - even considering the lack of CL football this time around - there isn't really a manager out there who I'd have absolute faith in.

There isn't really an outstanding candidate for me. Villas Boas is probably top of the list, but compared with 2004 - even considering the lack of CL football this time around - there isn't really a manager out there who I'd have absolute faith in.

Should be Rafa.

We are in the doo doo.

Nice article about Villas Boas and what went wrong at Chelsea here. Why Andre Villas Boas Will be a Success at Liverpool‏ « katecohensoccer

Nice article, though I don't fully agree with some of the conclusions it makes about our squad's suitability to the system.

Firstly, if Ramires is the model of the RCM role, then I think the best suited player already on our books would be Henderson, rather than Gerrard. He has energy, a great work rate and decent pace which I think are the primary attributes required for the role. Stevie's getting on a bit and has lost some of his pace/stamina due to injuries.

Gerrard could certainly be our playmaker, but again there are issues. If Lampard was deemed to be lacking in sufficient discipline to play that position by Villas Boas, then by the same token, surely Stevie would be tarred with the same brush in his eyes? Truth be told, I think AVB would look to phase Gerrard out, though probably with somewhat less vigour than he did at Chelsea (I'd imagine he's learnt something of a lesson on that score).

Also, I'm not sure Suárez is suited to the "Hulk role", unless the idea is applied very liberally. I think to get the best out of Carroll, Luis needs to get in near him (á la Nolan at Newcastle). Much of Carroll's recent promising form has been in no small part down to a growing understanding between him and Luis. As such, I'd be wary of making any changes in the dynamic and philosophy between the two of them, for fear of disrupting a blossoming partnership.

As the article points out, the most glaring weakness (if we were to implement such a system) in our squad is the LW position. To put it mildly, Downing's form has been a touch underwhelming. We'd need a killer signing in that position to have any chance of a front 3 effective enough to stand a chance of Champions League qualification.

A few lesser points:

Do Carroll, Adam (and maybe now Gerrard, unfortunately) have the pace/mobility to function in such a system?

Which was Enrique's true form: that which he showed before or after Christmas? And IMO, even when he was in fine form, his crossing and general attacking play left a lot to be desired. As such, is he suited to such an attacking role or would we need to sign YET ANOTHER first choice left back? (The fact that we may even have to buy another backup left back this summer is depressing, given how much money we've spent searching for somewhat decent enough to play there over the last 5 or so seasons).

And of course, the most important point to make is that this is all most likely moot as AVB probably won't be our manager anyway.

Nice article, though I don't fully agree with some of the conclusions it makes about our squad's suitability to the system.

Interesting. Agree for the most part couple of points though.

Suarez was at Ajax doing the whole 433 thing for what 4-5 years, so it won't be a problem for him. He spent most of his time on the right and left, so he'll know the role well enough and let's face it, he's going to interpret that role in his own completely unpredictable way.

I disagree about Henderson as well. He has the attributes you mention, but *today*, he is not decisive enough to play that role. That role needs Gerrards quality IMO.

Carroll for me is a 442/451 merchant so where he fits into the scheme of things, who knows.

I think Henderson free of defensive duties would thrive in that role cos the boy can pick a pass he just needs the movement

Plus hopefully he's learnt a lot and grew a bit in stature too

For me it's not so very different a role from the narrow RCM role he played this season. And he didn't impose himself on it. He didn't even manage to form any kind of meaningful partnerships. One manager has already paid the price for waiting for him to add something to his game. We don't have that luxury next year.

Gerrard has only a couple of years left in him, we need to get the most out of him that we can and that is forward IMO.

Guest ShoePiss

Not quite :-

Yet Ayre explained for all the romance of the cup runs, the Premier League and a top four tilt remained the minimum target... and for very good financial reason.

“It was never about an individual result - and rightly so. It was always about taking a review of the stock of the season in full,” the MD explained.

“People don’t want to hear that football is a business. They want to see us put lots and lots of money into the team and win lots of trophies and games, but you have got to have both.

“You’ve got to have continued progress in the league. If you don’t do well in that and don’t get into the Champions League, you are writing cheques from your own pocket - and that is not sustainable going forward.”

“You’ve got to have continued progress in the league. If you don’t do well in that and don’t get into the Champions League, you are writing cheques from your own pocket - and that is not sustainable going forward.”

That's the key quote, isn't it? "We're not putting any money in"

Without a cash injection there is no chance of us competing for the league or CL again. Chelsea and Man City have thrown £1bn at it, Arseanl and Man U are generating £1.5m a game more than us.

Without a financial stimulus no mamanger can crack that.

But he briefed journos top 6 will be sound didnt he?

There were several reports the other day where Ayre said off the record that 5th or 6th would be acceptable. I'm sure I read that in a few pieces. Not saying I necessarily believe it, they are newspapers after all but grom what I know from other people it seems correct.